The "Millennials"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by b.c., Nov 12, 2007.

1. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. simcha

Gold Member

Yeah, and they're woefully inadequate as workers. They might be tech savvy, but they don't know how to prioritize or get things done. They have 5 minute attention spans. Also, if you send them on a business trip, make sure you give a geography lesson because none of them can find the USA on a global map. They just don't teach that sort of thing anymore.

And another thing, history? Forget history... They don't know anyting about it, they don't want to hear it, and they think that they'll never have to repeat it because they know better, just ask them.

Well the economy is tanking. The jobs are drying up. Wages are stagnant. I don't know where this person who wrote the article thinks that all these jobs are that these 20 somethings can jump to.

Once recession hits, we'll see what happens to this generation.

And yes, I'm firmly Generation X and I'm here to piss on your party, millenials. I work with homeless millenials and boy are their expectations about life way out of touch with reality. Not everyone is going to be a rap star, pro athelete, super model, singer, musician, or actor. Yes, you're all special in your own ways and as different as little snowflakes. Hopefully you won't melt once global warming gets you.

:sasmokin: Muhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh! *Cough* *Wheeze* *Gasp!*

3. agnslz

Gold Member

My God, you people sound just like your parents.:rolleyes:

4. simcha

Gold Member

Hmmm, kind of funny how that happens... I remember when I thought my parents were the dumbest people in the world and suddenly they became the smartest.. It was somewhere around 28, 29, or 30. Of course, unlike this generation, I had been living independently since I was 24 without taking a penny from my parents so I don't expect these realizations to hit this generation until they are in their late 30s... :biggrin1:

5. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

1988... I have a great attention span, am completing college and moving on to university next year to work toward a masters. I had two jobs all summer and one now that works with money. I'm cell phone illiterate, but know computers at the back of my hand. I have superb customer service skills and always remember that the customer is key to business. I know where USA, Mexico, Europe, Africa, and Canada is on a map and passed Geography with flying colours.

And finally the world doesn't owe me anything, I'm here to earn it. I wont be a model, or famous. Hell I probably will only make as much as the next guy, but I have the drive and ambition to do so.

6. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

“We've been raised to believe that one day we'd all be sports heroes, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we are very, very pissed off.”

7. simcha

Gold Member

Sweetie, you're Canadian.:biggrin1: Of course you learned about geography and you have a great work ethic. I think the Millenials are more of an American phenomenon, IMHO.

And, there are always exceptions to any rule.:wink:

8. agnslz

Gold Member

The "Millenials" are as much an American phenomenon as the "Me Generation" and Gen-X slackers were.

9. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

mmm Canadians :p

10. braumeister

braumeister New Member

Albums:
    I help out with recruiting at my company. The American college kids I interview are dumb (exceptions exist and are rare). Many can't form coherent sentences. When I ask simple technical questions, at best they stumble, at worst, they set they don't know. Contrast that with the foreign students I've interviewed, where I get a mix of dumb ones and damn smart ones. I haven't worked with any Millenials yet... and I hope I don't have to based on my interviewing experience.

I pulled this quote from the article:

"Sociologists tell us most Americans believe adulthood begins at 26 or older"

This is sad. Sad. I think it's disgusting and sad that American culture and law encourage putting off growing up.

There was a line in the article about someone's father getting laid off. My dad spent a lot of time laid off while I was growing up (and yet, somehow my parents managed to send my siblings and I to Catholic school... without help and still paying to fund the failed local public schools). I learned a much different lesson - make yourself valuable to whoever it is that is buying your labor. It doesn't matter if your customer is an employer or an actual customer (i.e. you run your own business), but you need to be valuable to him/her/them and show it. And look out for opportunities where you can make money and still enjoy yourself. This might seem similar, but I think my approach is different, and more likely to keep myself off welfare and in my own house.

Draft saved Draft deleted