The mind of the (un?)married man

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was out with friends last night and a guy and his friend sitting around the corner from us at the sushi bar start talking with us. They seemed pretty cool and the first guy was definitely being flirty. It was fun and he was really cute, so I didn't mind. Any way, as I was returning from the ladies room, he sees me and gestures for me to come sit by him, so I go over there. When I sit down I notice he is wearing a wedding band (something I couldn't see from my angle at the sushi bar previously), so I nod at his finger and ask him if he is married. He smiles quickly and says it's his father's actually, as his father has passed away. When I ask him why he wears it on his wedding finger he said, "ummm, because I get more attention from girls that way?" Now, I know some married guys take off their wedding ring if they are on the prowl, but this was the first I'd heard of a single guy putting one on. This seemed bizarre to me, but I am interested in hearing others thoughts on this. Think he was actually married? Have any of you str8 single guys worn a wedding ring to attract women? Or ladies, have you ever known a guy to do this?

Vampyre13th

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sounds sketchy to me. Could have been a joke, but it was probably the best excuse he could manage at the time. Kudos for calling him out on it.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An original excuse that was not. I don't care if was his great,great,great, Grandpa's ring, you wear a ring wedding on your finger, it's a telltale sign that she/he's off limits, or they have a tough time letting go. Period. No more need be said, unless you really wanna investigate this guy and find out if it's the truth.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've heard of single women wearing a "wedding ring" when they want to go hang out with their girlfriends and not get hit on...

Anyway, I'd call BS also...

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
More like the mind of a married moron. I have heard of single people wearing rings, but I make it a point of not hitting on someone lying about their marital status.

I've found that an occupied left ring finger is a reliable judge of whether they're taken or not. You rarely go wrong if you assume that such a person is unavailable.

steve2727

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'd say just assume any man wearing a ring on that finger is married no matter what he says. Lets face it if he is a single man just wearing one because he thinks it will get him more attention then that's just a bit pathetic isn't it really?

Just to add one thing though, not all married men who don't wear wedding rings do that because they want to play around. My parents have been happily married for 30 years, my dad has never fooled around (as far as I know anyway) but he's never worn a wedding ring a day in his life. He doesn't wear one simply because it would drive him nuts, he said he'd just always be able to feel it and wouldn't be able to stop messing with it, and I totally understand that, I rarely even wear a watch because I can't stop playng with the strap. Don't know, maybe the men in our family are just odd like that...

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
We all need to be drunk in a Honky Tonk right now, weeping at the jukebox:

"Last night all alone in a barroom I met a girl with a drink in her hand
She had ruby red lips coal black hair and eyes that would tempt any man
Then she came and sat down at my table and as she placed her soft hands in mine
I found myself wanting to kiss her for temptation was flowing like wine
And I was almost persuaded to strip myself of my pride
Almost persuaded to push my conscience aside

Then we danced and she whispered I need you
Take me away from here and be my man
Then I looked into her eyes and I saw it the reflection of my wedding band
And I was almost persuaded to let strange lips lead me on
Almost persuaded but your sweet love made me stop and go home"

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
steve2727 said:
I'd say just assume any man wearing a ring on that finger is married no matter what he says. Lets face it if he is a single man just wearing one because he thinks it will get him more attention then that's just a bit pathetic isn't it really?...

Well, that was kind of my take on it, too. I dropped the discussion at that point because I wasn't really interested in his explanation about why a single guy would WANT to attract women by wearing a wedding ring. The pretzel logic involved in that would have been killed my sake buzz. :smile:

25JASON

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I would never take my ring off at a bar, yes it does draw more women(women looking for sex that is). If some girls think that you are married sometime the think it can be a one night of sex with no strings attached. They may also think that you are clean. I am bi and some gay/bi guys get off on hooking up with a married man as well.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have never owned a ring and I would never wear a ring and I have been married over 30 years. They are to dangerous to wear around machinery. My father has a wedding ring and I have never seen him wear it , the folks just celebrated 60 years last October. Dad was a machinist before and after the war (WWll for the younger people on the list).

Rings are also dangerous around electricity, causing shorts and a ring can get hung up on things. One guy, years ago, jumped off a stack of cases of wine while steadying himself with his left hand on a freight car wall. He left his finger on the wall, hanging on a nail head.

sexycobra

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Love-it said:
One guy, years ago, jumped off a stack of cases of wine while steadying himself with his left hand on a freight car wall. He left his finger on the wall, hanging on a nail head.

Makes you think twice about wearing a ring, doesn't it? :eek:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's not so mysterious after all. I guess it's his life insurance if a date becomes threateningly unsexy, ie, if he wants to get from a girl that he didn't want to play with, waving his wedding ring like a flag is what guys usually do then. I'd not put all my money on him being married, but if he wears a ring when he's on the prowl, I think it's definetly for the use like above.

SurferGirlCA said:
I was out with friends last night and a guy and his friend sitting around the corner from us at the sushi bar start talking with us. They seemed pretty cool and the first guy was definitely being flirty. It was fun and he was really cute, so I didn't mind. Any way, as I was returning from the ladies room, he sees me and gestures for me to come sit by him, so I go over there. When I sit down I notice he is wearing a wedding band (something I couldn't see from my angle at the sushi bar previously), so I nod at his finger and ask him if he is married. He smiles quickly and says it's his father's actually, as his father has passed away. When I ask him why he wears it on his wedding finger he said, "ummm, because I get more attention from girls that way?" Now, I know some married guys take off their wedding ring if they are on the prowl, but this was the first I'd heard of a single guy putting one on. This seemed bizarre to me, but I am interested in hearing others thoughts on this. Think he was actually married? Have any of you str8 single guys worn a wedding ring to attract women? Or ladies, have you ever known a guy to do this?