The nadir of political divisiveness.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mindseye, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mindseye

Gold Member

The stimulus package passed the Senate last night with exactly sixty votes. The sixtieth vote was Sherrod Brown (D-OH), who had to leave memorial services for his own mother to cast the vote for cloture (source).

It's one thing for Republicans to grandstand against the stimulus package, whine about tax cuts, spending for social programs, etc. But to stand in the way of cloture while one Senator is in the hospital, and another is attending a family funeral, is just plain shameful.

It'd certainly be possible (and it's happened before) for a Senator to vote for cloture, while still voting against the bill itself. Doing so would have been both humane and decent. It's also possible to work out a reciprocity deal ("I'll vote for your bill, if you'll agree to vote for this other bill...") that would have allowed him to stay at home.

With open appreciation to Senators Snowe, Collins, and Specter for their part in the passage of this bill, I hope voters will be aware that the other 38 Republican senators forced a guy to leave his own mother's wake.

Family values, indeed.

2. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, please... did the GOP have a gun held to Harry Reid's head as well? While I agree it's beyond the pale for a senator to have to leave his own mother's wake to vote on the biggest legislative abomination in U.S. history, Reid could have either postponed the vote or planned around Brown's absence (the woman died on Feb. 2). Ahh, but no... gotta rush to get this thing signed so as not to put the fragile "bipartisan" majority in jeopardy and before anyone can actually decipher what's in it. Yes, god forbid another moment be spent on it. :rolleyes:

3. mindseye

Gold Member

Let me get this straight: Are you suggesting that the Senate Majority Leader should have put the entire country on hold, and that his failure to do so is comparable to the failure of Republican senators to vote for cloture? You're saying that these are of similar magnitude?

4. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your Chicken Little suit must be a bit snug in the crotch and/or riding up in the back.

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    The public get's what is going on. Obama's poll numbers continue to RISE, while the repubs poll numbers continue to TANK

6. dong20

Gold Member

If you believe the economic stimulus package meets that measure, I'd have to believe you were seriously at odds with reality, and history.

As for cloture, look at the reason(s) the procedure was originally introduced, its first use and the reasons for some of the subsequent cloture motions - to overcome fillibustering against civil rights legislation, for example.

Like any procedure aimed at curbing 'abuse' by a majority it can be useful, but that can cut both ways. It can be argued it is also a potential means to override States' rights, but as in the case of Civil Rights legislation, that risk seems justifed. That said, I believe that any 'democratic' government should resist such motions save as a matter of last resort - and the US seems to have measured up to that standard admirably, and has just done so again.

It might be noted that the current 'watered down' [1975] cloture rule was introduced under a Republican administration with a Democratic Senate majority. It's also worth noting [with due irony in the circumstances] that it is widely considered Ford presided over the [then] US' worst ecomomic performance since the Great Depression.

In that respect, Republicans may truly believe a cloture motion was justified (I'm sure some do) in this case, I can't say for sure - but from where I stand, and this is just my outside perspective and opinion, it seems more a combination of sour grapes, desperation and simple spite - than a heartfelt desire to save the US from 'disaster'.

As for a Senator leaving his Mother's wake to vote in such circumstances - I believe that is really a matter for the conscience of those concerned, but it speaks volumes about the depths to which political maneuvering can sink, regardless of affiliation.

7. houtx48

Gold Member

what ever happened to we're barrowing our children's future into oblivion. when repb barrow money bad when demos do it good?

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Indeed is one of my favorite words.

9. mindseye

Gold Member

Thank you. You said what I was trying to convey more effectively than I did.

10. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    when dems borrrow they invest in infrastructure, education, homes, people's well-being... OUR FUTURE

when repubs borrow they throw the money away on corrupt corporate entities that steal the money without providing, such as Halliburton, Bectel & Blackwater.

And Reid rushed into nothing with this bill. The freaking obstructionist Repubs have done nothing but grandstand and stall this stimullus package at every turn, even with President Obama's numerous attempts to reach out to them.

And don't thank Snow and Specter too quickly, they put more pork into the bill then anyone.

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

Sorry, Veep...I may not be a fan of this omnibus stimulus monstrosity, but the label you stuck on it will likely always belong to the USA PATRIOT Act of 2001.

12. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

and you couldn't care fucking less about what the stimulus actually is... that's too bad.

you are still bent over bush circa 2004 and Swift Boating...

such a shame,.. that you wear Obama colored lenses to realize this is a total fucking crock of shit...

Draft saved Draft deleted