The Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by flame boy, May 21, 2010.

1. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

If you've watched a movie recently - old or new - then why not share your thoughts with other LPSG users. Update this as you see fit with anything you've watched and give your popcorn rating out of 5!

2. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

Greetings - saw the up-dated ROBIN HOOD - interesting in that the film ends where most of the other tales from Sherwood begin! Check it out-history buffs.

btw - some good eye candy too.

Anyone familiar with MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH? Very interesting - any thoughts on this one?

A great day to ALL; be an instrument of peace today.

3. flame boy

A Single Man
    Starring: Colin Firth, Julianne Moore
    Directed by: Tom Ford

I had heard good things about this movie and following the Oscar nomination for Colin Firth I promptly decided I wanted to see this movie. A bit of time passed and sadly it slipped a bit by the wayside and I forgot about watching it. When I decided to sit down and watch it a few days ago my initial interest in the movie had waned somewhat but none the less I watched. To summarise the plot the film is about George Falconer (Colin Firth) a college professor who stuggles to get by in life following the death of his partner Jim. The movie really got my attention very quickly and the heartbreaking opening scenes instantly pulled me in. I felt for George and really associated with how he felt. I sort of felt this was like the inverted version of "It's A Wonderful Life" where a character must see all the good that surrounds him before he realises what he has. George's interaction with Charlotte (Julianne Moore) was classic, they had a real chemistry together and you truly felt that they were long time pals, an utterly convincing twosome. Another aspect of the movie which surprised me was how subtle yet sexual some of the scenes were, very erotic and subtle at times including an encounter with a male prostitute and the on-going relationship with Kenny (Nicholas Hoult showing off a not-to-convincing American accent) which culminates in quite frankly one of the most sexually charged scenes I can recall in a movie for a long time. The final aspect which impressed me was the direction and fashion - Tom Ford is well known for his clothing but not so much for his movie directing, however this must have paid off because not only did the movie look wonderful (I loved the subtle flushes of colour when George felt happy) but the characters were impeccably dressed.

I enjoyed this movie even more-so than I expected. Firth truly was a worthy Oscar nominee. 4/5

4. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

yes, A SINGLE MAN was well worth seeing.

5. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

The child in me still loves lighter things.

My most recent film was "How to Tame Your Dragon". This was great and I very strongly recommend it.

I expected decent but it was far better than just decent....

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Last night we stumbled across a film called "District 9" on the telly.

It's an Aliens come to Earth movie with a twist. These aliens, known as "prawns" because they have an exoskeleton, are stranded in Johannesburg in a squatter's camp. They have a huge ship that is just hovering over the city but for some reason it's kaput and the aliens are being guarded by a private security firm, MNU.

I'll not tell the whole story, but it's pretty good and just when you think all is tamam and everybody can go home, they give you another 20 mins of action.
    Produced by Peter Jackson with good acting (especially by the lead) and excellent CGI, I HIGHLY recommend that you see this film if you are a sci-fi fan. Even if you aren't.

It was nominated for an Oscar last year, but I'd never heard of it.

7. flame boy

I'm looking forward to watching that movie, I recently watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" which was in parts hilarious!

8. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Avatar was the last film i watched. Awesome, enough said. 5/5

9. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    We saw A Single Man on Valentine's Day! It was gorgeous and thought provoking. I felt it was very Zen.

We watch instant movies on Netflix. Lately we've been watching mostly documentaries.

Loving & Cheating with Dan Savage was interesting and provoked a lot of good discussions between us. It's a documentary about the difficulties of romantic relationships, sexual satisfaction, monogamy, cheating, open relationships, and polyamorous relationships. I recommend watching it with your lover. It could spark a lot of good conversations.

10. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought it was really good, too. Best-lookin blu-ray film so far.

:popcorn: 4.5/5

11. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    The last movie I saw in the threatre was "dear john"... I went with two girl friends. We used pretty much an entire box of tissue. It was great though. I had to download parts of the soundtrack when I got home. It's a 100% chick flick I would not ask a guy to sit through it with me. I'm sure I'll watch it again one night when my guy is sleeping :eek:)

#11 HiddenLacey, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
  12. Autofellatio

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Avatar's storyline was really predictable, but James Cameron executed the story so well, I have no complaints to make :)

Some scenes were really touching for me, particularly those touching on the beauty and spirit of nature... call me a sap, but there are some things where my mathematical logic just wont be able to stop the feelings from flowing.

13. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
  14. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Kite Runner *****

15. luka82

Gold Member

I really wanna see Un Prophete, anyone seen it?
    Review, please?

16. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just watched Grey Gardens for the first time. Saw the movie of it last year and enjoyed it. It is not for everyone but I thought this original was just interesting as all hell. Some great lines from the film that I keep saying today

17. flame boy

I watched "This is It" recently and thought it was really impressive. It's footage from the concerts Michael Jackson was intending to perform in London, obviously we all know what happened but AEG, the concert promoter, have released this movie "for the fans" (read: re-coup some cash) to see what the concert would have been like. I'm not usually one to watch concerts on TV, I usually find them quite boring and nothing like the enjoyment of being there but that being said I was impressed by what Jackson had planned for this show. The best part for me was "They Don't Really Care About Us" which was just mesmerising. Jacksons' backup dancers were flawless and really must be the best in the world, I've never seen such precision in dancing before - it was incredible.

It gave a really good idea of how much of a spectacle the concerts would have been, the rehearsal footage which you get to see was obviously not the whole experience but they combined it with some stage direction and 3D modelling to show off how it would have all come together. As a final note I was really surprised as how good Jackson was at singing, I didn't expect his voice to be as good as it once was, but he didn't really struggle at any point during any of the songs.

Granted, it's not your usual concert DVD but it's certainly worth a watch. For enjoyments sake and nothing else, 4/5.

18. flame boy

I watched The Blue Lagoon a few days ago, I'd heard plenty about it but never actually seen it so. I was unsure about what movie to watch and I ended up somewhat randomly picking this. I guess the only reason there was hype surrounding this movie is the fact the two main characters are naked quite a lot. I thought the actual movie was quite slow moving and dull. Minus the few glimpses of a boob or buttcheek I didn't find anything memorable about this movie. I'm glad i've seen it, but I honestly won't be watching it again!

19. flame boy

I saw Sex and the City 2 earlier. I'm a fan of the TV series so I am baised by saying I enjoyed it. I thought there were some incredibly cringeworthy moments (Liza...nuff said) and the plot was predictable but it was everything I expected it to be. Nothing more, nothing less.

20. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched Angels n Demons on dvd yesterday - and enjoyed it almost as much as the Da Vinci Code.

There are a few ludicrously unbelievable moments, and it won't be suited to anyone who doesn't like a good cerebral (fairly) yarn - but overall it was thoroughly enjoyable. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted