The mediocrity police

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sent to my local politicians:

Free people everywhere deserve a place where communication can continue unhindered by governments and their respective issues. Those of us who object to wire-tapping our phone conversations are no less incensed that our online conversations may come under the watchful eye of whatever government is in control, for whatever their reasons.
Surely our government has enough issues to face without invading the privacy of it's citizens. I urgently implore you to vote to keep the internet free, and keep "The Land Of The Free" as it's supposed to be, instead of turning it into a bad internet joke.
Our forefathers are rolling in their graves.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We might be an online dick group, but if we actually talk to each other, perhaps we can get a few things done.
Like so many have said before, I love my country, but I fear my government. If they get their way, we might not be able to talk to each other at all. Please keep supporting any efforts to keep the internet free of government interferance. Our very site depends on it.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
PBS and NPR are partially funded by tax dollars. That means you and I are forced to pay for it (in part) whether we like it or not.

Just thought I'd point out another way of looking at it.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Shelby said:
PBS and NPR are partially funded by tax dollars. That means you and I are forced to pay for it (in part) whether we like it or not.

Kind of like the war in Iraq.

Reactions: dreamer20

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
If NPR is truly a national treasure, why not put it up for sale and remove it from the government tax rolls?

True, while anyone can turn on NPR and listen in, their true $demographic$ is middle-aged, white, and somewhat wealthy. Is that a slice of our country that needs subsidies from Washington?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Shelby said:

While you are technically correct, at about $1.15 per citizen per year for PBS as opposed to the £131 per year it costs here just to use a colour TV (£44 for B/W) even if you don't watch BBC; I would count your lucky stars and bite your tongue.:tongue:

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
brainzz_n_dong said:
True, while anyone can turn on NPR and listen in, their true $demographic$ is middle-aged, white, and somewhat wealthy. Is that a slice of our country that needs subsidies from Washington?
Sure is. Tried to tell you them niggers have a one-track mind, buddy. Heed my motherfucking words.

Good to see you posting again, Brainzz.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have to let you know somethign about pbs, I pay my 1.15 like most of us do if we bother to pay our taxes. And I was watching hdtv broadcast of PBS on a local station that was piggie backing the signal on a second digital channel when all the sudden the broadcast stopped. It took a month to get a reply from the local station but I was told in an email from WITF in harrigburg that PBS required Witf to pay 30,000 dollars to continue broadcasting the signal. This from a station funded by our tax dollars and now I can't see it. How can a public station funded by the government cause this to happen restrict local onair broadcast for more mon ey when there suppose to be non profit to begin with. I want my 1.15 back, lol.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
brainzz_n_dong said:
If NPR is truly a national treasure, why not put it up for sale and remove it from the government tax rolls?

There are some things that should remain non-commercial in the national interest. A high quality broadcast journalism outlet that is does not have to please advertisers and does not have to compete head to head for marketshare is one of those things. The journalism on pbs is outstanding since they feel they have the time to devote to subjects in the depth they deserve. If they had to become commercial, they would end up with 7 second sound-bite news and stupid shock jocks like the rest of them.

Now that noone reads newspapers anymore, someone has to devote more than 7 seconds to complex technological, political, and economic issues.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dong20 said:
While you are technically correct, at about $1.15 per citizen per year for PBS as opposed to the £131 per year it costs here just to use a colour TV (£44 for B/W) even if you don't watch BBC; I would count your lucky stars and bite your tongue.:tongue:

Yes, but the BBC new service is one of the best in the world. It is known for its in depth and unbiased reporting. I recommend any Americans listen to BBC world news every so often and hear what the rest of the world is saying about world events.

I am no recommending that we don't have commercial broadcasting, I am just making a point about quality journalism. This is important because quality journalism is a necessity for a democracy.

"Were I to have the choice between a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I'd choose the latter." - Thomas Jefferson

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Shelby said:

I knew you'd weigh in with that Shelby.

So then you find pubilc dollars funding an elevated level of non-advertising television somehow a misuse of your tax dollars?

