The Net Effect

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has the net changed how many people conduct relationships? I’ve recently seen a couple of younger friends end relationships that in my view were very good ones. They’ve gone from apparently being madly in love to total indifference overnight. I remember when I was younger if you got dumped it was the end of the world and took months to get over. Now relationships seem to reflect what happens on the net – for a while people are entranced with one another, can’t get enough of one another then bam suddenly they’re not speaking and it’s as if there was never a friendship there at all. Is the net teaching us that people are interchangeable? Is it turning us into people who are only able to bond at a shallow but showy level?

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The beauty of the internet is that it's a useful tool. We can use it any way we want. I've developed deep friendships with people I would not have had the chance to meet under other circumstances, dated locally and long distance. That said, I get the impression some people feel they can distance themselves faster and more easily when communicating on the net. It's easier to ignore people and issues you don't want to deal with online than it is to address them in person. People who prefer shallow relationships find the internet invaluable, but again, you can find people who seek deeper, more lasting connections as well. It took some time for me to adjust to communicating/dating on the internet, but i'm quite comfortable with it now, probably because I have fewer expectations than before.