The Moon Grows Full...

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Incocknito, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Incocknito

Gold Member

So recently I did some calculations and subtracting 38 weeks from the due date (yet to be due) came out with the exact day/night/24 hour period I was "all up in that".

Which is quite a coincidence. Would this be enough 'proof' of baby daddyship for any of you not to partake of a DNA test? I mean I know it's possible that someone else's sperm got there first but I think it would be unusual for that to happen at the exact time I was there also.

Also I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the efficacy of these Heartbeat Melodies/Lullabies? Apparently they are used in hospitals and 'most' people seem to have good results with them but I don't know if that is a placebo effect or not 100% down to the music itself.

The blurb:

An actual human heartbeat is the rhythm (drums) of special arrangements of traditional lullabies and nursery songs. The songs on this CD actually stop babies from crying, soothe symptoms of colic, and help parents get their children to sleep through the night - without having to let them cry! Each CD includes a Parents Guide - An Introduction to Heartbeat Musical Therapy booklet with common-sense suggestions for bedtime routines that work. Satisfaction is guaranteed or the manufacturer will refund the full purchase price direct to the consumer. These recordings are used medically in over 8,000 hospitals and special care centers to calm listeners, induce sleep and assist in healing. They are also used in over 1 million homes to help establish regular healthy sleep schedules for children and to help families get the rest they need. They are effective for listeners of all ages - from prenatal to elderly - but are recommended for prenatal to 6 years. They can be started at any age. They can even be used during the last trimester of pregnancy to help both mom and baby get a good nights sleep.

http://www.amazon.com/Stops-Crying-...iginal/dp/B00000IQ0M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I would be interested to know why/how they work.

2. Patchos

Gold Member

I"m not a huge fan of sleeping aids for children. What happens if you're somewhere where you can't play the CD and the kid doesn't fall asleep without it?

White noise is usually enough for most babies to fall asleep to. Get them used to the dishwasher/radio/dogs barking/human conversation/etc so you don't have to tip-toe around the house.

In regards to colic and other sleep disturbances, there are ways to make sleep more comfortable.

By the way, this is not the best site to talk about bringing up babies. Google parenting forum and you'll find a more suitable place.

Read "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn" and any other popular guidebook you can get your hands on. Parenting is the most challenging thing you will do in your life.

#2 Patchos, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. Incocknito

Gold Member

I thought the concentration of adults here would generate more responses...and it probably will be challenging but I am looking forward to it now and am quite calm and contented.

So are you saying sleeping aids / heartbeat lullabies don't work or just that you don't think they are useful because of limited usefulness?

4. Patchos

Gold Member

You don't come to a penis site to talk about raising kids. That's just stupid. Go to a parenting forum.

You should rely on as few sleeping aids as possible. That includes music & dummies (pacifiers). Why? Because it'll be difficult to ween them off it when they get older. Generally, babies do not need all these things to sleep. They are there to help if sleep doesn't come easily. Use the KISS principle.

5. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Listen to Patchos. But I am flattered you thought of us first!

I too, think 'hooking' a baby on a particular product might be counter-productive. When children grow to toddler stage their emotional development begins and you will be at the mercy of their storms of misery, and driving fifty miles round trip to retrieve a forgotten comfort item. mark my words.

However, you will also not wish it to be any other way, as it will demonstrate potently how linked one's heartstrings can be with a beloved other.

6. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Well, parenting websites are a terrible place to ask questions to men because they don't usually join parenting websites. I'm a member of several parenting websites and a forum for babies my son's age, and out of about twelve thousand members of the forum just for babies my son's age, I've never seen a single man post there.

Regarding sleep aids, though, I would recommend a parenting website. I'll send you a PM. They're all different and some of them have fewer crazies than others.

The best sleep aid I've found is swaddling. You can find Youtube videos by searching "how to swaddle" and there are different methods and products that make it easier to do. Swaddling saved my sanity. Babies have a kind of jerking reflex that wakes themselves up. We would finally soothe him to sleep and 15 minutes later he would be awake and crying again. Swaddling comforts them and prevents that reflex from waking themselves up so that they get a full night's sleep. It's good for both you and the baby.

