The Mole

D

deleted136887

I just thought I'd start a thread where everyone can place their guess for whole the mole is. Therefore we don't all say I got it right at the end. My guess: Paul

for whole the mole?
Does that mean you get 1/2 the mole as well?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What Mole? Sorry but what is this thread about?
Le Mole.

Simply put, the mole represents a number. Just as the term dozen refers to the number twelve, the mole represents the number 6.02 x 10 t the 23rd power.
History of the Mole
The number of objects in one mole, that is, 6.02 x 10(23), is commonly referred to as Avogadro's number. Amadeo Avogadro was an Italian physics professor who proposed in 1811 that equal volumes of different gases at the same temperature contain equal numbers of molecules. About fifty years later, an Italian scientist named Stanislao Cannizzaro used Avogadro's hypothesis to develop a set of atomic weights for the known elements by comparing the masses of equal volumes of gas. Building on this work, an Austrian high school teacher named Josef Loschmidt calculated the size of a molecule of air in 1865, and thus developed an estimate for the number of molecules in a given volume of air. While these early estimates have since been refined, they led to the concept of the mole - that is, the theory that in a defined mass of an element (its atomic weight) there is a precise number of atoms: Avogadro's number.
Molar Mass
A sample of any element with a mass equal to that element's atomic weight (in grams) will contain precisely one mole of atoms (6.02 x 10(23) atoms). For example, helium has an atomic weight of 4.00. Therefore, 4.00 grams of helium will contain one mole of helium atoms. You can also work with fractions (or multiples) of moles:

Last edited: