The Lowest Common Denominator Thread

basketbulge

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been here since 2004, and I've definitely noticed the sea change. It's not a bad thing, it's just different. Now when I visit I find I have this underlying sadness where excitement used to be. It's subtle, but I feel it.

The bulk of my post history has been under the radar in the games forum, but I've always been voracious about reading etcetera. IMO it's the real juice of this site. It may seem odd to others, but besides the hordes of new unknown members, I believe it's a sense of abandonment that is causing my sadness. The fact is, people I cared a great deal about are gone. Whether I've had the fortune to interact directly with them or not, I've loved sharing this patch of interweb. It's about relationships, and finding them suddenly missing. I appreciate many here will roll their eyes and think I should get the fuck over it.

It's not surprising to me that some of my favourite personalities have posted in this thread. Thanks for making me feel connected in something I thought was just me.

I'm struck by the timing of this thread. As I've slowly inched my way toward 1000 posts I've been reflective about my presence here. I've thought a lot about packing it in when I reach that milestone. It's made me conscious of my pace, and selective about my contributions because I'm certain a part of me doesn't wish to walk away from a place that's been like a good friend for so long. Perhaps this thread is meant to turn me around...

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To me, the "Count to 25,000" thread is a perfectly reasonable consequence of the congratulation threads that get posted every time a member hits their X000th post. Celebrating the mere quantity of someone's posts encourages people to boost their post counts, with "Count to 25,000" a predictable result.

How many of you who are complaining about "inane threads" have participated in these milestone celebrations?

My advice:
  1. Don't participate in pointless threads. Every time you post, they get bumped back up to the top. (I confess that I have trouble myself walking away from threads that have devolved into pointlessness, but I'm working on it.)
  2. Instead of just complaining, use the tools the code gives you. At the top of every thread is a poll to rate the thread. LPSG culture has never embraced this tool -- why not? You also have the ability to sort boards by rating, so that low rated threads get moved off the front page even if bumped.
  3. And really, if you feel a need to celebrate someone's X000th post, send them a PM. Or find something worth celebrating other than how talkative that person is.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
To me, the "Count to 25,000" thread is a perfectly reasonable consequence of the congratulation threads that get posted every time a member hits their X000th post. Celebrating the mere quantity of someone's posts encourages people to boost their post counts, with "Count to 25,000" a predictable result.

I had two nasty PMs about not congratulating people on those, I'll have you know. :rolleyes:

As post counts in the thousands are far from scarce now, these 'congratulation' threads have indeed become a near-daily occurrence of late; or it feels that way, at least. Clicking on them is likely to prompt an epileptic fit in some, anyway, due to the sheer quantity of smileys posted. Fortiesfun at least addressed the problem of 'quantity over quality' being a real issue in his 10,000 thread. Still didn't post on the thing, though. :rolleyes:

I've actually been dreading hitting 10,000, for fear of someone starting a thread on it. Seriously. My hate of 'appreciation threads' for posters is well-known as is. I took a few weeks away from LPSG the last time someone started one about me.

Instead of just complaining, use the tools the code gives you. At the top of every thread is a poll to rate the thread. LPSG culture has never embraced this tool -- why not? You also have the ability to sort boards by rating, so that low rated threads get moved off the front page even if bumped.

It's a shame the 'ratings' don't show up on the main "today's posts" page, only when you view individual fora. Is there any way to change this in the coding, since I get the impression (admittedly, from scattered anecdotal evidence only) that most people don't search on a forum-by-forum basis?

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

How many of you who are complaining about "inane threads" have participated in these milestone celebrations?

My advice:
  1. Don't participate in pointless threads. Every time you post, they get bumped back up to the top. (I confess that I have trouble myself walking away from threads that have devolved into pointlessness, but I'm working on it.)
  2. Instead of just complaining, use the tools the code gives you. At the top of every thread is a poll to rate the thread. LPSG culture has never embraced this tool -- why not? You also have the ability to sort boards by rating, so that low rated threads get moved off the front page even if bumped.
  3. And really, if you feel a need to celebrate someone's X000th post, send them a PM. Or find something worth celebrating other than how talkative that person is.

Well I hope you're proud of yourself mindseye. You've gone and infused common sense into a perfectly good bitch session, rendering it impotent.:biggrin1:

Good post.

The only defense I would have for the 'milestone threads' is that I think the appreciation shown is generally for the quality of the member, and that the milestone number just offers a convenient opportunity to give the individual a shoutout. They do turn into suckfests though, and I've been as guilty as anyone of being on the giving end of the suckage.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've actually been dreading hitting 10,000, for fear of someone starting a thread on it. Seriously.

In your case, I suspect that a thread on your 10,000th attachment is more in order. Heh.

Is there any way to change this in the coding, since I get the impression (admittedly, from scattered anecdotal evidence only) that most people don't search on a forum-by-forum basis?