#6 petite, Dec 26, 2011
  7. Patchos

Gold Member

Fully agree with swaddling. Restriction of movement is very conducive towards sleep. Babies loves the sense of security they get from being snug and tight. Swaddling prevents babies from scratching their face, and also stops them from kicking up the blankets over their face, which can cause suffocation.

In the past, you used to have to fold a square cloth in a certain way to create a swaddle but now you can buy them pre-made with wings/lengths that you wrap around them so you don't have to remember which corner to fold in which direction, etc.

8. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I recommend the Swaddlebuddy, especially if your baby is very strong. My little guy could bust out of a traditional swaddle like the Hullk, then I tried safety pins but once he figured out how to squeeze the pins from underneath the swaddle so that they opened, I turned to the products that use Velcro patches to help keep them shut. He could puff up his chest and use his arms to Hulk out of the Kiddopatamous Swaddle, too, even though it uses Velcro. The Swaddlebuddy prevented him from being able to do that because it uses a different method that is more effective for mini-Hulks.

There was another one that is made out of a stretchy material with a zipper down the front, but he would get a hand out of the neck hole and use the stretchy material to his advantage like a little Houdini.

The traditional swaddle works for most babies, though, especially when they're first born. I just have a stubborn little guy. The nurses at the hospital will teach you their favorite methods.

#8 petite, Dec 26, 2011
  9. DavidXL

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I will second and third what Petite and Patchos said about swaddling.

10. dolfette

Gold Member

my eldest hated swaddling from the off. hated it big time. some babies just do. every baby is different, so whatever advice you get it'll still be trial and error.

11. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    By the way, I believe most babies like music. Something you need to keep in mind is that whatever you play for them, you need to be prepared to hear it one thousand times. I found that my baby really likes classic rock. He enjoys the Beatles, Elton John, Queen, and the Beatles. Oh he loves the Beatles! You might not need to buy any special music for him. Consider it a part of his cultural education. :wink:

Playing music for my baby often stopped him from crying, especially if I sang along to it. He didn't care if I sang off key, he just loved watching me sing to him. I would suggest trying the music you love to listen to and sing to him before you try any special baby CDs.

#11 petite, Dec 26, 2011
  12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Every baby is different. I have a friend whose baby slept through the night from 8 weeks on. I envied how easy her baby was, but we keep returning to the struggle over and over again.

My baby has always hated it, too, but it worked once he fell asleep. It's the only thing that ever kept him asleep all night long. I actually gave it up for months because of how much he fought it, but tried it again once I was about to lose my mind from exhaustion and it was so effective that it made me wish I had never given it up in the first place.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier, there's an article that came out on PsychologyToday.com a few weeks ago about how bad the "cry it out" method is for babies. You can read it online, but I don't think I can link it.

13. dolfette

Gold Member

my youngest i had in bed with me. i know there's a lot said against it but i found i did a sort of alert sleep, where i moved very little and stayed aware of him the whole time. made feeding on demand a lot easier. it wasn't hard to ease him into his own cot once he was sleeping through and he's a lot more confident and independent as a person than his sister. going with my instincts paid off that time.

14. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    We did that, too, and he still sleeps with me sometimes, especially the past few weeks because the whole family has been sick and he wakes up in the middle of the night whimpering pitifully and needs soothing. Tiny baby coughs are the saddest thing ever.

I really like sleeping next to him and getting extra cuddle time. It does make breastfeeding on demand a lot easier.

15. achillesx

achillesx Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Well I guess I'll be leaving LPSG now that I know where all the chicks are at. hahaha

16. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's where the fertile and 'taken' chicks are, for certain.

17. Incocknito

Gold Member

I thought I replied to this thread? Anyway nice advice peeps. I may hold off these heartbeat lullabies but if the baby has trouble sleeping it couldn't hurt to use them?

And most of the people on parenting websites are single mothers or mothers and would probably go into early labour if an actual male posted on their site :p

18. achillesx

achillesx Well-Known Member

Albums:
    lol it's called irony, or humor...

Draft saved Draft deleted