the most serious threat to human health- scary sh*t

bigdude

Experimental Member
Media
the feminization of nature

this article discusses the immense risks associated with xenoestrogens as well as various methods to protect yourself. Not sure what xenoestrogens are? This article will break it down for ya.

Just another example of how modern agriculture/industry/medicine and the pollution of the environment effects us

Xenoestrogens in the Home

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bigdude, are you affiliated with the company selling the air purifier that will remove the xenoestrogens from the air? :confused: I read most of that site and though not a biologist or geneticist I have to say it sounds like major bullshit.

bigdude

Experimental Member
Media
That was the least convincing sales pitch I've ever read

LOL and what do you think they're trying to sell?

ur response to my post is the loudest response of denial i've ever read...you sound like the critics who oppose the "theory" of global warming

do you have any kind of scientific background, as do i?

or do you just fail to make connections...?

do urself a favor- google "xenoestrogens", and maybe you'll find some of the following pieces of information...

-sperm counts in men have dropped over 50% since the industrial revolution
-breast cancer has risen dramatically over the past few decades (1 in 2 women will develop breast cancer)
(testicular cancer has steadily increased as well)
-1,000 new chemicals are manufacturered every year, that aren't even required to be tested as endocrine disruptors (cosmetics, home fragrances, pesticides, herbicides, plastics, the list goes on...)

maybe im a paranoid, tree-lovin hippie but christ, do ur fuckin research before you turn blind eyes to such serious subject matters

bigdude

Experimental Member
Media
Bigdude, are you affiliated with the company selling the air purifier that will remove the xenoestrogens from the air? :confused: I read most of that site and though not a biologist or geneticist I have to say it sounds like major bullshit.

no mam

i'm nothing more than a biology student, home for the summer, working at a grocery store

bigdude

Experimental Member
Media
BTW, i failed to recognize that this link provided the site that sells the air purifiers. I've read a lot of articles/discussed in many classes about this subject. I posted this particular article because I thought it provided solid information in an easy-to-understand format for those who aren't biology majors. my bad on that

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That was the least convincing sales pitch I've ever read

Uhh, less violence and politicians who actually care about the people??

Bigdude, jokes aside, what you've suggested seems plausible and if it's real, there are serious consequenes to consider, but in an age where EVERYTHING is man-made, I can't imagine people turning in their G-phones and automobiles cuz they're "turning feminine."

Like ALL disasters, this won't be addressed until a majority of the male population starts preferring talking over sex and wearing high-heeled shoes. If this is true, we won't care or do anything until it's too late, as usual.

Last edited:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL and what do you think they're trying to sell?

ur response to my post is the loudest response of denial i've ever read...you sound like the critics who oppose the "theory" of global warming

or do you just fail to make connections...?

do urself a favor- google "xenoestrogens", and maybe you'll find some of the following pieces of information...

-sperm counts in men have dropped over 50% since the industrial revolution
-breast cancer has risen dramatically over the past few decades (1 in 2 women will develop breast cancer)
(testicular cancer has steadily increased as well)
-1,000 new chemicals are manufacturered every year, that aren't even required to be tested as endocrine disruptors (cosmetics, home fragrances, pesticides, herbicides, plastics, the list goes on...)

maybe im a paranoid, tree-lovin hippie but christ, do ur fuckin research before you turn blind eyes to such serious subject matters

You call that research? Just because you found some website about air purifiers that makes unsupported claims about the increase in health problems doesn't mean you've done research. Seriously, where is this guy getting all of these numbers and assumptions from? He hardly referenced any sources, and he doesn't seem very credible.

bigdude

Experimental Member
Media
marley- i understand that, and when it comes to biology and something i happen to be very passionate about, it's very upsetting to me- to think that the almighty dollar will always come first. In this case, before the integrity of the public and human health. On one hand, it's uplifting to realize that some changes are being made to conserve energy. For example, organic food options in supermarkets are becoming more widely available. I just saw a commercial for a car the other day that "emits no pollution, only water vapor." And on my uncle's website (an environmental activist), I read another several other uplifting pieces of information.