Crap, I have to be difficult, don't I? I look forum-by-forum, so I hadn't noticed that. But getting the ratings to appear in search results (the "today's posts" list is one) is a good suggestion. I'll pass it on to Rob_E myself if you don't wish to.

hypolimnas

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes I miss some of the people I got to know well. I realise now that I spent so much time getting to know them that I don't actually know any of the others who are still here, or have joined more recently. I also have a personality that has always seen things a bit differently here, but overall I don't think the diversity of views has diminished which is good.

I used to be able to log on once a day and read everything since I last logged on the day before. Now that is impossible. It is harder to find the interesting stuff. I seem to just find things of interest randomly.

It has always been a struggle for me to accept the view that everyone has the democratic right to be ignorant and abusive. There does seem to be more ignorance and abuse, as well as boring cliche. So many people have nothing to bring to the table but the inane.

General tolerance and respect seem to be on the decline. They should never be taken for granted in any aspect of life. Yes, I'm feeling very old right now.

My general rule is to come here when I feel like it, read what seems interesting, speak when I have something to say, and remain hopeful that I might just learn something new.

Thanks for this thread, you all summed up quite a few things I had been pondering.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A lot of what has been said here has been on my mind for the past few weeks or so. I share the exact sentiment of Alex8, Jeff Black and many others on this thread who have noticed the changes on the site. I understand why some have decided to post less, take a break or leave because I too am finding less and less threads to post or contribute to here or they are more difficult to find.

I wonder if these are just growing pains that have a structural solution in the organization of the site or if it is just the change in what people find interesting to talk about but I agree that the original magic is being diluted and the quality of posts is being replaced by quanity.

My feeling is if we loose the great discussions, posts and posters this place just becomes another one-dimensional sex board like most out there, there won't be any compelling interest for many here to stay or for others to join. LPSG is more than a one dimensional place. People make this place what it is.

The mix of people here is rare and appealing and so are the threads filled with wit, humor, candor, humanity and thoughtfulness which make this place magical at times. It's the reason why I return and contribute when I can but I have the same ambivalent feelings as Basketbulge these days.

I enjoy reading posts from many here. I've learned a great deal here and laughed a lot too. I've also been rubbed the wrong way and ego stroked too. But I get the feeling that many of these folks feel that they post in vain or don't realize they make this place special. Many don't get "appreciated" or even given a nod in response these days and good posts are easily missed and lost amid the noise. I've been guilty of not responding in threads or following up because sometimes I can't readily find them as I'm not here everyday and the threads just die.

Although change is inevitable, people come and go, and human dynamics flare up, there needs to be a critical mass of quality threads and posters here to keep the momemtum. Inertia only works in space.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
MRearl said:
A lot of what has been said here has been on my mind for the past few weeks or so. I share the exact sentiment of Alex8, Jeff Black and many others on this thread who have noticed the changes on the site. I understand why some have decided to post less, take a break or leave because I too am finding less and less threads to post or contribute to here or they are more difficult to find.

I wonder if these are just growing pains that have a structural solution in the organization of the site or if it is just the change in what people find interesting to talk about but I agree that the original magic is being diluted and the quality of posts is being replaced by quanity.

I think there are people here that have actually brought the site down in terms of pleasantness. Those few members are allowed to make rude comments to other posters, without being challenged. Someone said it above, but once upon a time, a member who was attacked another would be sternly spoken to by members. As well, troll hunting was popular and easy to do. Now, some trolls are blending and and gaining respect, lashing out at members with ease and receiving no concequences. Sorry folks, I'm all for people having free speech, but insults are not required or permitted.

Never have been, never will be. It's one thing I have noticed that has changed.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Personally, I think things have gotten out of hand when not only am I one of the voices of reason, but am also called "boring" and "no fun", for stepping in and pointing out inanity.

I'm the first to admit, that I've posted ridiculous one-lined flirts, I've been in a good handful of "_,000 posts" threads, etc., but I've also bared painful experiences, given advice, linked to relevant facts, and posted gallery material (well, on some boards, that's a big deal). I think my membership here has been generally well-rounded, having been both one of the "idiots", and one of the "scholars".

That relates to the first problem that I've been seeing more of, that is, that there are a lot more of the "idiots" posing as "scholars". That is, a seemingly innocent question is posed by someone "in need" of advice, etc. then in several posts, reveals that they're "playing" the board for amusement. Personally, I find it "disruptive", but generally, it's classed as simply annoying.

