The New Doctor is In: Doctor Who???

MichiganRico

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
26 yo Brit actor Matt Smith will be the eleventh incarnation of the Doctor in the long-running Doctor Who franchise. IMO, he's quite a departure from the norm and my two personal favorites, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant.

Take a look. What do you think about the show's casting decision?

fmforums > New doctor who

Jesse James

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In my personal opinion they have gone to young with Matt. It's a HUGE weight that will be sitting on his shoulders, but those who know him, including Billie Piper, say he is perfect for the job. So, I suppose I'll have to wait and see if it works or not.

My two Doctors are Peter Davison and David Tennant, with David taking the top position on my list. David has such a way of bringing out the strongest emotions, sometimes without even saying a word.

I haven't had the chance to see Matt in anything, so I don’t know anything about him beyond what I've read.

I just think it's a big risk, but then again I'd be happy if David stayed around for another 5 series (seasons). But, having said that, I can see why David would want to move on while he was still in love with the roll.

Let me point out one thing about Matt's Doctor. His Doctor is going to have Steven Moffat running the show, and that man is a bit of a diabolical genius.

brandonguy35

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It takes such a long time for the series to make it across the pond to SciFi or BBC America, that it may be a while before I get the chance to see him in action on the series. However, I don't think it such a strange departure for the history of the series. In some ways he almost reminds (just a bit) of Tom Baker- maybe something about that slightly quirky appearance. I'll reserve judgment until I at least get a chance to see him in the role. I certainly will miss David Just as I missed Peter when he left the role (I have to say they were my top two favorites). Let's just hope that the new Doctor has a strong and interesting companion to balance him out and create an easier regeneration that some of the previous Doctors may have had.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OK Dr. Who fans, please answer me this:

Way back when, I believe it was the Tom Baker Dr Who, we had the Trial of a Time Lord. This was when Dr. Who was on trial for a crime he didn't commit and the Master had to come around and help out.

It turns out that the Time Lord who was the prosecuting attorney was no other than Dr Who 10 1/2. Apparently, something went wrong during the regeneration process and stopped with the evil Dr. Who.

Can anyone tell me, how, why this was resolved in the current series?

Thanks,

Sklar

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In my personal opinion they have gone to young with Matt. It's a HUGE weight that will be sitting on his shoulders, but those who know him, including Billie Piper, say he is perfect for the job. So, I suppose I'll have to wait and see if it works or not.

My sentiments as well. Also, he's too similar in appearance to Tennant with the pale skin and dark hair. Are we ever again going to have an older Doctor, a short Doctor, a pudgy Doctor, or a big-nosed or curly-haired Doctor?

Are we ever again going to have a male companion? Captain Jack and Micky don't count--they just tagged along for a couple of adventures. Rose was the companion during that time. The 2nd Doctor's primary companion was Jamie. Adric was an important companion of the 4th and 5th Doctors. The first Doctor has several male companions--Ian, Steven, Ben--who were every bit as important as the women.

For that matter, is the Doctor ever again going to travel with a group of companions--all of whom equally important? I rather liked the show during the Tegan/Nyssa/Adric period, where they all formed kind of a bickering family.

Let me point out one thing about Matt's Doctor. His Doctor is going to have Steven Moffat running the show, and that man is a bit of a diabolical genius.

Agreed.

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm refraining from any judgment on Matt Smith until I see him in the role. Many people have said he's a very good actor, but it really depends on what kind of character the writers create for the 11th Doctor.

re: The Trial of a Time Lord. The prosecutor was called the Valeyard and was strongly hinted that he was a future regeneration, however some fans think that he was meant to be the distillation of everything bad in the Doctor. I haven't seen the episodes in a long time so I'm not sure if the future regeneration was 100% true.

My favorite Doctor was Peter Davison, the fifth Doctor. He was smart, emotional and a inquisitive nature which often led to his adventures. He also had a somewhat range of companions but connected with all of them. (Not to mention that Peter Davison was also somewhat good looking.)

Jesse James

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I too was wondering if we would ever see a real male companion again. I agree that Captain Jack and Mickey were just, sort of hitchhikers in a way, not real what I would call companions.