Although I do thank you for your opinion, I also believe that an attitude like yours spells disaster. There are many things you can do to help conserve the planet, protect yourself from xenoestrogens and live a healthier lifestyle. This isn't just about "xenoestrogens", it's about our environment and lifestyle. For instance, I purchase all natural products- from soaps and toothpastes made from plant-based derivatives to organic whole foods. Sure, it costs time and money, but to me health and the environment is where top priority lies. I see it as a personal responbility to myself and the world to protect and conserve for the sustainability of life. Besides, living in the wealthiest as well as the sickest country in the world, what do we really have without good health? Says a lot about the mentality of our country huh

lucky- seeing as how close-minded you seem to be, I could give a shit about one opinion. It's obvious you possess no knowledge about biology and health, the environment or endocrinology. I've read far too many articles on this and have come to memorize a barage of facts published in scientific journals. The evidence to me is clear because I've research extensively on this topic, so I honestly don't give a shit if you don't think I have credentials. You'll learn

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lucky- seeing as how close-minded you seem to be, I could give a shit about one opinion. It's obvious you possess no knowledge about biology and health, the environment or endocrinology. I've read far too many articles on this and have come to memorize a barage of facts published in scientific journals. The evidence to me is clear because I've research extensively on this topic, so I honestly don't give a shit if you don't think I have credentials. You'll learn

Excuse me? You've made these assumptions about me off of one fucking sentence. That bullshit website you posted seems like a sales pitch to me, especially since it links you to a site where they sell air purifiers, and I called you out on it. Where have I said I don't care about the environment? Did I say I think we should all walk around and spray hair spray on trees all day? No. You have assumed what kind of person I am because I simply pointed out that your website is trying to sell air purifiers. You realized it, got mad, and are now trying to make up for it; I understand. If you've done such extensive research though, and read so many journals, how about giving us a legitimate source? And don't say they weren't on the internet because we all know how much universities love to use internet sites such as J-STOR when it comes to students reading published journals...been there, done that. You think you know a lot, but you really don't know shit. We're in college, we really don't know shit about our majors yet.

I also never said you have no credentials, you've made that assumption on your own. I said whoever made that website doesn't seem to offer much information about himself and how much he knows about this subject. Maybe you should check youself before tossing in the "close-minded" argument, because you made these judgments about me off of one sentence, a sentence that said absolutely nothing about my beliefs except that I believe that website was created to sell a certain brand of air purifiers.

Oh...and by the way, with out all that money going around that you hate so much, your precious biology major, research, and future career would not exist.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My partner and I both have more than a passing knowledge of chemistry...:rolleyes:
but that article you linked contained a confusing (for me,) and misleading (for non-chemists) mix of fact, fiction, marketing, and downright bullshit. The one xeno he mentions is bisphenol A, and he misspelled it. He made assertions, without references or citations, about transdermal and respiratory absorption of xenos (you should know that scientific claims without references and citations are a HUGE no-no!), comments about chlorides in household bleach (that's actually chlorites and hypochlorites), and claims about the presence and volatility of xenos in dishwasher detergent.

Some time back, I actually did post about xenoestrogens in the environment and in our homes, so the concept really is there; his alarmist and non-factual presentation to sell his air purifier isn't really ethical, and I don't have much use for unethical "scientists."

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

ur response to my post is the loudest response of denial i've ever read...you sound like the critics who oppose the "theory" of global warming ......

I have never seen where anybody claimed global warming was a “theory” … I have seen where crackpots like Al Gore use pseudo science to claim they have alleged proof it’s manmade where others with an IQ at least in the triple digits will tell you they simply don’t know if its just another natural cycle or not.

Regarding your original topic = We are a society the used/uses MTBE in gasoline, asbestos everywhere formerly, and sprayed DDT by the ton like it was common mosquito repellent so it will not surprise me if this turns out to be another disaster in the making.

You might find this article interesting ....

Organica News -- The Environment: Waters that Kill

" ..... To add to the controversy, Lake Apopka received worldwide attention in 1992 when breeders who raise alligators for their hides were unable to obtain viable alligator eggs from the lake. Many of the eggs collected would not hatch, and breeders noticed a significant drop in alligator populations that had once thrived there.

Biologists called in to study the situation uncovered an unexpected problem: many of the male alligators had increased levels of estrogen. As a result, a number of full-grown alligators had undeveloped, infantile penises, while others were not properly gender-defined. Scientists were stumped. When the reports became public, there was a virtual stampede as scientists and the media flew in from as far away as China to view Lake Apopka and cover the curious story..... "

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
THE FRESHWATER COMPANY - IS THERE OESTROGEN IN OUR WATER

There is more oestrogen in the environment and it won't be doing us any good...

But I don't think any product will protect you or that you need protecting against what are - as I understand it - negligible amounts of oestrogen. When men start growing breasts: then we've got a problem.

Or have we...

mmm breasts :tongue:

bigdude

Experimental Member
Media
i didnt mean to sound so defensive or start any kind of war

i really dont know why i started this thread, im just trying to raise awareness because i'm really concerned/worried about the future.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i didnt mean to sound so defensive or start any kind of war

i really dont know why i started this thread, im just trying to raise awareness because i'm really concerned/worried about the future.

You may be the victim of a farce, the link contained, as DC said, erroneous and misspelled (sp?) information. It seeemed more like a product endorsement than anything else.