I've tried to pose logical, well, technical, reasons why "Count to 25K" isn't the best idea for the board, but instead, was told privately to mind my own business, and let people have "fun". Um, OK, if posting "194" (randomly spewed number) is really going to make or break your day, far be it for me to be a "fun crushing bastard". I was just trying to outline that this type of thread is becoming part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Which gets to my final point. People have gotten really nasty. Now, don't get me wrong, when I see something that I don't like, I point it out to people. However, this is usually done with illustrating posting examples, and perhaps a snide, yet hopefully witty, comment. I have gone as far as refering to people as "idiots", but if you look at my post history, it's rare that I label people, call names (OK, OTHER than calling them "trolls" :tongue:), or engage in any nastiness, or otherwise "sink to their level". I much prefer showing how they've dug, or mildly baiting them to allow them to dig, their own graves. Lately, however, people have gotten outright mean, very nasty, and quick to attack, when it comes to other members saying something that they don't like, and by that, I mean, even just an opinion, and often not even a strong or controversial one.

I've thought that perhaps this is all "just me". That my membership is in transition from a "teen" just-wanna-have-fun n00b, to an "adult" back-in-MY-day established member. Or, perhaps that's not even the case, perhaps it's just a change in me personally.

Of course the biggest problem with all of this, is that this thread is only being read by the "converted". The "counting" throngs ("Big words scare me!") will never step foot in here. Unfortunately, it's just a bit of "mental masturbation" for us, and a nice venting spot, so that we know that we're not alone. :sad:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Having written a few search engines I know how hard it can be to strike a balance between comprehensiveness and speed but how about a synopsis field - 20-50 words describing succinctly what the thread is about.

Provide an option to search that in conjuction with keywords rather than the entire corpus. It would also be useful to limit results to posts (or threads) made or started by specified poster(s) and/or between certain dates or even fora.

This thread:

"Discuss perceived drop in quality of posts - growth in one line or simple link based posts without supporting comments. Effects of change in membership over time."

If nothing else it could save cpu cycles. This saving may perhaps be used offset any extra cycles used by introducing a boolean search option suggested elsewhere.

Just an idea.....

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That relates to the first problem that I've been seeing more of, that is, that there are a lot more of the "idiots" posing as "scholars". That is, a seemingly innocent question is posed by someone "in need" of advice, etc. then in several posts, reveals that they're "playing" the board for amusement. Personally, I find it "disruptive", but generally, it's classed as simply annoying.

Which gets to my final point. People have gotten really nasty. Now, don't get me wrong, when I see something that I don't like, I point it out to people. However, this is usually done with illustrating posting examples, and perhaps a snide, yet hopefully witty, comment. I have gone as far as refering to people as "idiots", but if you look at my post history, it's rare that I label people, call names (OK, OTHER than calling them "trolls" :tongue:), or engage in any nastiness, or otherwise "sink to their level". I much prefer showing how they've dug, or mildly baiting them to allow them to dig, their own graves. Lately, however, people have gotten outright mean, very nasty, and quick to attack, when it comes to other members saying something that they don't like, and by that, I mean, even just an opinion, and often not even a strong or controversial one.

:sad:

I think part of the problem is new members assuming that since one person made a half-joking comment about another member that it's time to pile on and add 10 more comments that go beyond joking and into hateful criticism. There's a community of friends that exist in LPSG beyond the message board (PM's, MSN, phone, neighbors,etc.) and part of developing a deeper friendship with an individual is often enjoying the ability to 'bust each others balls' with no malice. To partake in the ball busting without having first developed that friendship is taking a shortcut that's often not appreciated.

Also, not to harp on this, but having decent writing skills also helps a member ride that fine line between being offensive and witty. We ALL have a post or two that we're probably not proud of, where another Member was either hurt, or just didn't get the joke, but developing a good track record should give an individual a few 'get out of jail free cards' regarding posts that didn't work out.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
My two cents worth is that linking the lack of really good, deep threads to the plethora of shallow, silly ones is probably misleading.

There is a lot of bizarrely inane stuff posted daily, but it is easy enough to ignore anything that doesn't interest you. I am among those who think that shallow posts do little harm, and I've been around long enough to realize that even old-timers sometimes contribute to fleshpiles, post one-liners, and congratulate their friends on reaching post #s, having birthdays, getting laid, coming out, or any number of other items specific to an individual poster. What seems meaningless and mindnumbing, I've found over time, is in the eye of the beholder. That is to say, I don't think weak threads are crowding out strong ones.

But I have noticed a change myself, in the last year, and that is a greater reluctance to post to more thoughtful threads than used to be the case. I am not blaming anyone but just noting how many of us, including most of the posters to this thread, have moderated their output downward. After carrying on a long, probably pedantic, exchange about post-Foucault social constructionism with Alex8 (woven into a broader thread) I, myself, decided to do less of that kind of posting because at the time it seemed the trend was to complain that the site was losing its focus on big dicks and support and trending way too far into queer theory for the tastes of most members at the time.