As to sorting out how things that have come before being effected by what is happening in the new series, that's one of the things I love most about time travel stories.

It may be that they came up with "The Time War" to explain away some of those things that they weren't necessarily going to follow through on from the original.

For example, The Doctor is now the only Time Lord in existence. Well, at least until the writers say otherwise. But, even so, before all the other Time Lords were wiped out, certainly they went to places and times were the Doctor has been going too.

Surely he should have run into a few Time Lords in Pompeii on volcano day. But, because of the Time War the rules have changed. He won’t be bumping into any Time Lords because after the Time War, all that was time locked. Sealed off. So, the version of himself brought back to be a part of his trial may now never exist because the possible future that existed at that time, no longer does. (You realize I’m just full of Jadoon doo doo, and have spent way to much time watching a whole bunch of Sci-fi over the years, right?)

Just one more thing though. Dalek Caan has shown that what was thought to be sealed off and locked away may not be as secured as the Doctor might think. Caan was somehow able to travel back into the time war and bring Davros and therefore the Daleks out of it. So, perhaps there is some hope that the lonely Time Lord won’t always remain so.

Jesse James

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
OMG!:eek:

doesn't the UK have any good looking guys?

That’s just not fare.

The problem I see is that you can get an acting job in Hollywood if you look like an underwear model whether you have any acting talent or not, where as in the UK, talent still seems to matter. Just a thought.

Over the last few years I have been watching a lot of British television on DVD, and it has blown me away what you can have on your screen when you have talent writing scripts, and talented actors to bring those scripts to life. Not to say there isn't talented writers and actors in Hollywood.

But, Hollywood has become so much an assembly line, that it doesn’t matter if the script is good, or if the story was fully thought out before it was put into production. They have a slot to fill and any piece of dren will do.

Also, watching some of the shows that were first done in the UK, and then watching the hatchet job the talentless boobs in Hollywood do to it, is sad.

I remember when I heard that David Tennant was taking over the role of the Doctor. The DVD’s hadn’t come out yet, so I hadn’t seen any of the new series, but based on the initial publicity photos that came out, my first thought was that David was just to much of a dork to be the Doctor. Then I really saw him! Saw his Doctor, and saw what he could do, and I fell in love, and that guy I thought of as a dork at first I find incredibly sexy now.

The sexiest man in the world can be ugly if he has the wrong attitude, and someone you may not be attracted too at first, may turnout to be one of the most beautiful people you ever know. Again, Just a thought.

Last edited:

erectus

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm holding my judgement... on first glance i don't think he'll be as good... but then again alot of people thought Daniel Craig would suck as James bond... and now look at him go!

My favourite Doctors and Tom Baker, Chris Eccelston and David Tennant... will be a shame to see Tennant go... but hopefully the series will be strong.

And Skylar: the prosecutor your talking about is the Valeyard... was in the Colin baker days... there was rumour it was the final incarnation of the Doctor... however this is open to conjecture... people argue back and forth over it...

Capitolhillguy

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think he is dreamy gorgeous. The proof will be in how he acts. He is supposed to embody with youth and the wisdom of long experience at the same time according to people who've worked on the set. I would love to service him:)

JackM

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm more concerned about whether he can act than about whether he's attractive or not. I too would have preferred an older actor, but as Steven Moffat has written all of the best stories of the recent Who, I'll wait and see whether his casting choice is any good.

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think he'll be great, he's got a quirky personality that I think he'll bring with him to the role, also he's a very talented actor. It will be interesting to see who his assistant will be, because I think that's pivotal to the success of the Dr. I didn't like Freema thingy and kind of lost interest during her stint, I enjoyed Catherine Tate though, but neither came even close to Billie Piper!

I'd like to see Owen from Torchwood be the assistant, I love his character!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm holding my judgement... on first glance i don't think he'll be as good... but then again alot of people thought Daniel Craig would suck as James bond... and now look at him go!

Daniel Craig would make a great Doctor Who. David Morrissey would make a great one as well.