The Most Important Thing In Life (to You)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Bob Ross, Aug 18, 2010.

?

Whats the most important aspect of your life?

1. Money

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Love

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Achievement

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Family & Friends

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. God/Faith

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Health

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Knowledge

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Other

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not sure if this has been done on here. I looked and came up empty. I have seen this in other articles (although normally in a "ranking" format) and thought it would be interesting for this forum...

Instructions:

Identify the MOST important aspect of your life.

Now I know that some common (and intelligent) responses would be that; "more than one of the choices is vitally important" or that "two of the choices are equally important in different ways", but let's not get too philosophical...Just do some soul-searching, think about what you focus most of your time, energy, and thought on at this point in your life and make a choice. Please explain "Other" choices. Usernames have been hidden to protect the guilty.

Since there is limited room on the poll, here is an explanation of the choices;

Money: ...and the financial freedom, material comforts, self-reliance and jealousy/admiration of others that it brings with it (please note that actual "respect" based upon achievement has been given its own category. Should you (understandably) partially equate money with success try to figure out what is more important; the actual achievements you have made and the pride you feel or the amount of money they've brought and what it has enabled you to do).

Love: ...including; your marriage, partnership, or the need for romantic attachment/relationships (please distinguish from "Family & Friends" below). John Lennon would pick this one, 'cause it was all he needed...

Achievement: ...namely in your proffessional life. This is the concept that the measure of someone's worth is what they have done in life to make an impact on the world around them. Also included in here is the need for respect from others for legitimate achievements (i.e. building your own company from $50 to your name v. inheriting $50 million of daddy's left-overs). Academic, scholarly, inovative, entrepenuerial, athletic and other types of achievements should be grouped here too.

Family & Friends: ...including care for their well-being, their, success, their happiness, and their opinions and acceptance of you. Also included here is children (if applicable) as they are part of the family you have made for yourself.

God: ...you know who God is, right? This also includes faith & religion and your church. Please distinguish between "Family & Friends" above and choose this option if the word of God and living for God is the MOST important thing to you. I know family is part of that but here's a good way to reconcile the apparent paradox: pretend you are Abraham and God says "kill your son"; then you are forced to pick.

Health: ...including personal safety, lack of pain and sufferring, personal fitness. Do not confuse with athletic "Achievement"; this is being healthy for the sake of being healthy; not for winning contests or breaking records.

Knowledge: ...this is knowledge for the sake of knowledge; not to exploit the stock market or to win the noble prize. Rather, just to know as much as can be known.

Other: ...please explain if this is your selection...

I hope some people enjoy this and/or get some enlightenment, about others and themselves, out of it

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Well I am at the point in my life where money, achievements, family, friends and love and thankfully health are all well and good. However I don't take any of them for granted because life as I know it and all of these issues have turned on a dime several times. But if I had to pick only one it would be health. I have heard since I was quite young "If you have your health you have the capacity to achieve everything in life; without it you will likely not."

3. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Certainly alot of truth in that

4. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm just going to say I'm sticking with John it's all I need, I can handle everything else.

5. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well it is a many splendored thing...

6. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Other: what the voices in my head tell me to do. :tongue:

Seriously, I would have said faith if my faith were not in the earth itself, and not getting in its way.

7. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    LOL. Yeah my bad. I should have made the God section more open to all/different forms of spirituality, belief, and faith which is really how I meant it, not solely for the "Judeo-Christian God"

8. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I ticked other because STABILITY is the most important thing in my life.

I feel very uncomfortable when i'm away from home or when my job security is at risk like it is at the moment or if i'm struggling with my finances. Worst is when a relationship ends. Heartbreak can be so devastating.

After that, i'd say Love, i just want someone to love and return that, i'd be content living in a cardboard box if i had a love with me.

9. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^ Yeah, my job isn't terribly secure either right now...Hope everything works out for you

10. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Other: Happiness.

11. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Lol, yeah, this i guess is the short of it.

12. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

other: Contentment

13. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Friends and family. I'd be (almost) nothing without them.

14. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I guess in a way what I'm really trying to ask is which of these aspects of your life bring you the most happiness

15. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    In that case, (near) constant activity.

If I stay idle, I go nuts.

16. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hmmm. I suppose maybe I should have put "Peace of Mind" on here although I guess if I had to I would shoehorn that in with "Health"

17. DAVISDAVE

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Other: FREEDOM/ LIBERTY !

#17 DAVISDAVE, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  18. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sorry Bob, but the indecisive Gemini in me simply cannot whittle it down to one. I can eliminate a few though:
    Money - Important
    Love - Important
    Achievement - Important
    Family & Friends - Very dysfunctional, overrated, and disappointing in my life. Does not apply.
    God/Faith - I'm agnostic. Does not apply
    Health - Important
    Knowledge - Important

A few other good ones have also been suggested, such as Happiness, Contentment, Stability, etc.

It's often said that the grass is always greener on the other side. The things most of us value the greatest are the things we don't have (and, subsequently, the things we have are the things most of us take for granted). A sad-but-true reality of human nature.

That said - I'm very fortunate to have my health and a fair amount of knowledge (thanks to education, the passing of time, and a lot of hard knocks). Having already eliminated Family & Friends and God/Faith, that leaves Money, Love, & Achievement as my sad-but-true / grass is always greener on the other side most valued trinity.

Probably ultimately the top of my list too - and very beautifully worded here, BTW.

19. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    I voted knowledge.
    Extremely close tie with other: Freedom.

20. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    @Mick...Nothing to be sorry about at all...And thanks for the thoughtful and logical explanation of your choice

@Enid...You must be one of those smarty smarts, huh!? (not that we didn't already know that)

Draft saved Draft deleted