The Mitt Romney thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Calboner, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    We've had threads on Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Michele Bachmann, and Herman Cain, but I have not seen one in recent weeks on the Republican candidate most likely to succeed, Mitt Romney. So here is one.

I thought I would start the discussion off with this little item:

Romney Unveils 3-Tier Marriage System For Gays (Igor Volsky at ThinkProgress)

Isn't that considerate of him?

2. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Romney can fuck off
    /thread.

3. wappingite

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think it's funny that he cited the Constitution as the reason for his anti-gay marriage stance to the gay Vietnam veteran the other day. This 3-tier system reminds me of the original way they counted slaves by fractions in the original Constitution. So now under Romney, there will be "regular people" as first class citizens (straights), free gays as second class citizens (those who are grandfathered in), and third class gay citizens (the rest of us). This is really haunting and part of the reason I'm not keen to move back to the US anytime soon. It's even more disturbing that there isn't more outrage when these ideas are voiced.

Doesn't he understand the Constitution evolves? There are no longer slaves, women now can vote, and many other modernizations based on civilized progress. Besides, his premise about marriage being Constitutionally defined as man-woman has no basis in reality.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." P.E. Trudeau

Romney was suppose to be the sane Republican candidate. I've come to the conclusion that he has no shame.

5. houtx48

Gold Member

There is nothing will not say, do or try to be President. Would not worry much about his religion because obviously he does not sit much store in it.

6. monel

Gold Member

The widespread criticism of Mitt Romney, that he is unprincipled, is not true. Mitt Romney is guided by the over arching principle that he should be president. To that aim he will say anything and be anybody at any given moment. Personally I think he has a bit of a "Daddy" complex and wants to accomplish what his father failed to do.

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you, Calboner, for originating a thread long overdue around here; your action confirms my laziness in that regard, as I've contemplated doing so for weeks without ever having bothered.

His presumptive status as GOP front-runner has been consistently and (very) disrespectfully undermined by the party roots, which seems made up of equal parts Teabaggery and Fundamentalist Christianism. The Teabaggers hold him in contempt for the finger-in-the-wind method by which he divines which message (and verbiage) best sells himself to the broader masses; is there a single issue on which he's remained steady over the last ~20 years? In this day and age of YouTube and viral vids, his various "evolutions" can be (and are) exposed to his immense discredit. Does he actually believe/stand for anything at all aside from his political ambitions?

On the matter of purely physical- and personality-driven charisma, he has few if any competitors in being supremely out of touch and completely insulated/isolated by his immense wealth from ordinary folk. Ordinarily this is a Democratic flaw (Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry...right back to Adali Stevenson himself), but to have it be glaring, especially during such hard times, is perhaps his single greatest weakness should be eventually win the nomination. The fact that he's the Washington insider, inside-the-beltway drug of choice further isolates him from the Teabaggers and their Bible Belt brethren, too: the same people who went for Cain, for instance, find him absolutely deplorable. But that $10,000 bet...wow, just wow!

I find it especially amusing that, whenever whichever candidate becomes the insurgent against him (and his cotery of Washington Insiders), s/he's immediately labeled the Anti-Romney especially droll (and telling). His front-runner status is based on both name recognition and his massive (largely self-funded) bankroll; it's certainly not because he conveys an especially compelling nor credible message to primary voters and caucus attendees. I find it gives me a special frisson of schadenfreude to see such supremely unelectable alternates as Bachmann, Perry and Cain outpoll him; Gingrich is merely the cherry on top of the icing of that especially inedible cake. When someone with such a caliber of sheer loathsomeness and national disgrace tops him in double-digits, it sets my little heart all aflutter.

And then there's, of course, his Mormonism. Personally I don't care a whit about a candidate's religious persuasion, and I truly believe that Mitten's no more bound to the Elders in SLC than Kennedy (any Catholic: take your pick) was/is to the Pope. But his polling in that regard amongst Evangelical Christianists (the majority of whom do not even recognize the Church of Latter-Day Saints as even Christian) makes a mockery of the separation of church and state; even more to the point, it highlights their blatant, obvious and especially ugly bigotry and lack to the freedom of/from religious expression. As this is pointedly at odds with the very first amendment of the Constitution (a document secondarily of importance only to the Bible in their political dogma) it only underscores what complete and utter frauds they are.

The only sympathy I have for him in any regard is how sincerely he's detested by the political base he needs to get himself on the ballot nationally. This entire campaign is a televised nervous breakdown of one of our two national parties. As I strenuously believe that we need both parties to operate as a functional democracy, the continued rejection of Romney in favor of the lunatic-of-the-month worries me deeply.

And please don't anyone take that as a sign of any endorsement of Mitt Romney on any level: but when such a weak and obviously unsuitable (yet obvious) front-running candidate cannot secure an easy nomination when we're embroiled in such a terrible economy and horrifying foreign environment, each so fraught with danger, then I can't help but think that we're fundamentally and irrecoverably trapped in a downward spiral.

8. joeweekend

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    He is such a fucking hot Daddy.

9. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bbucko, How is Romney a "Washington insider"? Not to give any credit to the fatuous belief that never having served in the federal government is a some sort of virtue in presidential candidates, but I was not aware that Romney had ever done so.

