The Mitt Romney thread

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
One of the most interesting things is not to study the current Romney, but to study the Romney family. When you want to learn about a person and really learn about them you study not only the individual but the family, the family business interests and the ways in which the individual grew up and the surroundings or environment.

What is sad is when a person originating from the world of the "idle rich" is in fact the most sane and likely conservative candidate for the Presidency. What is sadder than that is that of the entire bunch, he is the only one capable of pulling off a win at all. If he is paired with anything other than a moderate the Republicans will guarantee the win of Barak Obama.

It is true that we would for the first time have a President who looked and sounded like a 1970's TV game show host.

I am bothered by the fact that no matter who runs and is placed into office we are going to have horrendous problems from the number of extremists already in office. Romney would be no more effective than Barak Obama and there is a very good chance that he would be "road blocked" just as much as any Democrat.

Romney has one thing going for him and that he is based on his entire background a world champion negotiator and "deal maker" and that is his only real saving grace. At least with him he will listen to a viewpoint other than his own unlike some of the others running for the same office.

The one thing guaranteed is that after the nomination comes in it is going to be one interesting race.

thomas biggy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
"I saw my father march with Martin Luther King."(Romney's campaign later admitted that they didn't march on the same day, or in the same city)

"We should double Guantanamo!"

"Corporations are people, my friend... "

Yeah hes loony

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Romney will be marking this MLK Day by making a public appearance with a man who for years has worked for organizations dedicated to maintaining a white majority in the US: Kris Kobach, the designer of Arizona’s and Alabama’s new immigration laws. "Before he became Kansas’ secretary of state, Kobach worked for Immigration Reform Law Institute, the legal branch of Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which the Southern Poverty Law Center has labeled as a ‘nativist hate group.’ One of FAIR’s main goals is to overturn the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, which ‘ended a decades-long, racist quota system that limited immigration mostly to northern Europeans.’ FAIR’s founder John Tanton has said that he wants the U.S. to remain a majority-white nation through limiting the number of non-whites who enter the U.S." (Source: "On the Day We Remember a Leader of Peace, Romney Campaigns With White Supremacist," at Addicting Info, January 16, 2012.)

See also "Kris Kobach" in "The Nativists: Profiles of 20 Anti-Immigrant Leaders," at Southern Poverty Law Center, spring 2008: "Kobach, who in 2007 became chairman of the Kansas Republican Party, is far-right Christian fundamentalist. During his 2004 campaign, he accused his opponent of associating with groups supporting "homosexual pedophilia." He was referring to the Human Rights Campaign, a mainstream gay rights organization that has never come remotely close to endorsing pedophilia."

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The man will pander to anyone for an endorsement. I am beginning to doubt he has an ethical bone in his body.

Ryan10

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
He isn't a great politician at all.

I think the Republican's have given up all hope of winning the next election, we all know that Obama's going to win it by a landslide.

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Romney isn't relatable. He has spent a fortune running for President for, like, 5 or 6 years now. And even his own party is ambivalent.

It's actually pretty embarrassing.

Panda2007

1st Like
Media
Get ready for President Romney. Barring a Jerry Sandusky type scandal he'll be the Republican nominee and the independents in the swing states that went for Obama in 08' will go against him this year. Don't shoot the messenger.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Get ready for President Romney. Barring a Jerry Sandusky type scandal he'll be the Republican nominee and the independents in the swing states that went for Obama in 08' will go against him this year. Don't shoot the messenger.
Your confidence is misplaced. As a term for a voting bloc, "independent voter" is, in the vast majority of cases, a euphemism for "disaffected, apathetic, poorly informed occasional voter." I agree with you that many or most of the independents who voted for Obama in '08 will decline to vote for him this year. But it is a mistake to presume that they will turn out to vote for Romney. It is far more likely that they will simply stay home and not vote at all. The prevalence of disenchantment with President Obama is largely just disenchantment with the federal government, and will not translate into votes for the opposing candidate when that candidate is as little liked and trusted as Romney.

D

deleted15807

So Mitt reveals his income tax rate though not his tax returns. He wants to kick that ball way down the field until he has cemented his nomination and immune from rivals attacks.
FLORENCE, S.C. – Under new pressure to release his personal income tax returns, Mitt Romney on Tuesday acknowledged that he pays an effective tax rate of about 15 percent because so much of his fortune comes from investments he made in the past.

Romney Says His Effective Tax Rate Is ‘Probably’ 15%

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, boo hoo hoo! The federal tax burden on the richest Americans is so heavy, it is going to destroy the country if we don't alleviate it!

BAIER: I’d like to ask a question about keeping money for all of the candidates down the line. What is the highest federal income tax any American should have to pay? We are looking for a number. [...]
ROMNEY: I would like 25 percent, but right now it’s at 35, so people better pay what is legally required. But ultimately let’s get it down to as low as we possibly can, if it’s 20, if it’s 25, but paying more than 25 percent, I think, is taking too much out of our pockets.
BAIER: So the highest you had was 35?
ROMNEY: Well, that’s what the law is right now, but 25 is where I would like to see us go.
Romney Claims He's 'Not Worried About The Rich,' But Wants To Cut Their Taxes By One-Third | ThinkProgress

D_PooNaHoe

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Romney wont win and Republicans know this. In fact, it's better for their party that he doesn't win. If the country is still going down the shitter after two democratic terms the Republicans will be able to get damn near anyone in the white house...which is their best bet considering they have no solid candidate willing to step up. Losing is really their only chance for a future win at this point.

D

deleted15807

Oh, boo hoo hoo! The federal tax burden on the richest Americans is so heavy, it is going to destroy the country if we don't alleviate it!

Romney Claims He's 'Not Worried About The Rich,' But Wants To Cut Their Taxes By One-Third | ThinkProgress

This is the Republican platform since Ronald Reagan, Americans have just been too stupid to realize it.

The bottom line: if you’re very wealthy, Romney intends to stuff more money in your pockets. If you’re already struggling, Romney intends to increase your tax burden.

Romney’s tax plan: Robin Hood in reverse

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NBC Nightly News video clip.
(I can't link to it cuz it shows a kid in it.)

Romney:"My income comes overwhelming from investments made in the past rather than ordinary income or rather than earned annual income and then I get speaker's fees from time to time, but not very much."

Financial disclosure forms show he made $375,000 in speaking fees in 2010.

So $375,000 is "not very much"? :rolleyes: Might not be a lot if your net worth is in the multi-millions but for the average American $375k in one year would be extraordinary.

So most of his income is taxed at a lower rate than ordinary earned income and he's ok with that? Must be nice to be rich, as Leona Helmsly is quoted as saying, "Only the little people pay taxes."