The Myth of British Hooliganism

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HazelGod, Dec 10, 2007.

1. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I spent a getaway weekend with a couple of the fellas in Las Vegas...we were amazed at the number of Brits walking around town, until we figured out about the title fight scheduled for Saturday night.

We were playing poker at the MGM on Saturday, and got a chuckle out of the fact that the cocktail waitresses began serving all drinks in plastic cups in the middle of the afternoon. The apparent concern was that they wanted to avoid having glassware present when the inevitable violence ensued.

I'll be honest...given some of the large groups, the loud chanting, and the general level of drunkenness, I was expecting a bit of mayhem regardless of the outcome of the bout. You limeys do have a global reputation for boisterous shenanigans after sporting events...win or lose.

I was pleasantly surprised, though. All the Englishmen (and the odd Scotsman and Irishman) who sat at the tables were very controlled and mannered, if somewhat unintelligible depending upon his individual level of inebriation. And because of the relative strength of the pound sterling, most were quite cavalier with their money, too!

All I can say is...god DAMN, I love going to Las Vegas! :biggrin1:

2. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    What?! You got back from Vegas? I thought things STAYED in Vegas!! :biggrin1:

3. dong20

Gold Member

Most of the run of the mill British hooligans are at the match or, in Ibiza watching it.

4. earllogjam

Gold Member

I don't think Ryan Air flies to Vegas.

5. dong20

Gold Member

Not yet.

They are supposed to be starting flights to the US in 2009, including Las Vegas.

6. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wait until 2009 then and report back.

God help you if Liverpool ever go over the pond to play LA Galaxy.

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

I don't think ANY American city would put up with that kind of violent public drunken behavior. It's amazing that European cities tolerate it. We are more practical in these kinds of things. The riot squad or national guard would be out to beat the living shit of of people like that at the public's request and approval.

Any sign of public drunkeness at a sports stadium here winds you up in the barf filled detention cell. Violent drunks are not tolerated here in the States.

Are these hooligans so repressed in England that they need to take out their pent up anger overseas? Makes you think twice about the saying "Ugly Americans".

8. ruperty

ruperty Member

the majority of footy hooligans are now banned from leaving the country if there's an international sporting event on at the time. overall, the trouble isn't anywhere near as bad as 10 years ago (30 was really really bad), mainly because fans are totally separated from each other in and around the stadium. i'm a stoke fan, so have seen a lot of fighting in the past, and have seen hooligans (who were good for creating a fantastic atmosphere at a match tbh) go from filling half of a stand, to having a group of about 10 in the corner. they just look stupid now.

i think their anger is being released at night in towns now. everywhere you go, there are drunken idiots gagging for a fight - late drinking licenses don't help. i'm not a big fan of modern day britain.

9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, people are free to come and go as we please...it's the things we do while there that remain! :wink:

10. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I think some Americans think we're all stiff upper lip and tea and crumpets, remember our history, Brits have a huge streak of violence in their blood.

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

Really?

I thought they all came over here back in the day, and now their descendents are wonders of the world for using their shooting irons on each other so much? :tongue:

12. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

We kept the most violent ones on the Isle of Wight in case we needed them for fighting related activities :)

13. earllogjam

Gold Member

I thought Ireland got most of the wrath.

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Shush, it's a secret where we stashed them ;)

15. Principessa

Gold Member

I always watch those brawls that break out at UK soccer matches in absolute amazement; I shouldn't though. Here in the US our private shame is the Philadelphia Eagles Mock Court. It's probably one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. :redface:

16. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    See? Now what you call violent public drunken behaviour, we call Sunday afternoon.:biggrin1:

17. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Hooliganism is almost entirely connected to football (soccer). British sports fans, Rugby, Cricket, Boxing etc are welcomed aroud the world. Yes, we drink hard, have a laugh, act dumb on occasion, but we spend money, entertain the locals and don't get arsey when we lose (too much practise).

Football hooliganism peaked in the 70's and 80's though there remain a hardcore for whom the sport is just an excuse for tribal fighting. In truth, Italy, Netherlands and Germany have much worse problems now.

I suppose it is true though about the Brits, that if you want to make something of it, we are up for it. :rolleyes:

18. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's most probably a class thing. Hooligans are working class and cannot easily afford trans-Atlantic tix, nor would they be much interested to attending American soccer games if they could, methinks.

19. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    This was precisely my thought as well.

20. London_Calling

London_Calling New Member

Nothing to do with it. As Drifterwood said, Hooliganism is entirely connected with football (soccer). Brits going to watch a fight in Vegas are not interested in starting a fight of there own...

And believe me, plenty of the working class in the UK can definitely afford to pay for a flight to USA..

Draft saved Draft deleted