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

Herr Cal von der Boners:

Don't know much about Mittens as a "Washinton Insider." There's no doubt his father was somewhat of a player inside the Beltway during his tenure as head of American Motors and while governor a booster/lobbyist for all things Michigan. But Mittens? Can't say. However, I presume his half-assed idea about marriage being a three-status issue probably comes from his indoctrination of mormon theology wherein the "special people" who subscribe to that belief system believe there are three degrees of heaven. There's the telestial, which is kind of like the existence were experiencing now, except it surpasses all mortal known meaning. In otherwords, the trailer trash version of "glory" where in that afterlife members work as servants for the other two levels of heaven/glory.

Then there's the terrestial level of heaven where the good, but not as good as the goodest end up. This after life is where the members of the trailer court paid all their bills and taxes on time, were never late with a utility payment, usually attended church, and more or less accepted the whole idea of the LDS belief system, but maybe had the occasional reservation that it was all a mutiple level marketing scam.

Then there's the celestial kingdom. Here, anything goes. You get to hang and play baci ball with the heavenly father, Jesus, and the holy spirit/ghost. And you get to be god of your own planet and other neat stuff. You maybe even get to glow in the dark. No one knows for sure.

So many other states of being within the mormon belief system, (as in life in general), are conveniently staged in threes that I have no doubt Mittens sees not only his personal life but his ascendency to the office of POTUS the same way. If he doesn't make it in 2012 there's always 1216. Third time seems to be the charm -- quite literally -- with the mormons.

Note: Anyone who buys into this belief system and wants to know more, send me a PM. I've got some left over golden plates for sale. :smile:

#10 midlifebear, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  11. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Holy crap, Mr. Bear! If, satirical inflections aside, there really is such a three-tier view of heaven in Mormonism, then this parallelism is something that should be brought to the attention of political commentators. I'm sure there are those among them who would find it very interesting--Andrew Sullivan, say.

By the way, the Dutch form of my name is "van der Boners," not "von der Boners."

12. midlifebear

Gold Member

I heartily agree. Satirical inflections aside, what I posted is true. In fact, it's even weirder than I posted. If you have the time, I'm sure a Wikipedia search will flesh out many more idiosyncrasies about the mormon belief system that will shock, amuse, but mostly amaze. After all, one man's religion is usually another man's science fiction.

Sorry, I was trying to fake German, a language I abhor but feel has humorous uses.

13. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was wearing magic underwear when I read this...Coincidence?:biggrin1:

14. dude_007

Gold Member

I think sane Republican is an oxymoron these days...

15. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I begin to wonder if Romney simply lacks the ability to remember his past positions. Usually, he changes them because the political winds have changed direction. In this instance, it looks to me as though he just forgot that he previously took up a contrary position.
    See also:To be exact, what Romney says now is that there would have been no invasion of Iraq if we had known in 2003 that Saddam had none of the weaponry or weapons programs that were then attributed to him; he doesn't actually say that it would have been wrong to do so. But, in the first place, given that members of the Bush administration were pushing for an invasion of Iraq from way back and that the administration treated intelligence-gathering as a means to the predetermined end of producing a case for war, that is a dubious counter-factual historical claim. Second, the statement plainly implies that going to war in the absence of that justification would have been absurd. And Romney's statement that invading Iraq was "the right decision" could be taken to mean only that the decision was justified by the intelligence available at the time, not that it is justified in view of all facts now known. But that would be a very evasive and casuistical way of parsing it.

16. cruztbone

Gold Member

Romney is the ultimate DC insider. He has been a whore to every GOP interest group in the nations capital. He has been running for president since he left the Mass. governor's chair in 1994. Newt was correct in saying that if Mitt hadnt lost to TED KENNEDY that year, he would have been in the senate from Mass. ever since.
    Romney is the poster boy for rich, white boy entitlement programs. if you arent aware of this, then you are probably under 30 , not well read and dont know any US history prior to last year.

17. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    In the view of Rick Perlstein, the whole GOP nominating process is an elaborate song-and-dance whose eventual result was already determined almost four years ago:

Forget Iowa: GOP Always Nominates 'Next in Line' | Crooks and Liars

18. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
  19. upone

upone New Member

I notice an absence of the usual Republican voices *cough*Jingoist*cough* in this thread because they know that once "their" candidates have been eliminated, they will bow their heads and vote for Romney because their corporate masters tell them to.

But even I was surprised by his support for the constitutional amendment because of the one-man/one-women provision. Romney is the only candidate of either party who had six grandmothers, since both grandfathers lived in a polygamous community just south of the border with Mexico. Having grown up in a very wealthy family, although "different", he now wants to retroactively prohibit his grandparents from marrying.

20. e1ectricfee1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This sort of silliness is ages old. The Athenian Pericles made it so you're not an Athenian citizen if your parents aren't both Athenian citizens...when he'd already had his kid by a Milesian lady! Screwed his own son on that one. The things people do for politics... :confused:

Edit: Seems Pericles made a special exception for his son...naturally. :p

#20 e1ectricfee1, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
Draft saved Draft deleted