the m3t4l

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by hawt, Aug 8, 2008.

1. hawt

hawt New Member

Albums:
    does anyone here listen to metal? And no, system of a down is not metal metal is like parkway drive or 3 inches of blood. If you do, any suggestions?

2. Kassokilleri2ff

I love metal. What bands do you like? I could suggest more of similar type, or if your looking for a certain sound I can help you out ^_^. I like pretty much all types of metal, Death, thrash, power, melodic death, black, regular old heavy metal. All the stuff In between. I don't know much about the wierd new stuff like sludge and crap like that, but I know alot of stuff.

3. hawt

hawt New Member

Albums:
    Oh where to begin... Suicide silence, hacksaw to the throat, job for a cowboy, etc. You?

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

I like a lot of industrial and German stuff. Death metal was never really my thing. Closest I ever got was In Flames, and I was into Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom (less so) for a while.
    But thank you for saying SoaD isn't metal. It annoys me when people call themselves metalheads and their favorite band is Korn. It rocks, yes... but it's not metal. I can think of plenty of lesser known bands that make better music more consistently.

5. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Morbid Saint, brutal thrash metal, I like Death too, Meshuggah is awesome as well, Opeth (sort of, not really metal), uh, Candlemass, High On Fire, Mastodon, Corrosion Of Conformity's Blind album is excellent, the recent Exodus albums are pretty good, I love Fantomas but I don't know how to categorize them, but they are heavy, I don't think you will like them though, Voivod...uhmmm, I can't think of anything else right now.

6. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    Metal is not really my kind of music, but once I heard this group called Pelikan (I think it was with a 'k') and I really liked it. It was really good. I was told they did some type of metal (honestly, I can't remember which 'branch' they were).

Sorry if it isn't metal at all! Maybe it's rock, but as I said I'm no connoissseur.

7. morsecode

morsecode New Member

It was with a c, they sound post-metal-ish, under that realm I prefer, Neurosis, Isis, and Battle of Mice

8. Mr. Bungle

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sure, I dig metal. Good stuff that ain't SOaD.. :biggrin1: Haven't been into it quite as much lately, but some of my favorites include Maiden, Pantera, Morbid Angel, older Metallica, Dimmu, and lately more symphonic-sounding stuff like Symphony X, Blind Guardian and Kamelot... and then of course there are my old favorites Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius and ICED EARTH...

9. D_Bozhidar_Boogerpicquer

I'm into metal.... Real metal, not the shitty metalcore garbage like 3 Inches Of Blood, JFAC and Parkway Drive; which is just as bad as shit like SOAD.

Do yourself a favour and listen to stuff like: Amon Amarth, Bathory, Carcass, Windir, DEATH, Atheist, Burzum, Enslaved, Cynic, Wintersun, Tyr, Dissection, Sigh, Pain of Salvation, Vio-lence, Drudkh, Mercyful Fate, Wolves In The Throne Room, Deströyer 666, Suidakra, Kreator, Iron Maiden, Suffocation Kronos, IMMOLATION, Gorguts, Evoken and last but not least, the almighty EMPEROR.

Even bands like Manowar beat that metalcore shit.

10. morsecode

morsecode New Member

nevermore, overkill, sepultura, kreator, slayer

11. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Meshuggah is literally the heaviest band I've ever heard. And Opeth...

Opeth is the best. I disagree about them not being metal, though. They're metal as hell, but so much more. Apart from their beautiful melodic side (which nearly all metal bands try and fail miserably) I think Martin Lopez's jazzy, latin drumming style throws people who are more into traditional rush-the-beat triggered pounding that's ubiquitous within the genre.

I'd call Blackwater Park my favorite album of all time if I have such a thing--it should be required listening for any metalhead. It's mature metal with purpose, aesthetic purity and what compositional brilliance can be attributed to a metal band while lacking the corniness that pervades MANY metal bands who are too caught up in being \M/

I'm a major metalhead, but as a musician myself I'm very critical of the genre. It seems to create both the best and worst current music available.

12. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

Metal kicks ass. I listen to Nevermore, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Kamelot, and many others.

13. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Yeah I take that back,I had my head on my ass on that one, don't know why I wrote it, maybe I was thinking of Fantomas (which could be considered metal, but Patton acts like he's Ella Fitzgerald on acid there, they are fucking awesome)...I mean, Demon Of The Fall not metal?, what was I thinking? Too bad Martin Lopez is gone. I saw them at Progressive Nation with Dream Theater, they were easily the best band that night.

I thought of more bands, Pig Destroyer (extreme metal, their last album is very, very good), Baroness (metal with some southern accents, Red Album is pretty damn good too), Kyuss (stoner metal, Blues for the Red Sun should be required a listen), The Melvins (grungy sludge metal, they are veeeery slooooow, which adds to their charm, but their album Houdini is more grunge and a very good starting point, also Ozma, Gluey Porch Treatments, Bullhead, and Stoner Witch)

edit: oooh, you are a musician, I take you are a guitar player? are you a professional?

14. erratic

Gold Member

Ministry's Psalm 69 is one of the sweetest albums of all time. Just One Fix, Jesus Built My Hotrod, Psalm 69, Hero, Scarecrow, and that shit-crazy noise nightmare they rammed on to the end of the album. It's just screaming and meatboxes and all craziness. Love it.

Sepultura, of course. Metallica back when they were rocking the mullets. Elf rock in general is pretty crazy too.

I also have to prop for Gwar. Okay - I know it. They're not very good. But they're awesome in a Wondershowzen sort of way and they've got some serious lasting power.

Someone emailed this to me and I have to pass it on.

YouTube - Slayer - Angel of Death 8-BIT Style Version 1

15. Kassokilleri2ff

lol forgot about this thread. Well i like; Deeds of flesh, nile, cephalic Carnage, decapitated, krisiun, death, morbid angel, satanic warmaster, marduk, emperor, razor, metalucifer, artillery, children of bodom, iced earth, stratovarius, dream evil, rhapsody of fire just to name a few.

I went to ozzfest last weekend. There werent really any bands i ever listened to or heard of there, But i did enjoy shadows fall metallica and ozzy of course. This band devil driver, i never liked any of the stuff i heard when they came out, but i think they played all songs from thier newest album which was pretty much a death metal album, so i enjoyed that too. They had some gay shit there too tho, like serj tanakin from soad, he was dumb. And some other wierd bands.

Draft saved Draft deleted