The Movie Thread

12 Years A Slave is on my list to see but not for brad but for Michael. I think it's going to be a good one. Even though many of the reviews say it doesn't do the man whom it's based off of any justice.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I see a lot of movies and there were some excellent ones this year that are going to win awards and be widely acclaimed. I saw a preview of American Hustle... I can't recommend it highly enough. Probably won't win any awards but the cast, script and direction were brilliant. So far it's my favorite movie of the year!

Sorry can not link the trailer as there are minors in it.

Last edited:

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Until the Light Takes Us

Until the Light Takes Us (2008) - IMDb

A documentary about the rise (and fall) of the Norwegian black metal scene of the late 80's and 90's. In spite of some rather pointless scenes, it comes recommended. The focus is not on the sound of the music, but on the events and scandals that led this rather bizarre music scene to become the most profitable means of export in Norway. So not being interested in the music as such should not keep you from watching the movie. The entire movement makes for an interesting study. It is youth rebellion taken to extremes, viewed from the eyes of the aging protagonists/antagonists. Murder, violence, havoc, church burnings and desecrations, neo-nazism, paganism, heathenism and satanism.

Told mainly by Varg Vikernes of Burzum, who I guess is famous worldwide by now, and Fenriz of Darkthrone.

The paradoxes and illogical fallacies are too many to mention. If you've studied the Norwegian black metal scene, it won't tell you much you don't already know. It still is entertaining though. If you know nothing about the scene, then you'll surely be baffled by the extreme and often times highly illogical ideologies of these people.

You'll most likely disagree with almost everything stated by especially Vikernes, but it doesn't make it any less interesting. His ideology clearly comes from a somewhat enlightened and intelligent mind, but this mind is so twisted and out of sync with reality that it makes you wonder how it can even exist. How can a seemingly intelligent man be so unaware of his own logical fallacies?

Link to the movie in its entirety. Don't worry, the movie is in English, not Norwegian:

Until the Light Takes Us (English Subs) - YouTube

HFOStimmer

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Saw The Hobbit II today. I really don't get why they felt they had to make that little book into three movies. Anyway, at 2:40 wasn't a great movie to see with a bad back.

B_underguy1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Been trying to find a good list of must watch movies and/or documnetaries.
when it comes to movies I enjoy comedy, action, and thriller. what are some movies you guys have seen that are worthy of watching?!

The best doco, and close to the best movie I've seen of late is Searching for Sugarman.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you plan on see the latest Jurassic Park movie, save your money.

This movie is nothing but plain awful.

No, I take that back.

Saying it is plain awful, is an insult to movies that are plain awful.

It has some humorous scenes, but not enough to justify the plan horror of this movie.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Here are the problems with this movie:
1) No matter what Hollywood portrays, you CAN NOT OUT RUN A VOLCANIC EXPLOSION OR A PYROCLASTIC FLOW. Not in a vehicle and certainly NOT on foot!

2) Once you realize that, all you do, for the next two hours, is sit there and nit pick the movie apart.

3) There is a plot twist involving the grand-daughter that NO ONE WILL CARE ABOUT.

4) The evil person/villain is confronted and told to call the police on himself. Is it any wonder why he suffocates the grand father? And, why doesn't the grand father have a gun and just shoot him?

5) Chris Pratt's character is brought in to bring in Blue, the pet raptor with a brain. They can't come within a mile of Blue because of her acute senses but she trusts Chris Pratt, so he can. So he goes and finds her, by himself, and less than 20 seconds latter, the animal hunters surround them. So for that entire time, Chris Pratt's character had no clue that he was being followed, then surrounded but 12 other people.

6) Shockingly, Blue gets shot. The Chris Pratt's character gets tranquilized. They take Blue and leave Chris Pratt there where, the volcano starts to erupt and he barely can crawl out of the way of the lava that's about to engulf him.

7) The volcano erupts, like Mt St Helens but with more lava and the slowest moving pyroclastic flow that has ever existed! Remember Pompeii? People died and was embalmed in the flow. Everyone can out run it. Although a few dinosaurs do get hit with flying rocks.

8) The T-Rex turns out to be a diva. She gets 3, yes 3, classic Jurassic Park roar scenes.

9) Shockingly, the dinosaurs are then turned around and sold on the International Black Market Weapons auction.

10) They introduce a new raptor, with a name that you can immediately forget. Then, get this!, the animal trapper, tranqs the stupid, viscous thing, then, and this is really the height of stupidity, opens the cage, so he can rip out a tooth. Naturally, he gets eaten and it gets out. Setting off the next, predictable chase scene

11) The move pretends it's the last Blade Runner movie. There are way too many long scenes trying to set up something that isn't important. I had to go to the bathroom during one of them, and didn't miss a thing!

12) There is a cut scene at the end. NOT WORTH WAITING FOR. You see 2 Pterodactyls flying over Las Vegas. That's it.

Seriously, spend your money on something better, like paying someone to pull your toe nails off.

This movie is that painful.

Out of 100 I would give this movie a NEGATIVE 20.

And that's being kind.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm still gonna watch it. I won't go to the theater, I never do. But I'll watch the new Jurassic Park. I just won't spend money on it. (I would, but I don't have the funds, even with the new job)

I watch a lot of horror flicks. It's a need. Not a want. I get the hate out if my soul. It's good shit.

Also, never expect accuratecy in movies. The whole point is to live a fantasy that can't happen in real life. Let the movie serve its purpose. It's for FUN ffs.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm lucky enough to have a friend employed at the local premium movie theater. I get to see heaps of movies for nothing. Which subsidies the 20 dollar popcorns.

I'm gonna see Jurassic Park cuz I love big roaring dinosaurs and Blue is the shit. Raptors are love :heart:

Reactions: lms28 and Enid
D

deleted1230731

I've heard from a lot of friends who are PISSED at JW-Fallen Kingdom. Apparently, the whole 2 hour $15 movie is just a prologue for what will be the next movie.