THINK IRAQ.:rolleyes:

brainzz said:

You must be watching a different PBS than I.

And do you have something against middle-aged white people?:33: Christ .. many of their PRIVATE dollars goes to its funding.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
JustAsking said:
Yes, but the BBC new service is one of the best in the world. It is known for its in depth and unbiased reporting. I recommend any Americans listen to BBC world news every so often and hear what the rest of the world is saying about world events.

Thank you for your faith in the BBC, I agree, it wasn't a gripe I think it's worth the money. But if most Americans listened to the BBC they may realise that 95% of the world isn't America....imagine the consequences..:tongue:

JustAsking said:
I am no recommending that we don't have commercial broadcasting, I am just making a point about quality journalism. This is important because quality journalism is a necessity for a democracy.

"Were I to have the choice between a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I'd choose the latter." - Thomas Jefferson

Commerical broadcasting has it's place, I may be a snob but I can't say I'd miss 95% of it should it suddenly vanish one day. Starting with Big Brother and those awful castaway/suvival shows, should just ship them off to their island and leave them there...for ever..:biggrin1:

I agree with you about Journalism but much of the modern press is hardly guilty of practicing journalism...:rolleyes:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
brainzz_n_dong said:

Hundreds of billions of dollars and how many thousands of lives squandered for the Boy King's distraction in Iraq and the Republicans want us to be upset about miniscule subsidies for public broadcasting.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There's ALREADY too much advertising on NPR/PBS. Station acknowlegements from foundations that bear the names of their robber-baron founders.

The public broadcasting phenomenon in the USA is nothing short of a miracle. In public radio, for instance, I understand that over half of all funds come from listeners. (I'm one of them) It's so valuable, people actually pay for it, directly and voluntarily. If some small shred of the funds come from the government that's right and proper--and in proportion.

Besides, the commercial media are funded by a tax, and we have no control over how it's spent. That tax is called PROFIT.

That the wealthy and well-educated listen more often is irrelevant. It performs a necessary service for everyone.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
headbang8 said:
There's ALREADY too much advertising on NPR/PBS. Station acknowlegements from foundations that bear the names of their robber-baron founders.

The public broadcasting phenomenon in the USA is nothing short of a miracle. In public radio, for instance, I understand that over half of all funds come from listeners. (I'm one of them) It's so valuable, people actually pay for it, directly and voluntarily. If some small shred of the funds come from the government that's right and proper--and in proportion.

Besides, the commercial media are funded by a tax, and we have no control over how it's spent. That tax is called PROFIT.

That the wealthy and well-educated listen more often is irrelevant. It performs a necessary service for everyone.

By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I actually work in the commercial media.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Dr. D - Thanks bro. I'm back from my seasonal exile. Now I'm just another mosquito at this summer picnic ;)

Just Asking - I can see where you come from in the desire for wanting more than 'sneeze and you missed it' journalism we seem to have today. It's all I've known growing up. Like or hate the content at times, NPR does devote time to what they do AND they don't scream each other down.

I guess that forms the core of why I'd still say that they can make it w/o gov't help. Because they are so different as compared to their competition, I would think that the rest of network "journalism" has so differentiated itself that they've helped an outlet like NPR create a niche that only it populates. The conservative in me sees what more they could become if they did "go public", not what they might lose if they changed.

Stronzo - You missed the point of my words all together. NPR's listening audience is approx 22 million people. As with all free radio, anyone is welcome to tune in. But the demographics tell the tale that rich, white, middle-aged people are the audience that is its lifeblood. If they want to keep it alive with their own money (or ad $$$ if they did "go public" so to speak) I have no problem with that. Still, why do we need to in-part subsidize the listening habits of rich, white, middle-aged people? I'm not knocking anyone, just asking a question. I guess I'm riding the little short bus in my thinking that NPR could become even stronger if cut loose.

And it's not the point of the money - $115 or so million in a budget of $2.5 Trillion isn't a huge piece of the pie. As a society, we can't rail against run-away spending if everything is off-limits to cut.