The Nanny State We Live in

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_stanmarsh14, Jul 23, 2011.

1. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

One of the lads I know has just popped this up in IRC, of a known suicidal guy, and the emergency services unwilling to go in to the water and rescue the guy.

https://rt.com/usa/news/california-rescue-workers-watch-man-drowns/

Reason..... they was not certified to do so, and would be breaking the law!

Screw the legalities, if someone's life is in danger, most would not give a second thought, and would go in there, and get they guy out of the water, and to hell with any legalities.

This sort of thing is not just restricted to the US, as I have seen similar happen before in the UK, though most emergency staff use their own judgement, and decide if they go in or not.

It's a dangerous job they do, and I for one, am grateful of their help in my hour of need, but following this "nanny state" idea, is a bit like joining the armed forces and refusing to go in to combat, as there is a risk you may suffer harm..... For god sake, joining the emergency services, you should expect a real risk of harm to yourself, however small. It's the nature of the job!

2. dreamer20

Gold Member

The state employer has quite rightly spelled out the terms and conditions under which the workers must operate. I find those conditions to be both sensible and acceptable.

There is nothing wrong with playing it safe and being cautious. N.P.'s public safety ads, in regard to helping a drowning person, state that one should first get a flotation device, stick or rope to the drowning person and avoid swimming out to them. That would be a last resort. The drowning person could easily injure and drown his would be rescuer. Thus was the case when my late uncle sought to rescue one person from drowning and found, to his detriment, two persons in the water who caused his death by drowning.

3. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

On Thursday it was raining...so they abandoned a load of school sports days because of health & safety rules. You couldn't make it up. What kind of generation can't play in the rain?

4. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

I don't think that this applies in this case. They didn't even recover the guy's body themselves.

I hope that all the parents who live there (on the ISLAND) keep their kids away from the water - or better still, vote in some people who can & will do the job.

5. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

I have a 7 year old niece in elementary school. Her mother is a nurse and often times cannot be reached in the middle of the day. As such, I'm the emergency contact, so I get called after her mom. I'm in the middle of my work day when I get a call from the school. They ask if I'm her uncle and blah blah blah, all of which I confirm.

"Sir, she has been involved in an accident and we need you to come to the school as soon as you can." That's all the information the school would give me over the phone. So, naturally, I assume she's broken her arm or... you know, something very serious. I hit 90 mph during certain parts of that drive and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that I was mildly panicked.

I get there and there sits my niece with a band-aide on each of her elbows. She had tried to do a front flip out of the swing set and ended up landing on them, removing the primary layer of skin.

"You... you said she'd been involved in an accident? Do you have any idea how many laws I broke to get here?"

"Well, sir, school policy is for children to go home after they suffer this kind of injury."

I wanted to ask her what policy was for staff members who suffered injuries. Seriously, she was 7 years old and she scrapped her fucking elbows! They sent her home after that? C'mon! I threw up blood once (after eating poisoned cafeteria "meat") and stuck it out through the end of the day. I feel bad for these kids. This kind of coddling... the world outside of Sesame Street is a rough place.

JSZ

6. cruztbone

Gold Member

just some zombie, before you go on any further, you have to know that in CA we are MANDATED to report any injury by phone within an hour of its occurence or we are at risk for prosecution in court. why not just call the school nurse back and find out the extent of the injury ? the nurse needs to know if you are on your way there or not. next time, call first before endangering yourself or others. how do i know?
    i am an experienced (34 years) california public schoolteacher who has called dozens of parents over the years about this same situation. think with your brain , NOT WITH YOUR GUT.

7. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Come on, there's absolutely no excuse for scaring someone to death that something unspecified has happened to their child.

8. Jason

Gold Member

My pet example of nanny state is fire evacuation procedures in UK universities.

Once a fire alarm has sounded lifts should not be used - all should leave by the staircase. Where a student has a mobilty restriction (eg a wheelchair user) the lecturer or tutor responsible should instruct the wheelchair user that they must remain on the upper floor for the fire brigade to rescue them. It is not permitted for lecturer/tutor to assist them down the staircase, or to carry them down. Nor is it permitted for lecturer/tutor to allow another student to so help them - the lecturer/tutor should give clear instructions to students that this must not happen. Both restrictions, if breached, count as disciplinary offenses and at least in theory could lead to the lecture/tutor being sacked.

Draft saved Draft deleted