My own suggestion about how to bring back a greater sense of community, unsuccessfully floated on a couple of earlier occasions, is to think about creating a wikipedia style forum for perennial topics in which we might make some actual progress as opposed to simply replough the same ground in monthly or bi-monthly cycles. There are a handful of topics that seem to pop up with incredible frequency which could be usefully summarized by a moderator or member-editor every so often and posted as FAQs, which could then invite further comment. (I'd propose that a critical look at penis size surveys and world-wide size distribution estimates which collected data, cited sources, and followed up on legitimate questions would be a real contribution to the site since that is allegedly why most members come here in the first place, but there may be many other topics where something beyong rehashing of personal opinions is useful.)

speshk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There's no time like the present since the grass is always greener but you get nothing for free because you look like somebody shot at and missed, shit at and hit as proof of the pudding is in the eating so I'll tickle your fancy until you spin like a top but don't turn the tables so you can dance the night away.

Classic!

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My own suggestion about how to bring back a greater sense of community, unsuccessfully floated on a couple of earlier occasions, is to think about creating a wikipedia style forum for perennial topics in which we might make some actual progress as opposed to simply replough the same ground in monthly or bi-monthly cycles. There are a handful of topics that seem to pop up with incredible frequency which could be usefully summarized by a moderator or member-editor every so often and posted as FAQs, which could then invite further comment. (I'd propose that a critical look at penis size surveys and world-wide size distribution estimates which collected data, cited sources, and followed up on legitimate questions would be a real contribution to the site since that is allegedly why most members come here in the first place, but there may be many other topics where something beyong rehashing of personal opinions is useful.)

Excellent suggestion. Mind if I bring it to Rob's attention?

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think that forties jarred something for me. That is, I guess we just have to keep at it. If we lighten up on our bursts of substance, "then the terrorists win." If we don't counter the "counters" with content, and don't shun the "Shit and Shaving" with sharpness, then we've given up, and willingly turned it over to their ilk.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Let's not knock the "Count to 25,000" thread. It's just about the only thing which could possibly make the perennial "am I big?" threads look relatively tolerable - no mean accomplishment.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Let's not knock the "Count to 25,000" thread. It's just about the only thing which could possibly make the perennial "am I big?" threads look relatively tolerable - no mean accomplishment.
Unless you want a "Congratulations on 2,500, Big Dirge!!!" thread, you'll knock it off right NOW, little mister.

I fully admit to having a couple of numbers there, and in this case, am guilty of contributing to the problem, but I thought it would die within a page or two. I entirely underestimated the draw of empty posting.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My two cents worth is that linking the lack of really good, deep threads to the plethora of shallow, silly ones is probably misleading.

There is a lot of bizarrely inane stuff posted daily, but it is easy enough to ignore anything that doesn't interest you. I am among those who think that shallow posts do little harm, and I've been around long enough to realize that even old-timers sometimes contribute to fleshpiles, post one-liners, and congratulate their friends on reaching post #s, having birthdays, getting laid, coming out, or any number of other items specific to an individual poster. What seems meaningless and mindnumbing, I've found over time, is in the eye of the beholder. That is to say, I don't think weak threads are crowding out strong ones.

But I have noticed a change myself, in the last year, and that is a greater reluctance to post to more thoughtful threads than used to be the case. I am not blaming anyone but just noting how many of us, including most of the posters to this thread, have moderated their output downward. After carrying on a long, probably pedantic, exchange about post-Foucault social constructionism with Alex8 (woven into a broader thread) I, myself, decided to do less of that kind of posting because at the time it seemed the trend was to complain that the site was losing its focus on big dicks and support and trending way too far into queer theory for the tastes of most members at the time.

Excellent, hope that can be made to work.

There are many new posters, who ask good questions, that have been covered many times. Perhaps some old and excellent posters that don't have an inclination to repeat themselves.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Excellent suggestion. Mind if I bring it to Rob's attention?

It's worth mentioning that when Rob_E made his introductory post as site owner on 1st December 2005, this was in fact one of his stated intentions:

Rob_E said:
The first thing that I will do as new owner will be to empower the more active members here as moderators and super moderators. Next, I would like to fix all of the bugs associated with the move from Invision to vBulletin. Finally, I would like to start adding features to this site that will make it a more enjoyable community for everyone. I'm open to any ideas, but here are some that I have:

1. Improve the gallery feature so that it is better integrated with the user profile system.

2. Create a system to facilitate "Large Penis Encounters" (working title) where guys and gals can use the site to set up "real world" connections.

3. A wiki type system that helps us to effectively organize knowledge so that people can use this site as an educational resource effectively.

4. A rating system where guys can get their schlongs rated by the other members.

5. Improve the chat room feature.

6. Create a store where members can purchase upgrades such as myname@lpsg.org email address with points earned according to forum activity.

7,8,9??? etc., to be determined by YOU the members.