The New Doctor is In: Doctor Who???

Tim37

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thought there was a limit on how many times a Time Lord could regenerate?

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I thought there was a limit on how many times a Time Lord could regenerate?

I believe it was in the story "The Deadly Assasin" during the 4th Doctor's era that it was revealed that Timelords can regenerate 12 times. When they come to the end of their 12th regeneration, they have to face death just like the rest of us. It is unclear whether the new series will stick with this limitation, but they haven't mentioned it, so my guess is that the writers and producers are trying to keep their options open.

Matt Smith will play the Doctor's 10th regeneration, which makes him the 11th Doctor. If the new series were to stick with the 12 regenerations rule from the original series, there can be two more Doctors after Matt.

ChileCat

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I believe it was in the story "The Deadly Assasin" during the 4th Doctor's era that it was revealed that Timelords can regenerate 12 times. When they come to the end of their 12th regeneration, they have to face death just like the rest of us. It is unclear whether the new series will stick with this limitation, but they haven't mentioned it, so my guess is that the writers and producers are trying to keep their options open.

Matt Smith will play the Doctor's 10th regeneration, which makes him the 11th Doctor. If the new series were to stick with the 12 regenerations rule from the original series, there can be two more Doctors after Matt.

has anyone ever counted how many times the Doctor has actually regenerated on screen?

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
has anyone ever counted how many times the Doctor has actually regenerated on screen?

1st to 2nd: on screen
2nd to 3rd: off screen
3rd to 4th: on screen
4th to 5th: on screen
5th to 6th: on screen
6th to 7th: on screen
7th to 8th: on screen
8th to 9th: off screen
9th to 10th: on screen

You can see them all here, except for the 9th to 10th:
YouTube - Doctor Who Regeneration Scenes
YouTube - Doctor Who Regenerations 1st - 10th

Extended clips can be seen here:
YouTube - Doctor Who Extended Regenerations
YouTube - Doctor Who Extended Regenerations 2
YouTube - Doctor Who Extended Regenerations 3

In "The Brain of Morbius," the 4th Doctor has a mental duel with an evil Time Lord, Morbius, who says "How far Doctor, how long have you lived?" The 3rd Doctor's face appears, then the 2nd, then the 1st, then more faces appear. The producers' intention was to show that the Doctor had more incarnations than we were previously aware of, but this is contradicted by "The Three Doctors" and "The Five Doctors." Although some fans interpreted the scene as the producers intended, most believe the extra faces to be images of Morbius's previous incarnations.

ManInLondon

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Matt Smith will be great.

Every one growing up has always had 'their' favourite, and a new Doctor always takes a bit of time to get used to.

I think David Tennant will be a very hard act to follow, and much as I hate to see him leave, I'm looking forward to seeing what Mr Smith does with the role.

Remember how anti Daniel Craig as Bond everyone was.

Anyway if Matt turns out to be a lousy Doctor, there is that little word re-generation.

Freeballeruk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK Dr. Who fans, please answer me this:

Way back when, I believe it was the Tom Baker Dr Who, we had the Trial of a Time Lord. This was when Dr. Who was on trial for a crime he didn't commit and the Master had to come around and help out.

It turns out that the Time Lord who was the prosecuting attorney was no other than Dr Who 10 1/2. Apparently, something went wrong during the regeneration process and stopped with the evil Dr. Who.

Can anyone tell me, how, why this was resolved in the current series?

Thanks,

Sklar

I'm really really not a massive Dr Who 'nerd' but have grown up with it from the 70's and am loving the last 3 series,
But something that may count toward explainin the half DR happened near the end of the last series the Dr (tennant) half regenerated bringing himself back to life, he put the excess energy into his hand (he lost on xmas day) that was in a jar in the tardis, later in the episode this hand carried on the regeneration creating a second Dr(tennant),half human/half timelord, this Dr was left at bad wolf bay in paralel world with rose, because as the Dr (1) said he needs to learn caring and compassion from her.

Maybe this 2nd regenerated Dr is the half of the future?

I love tennant in the role, but was unsure about him at first, hopefully this will be same when new guy gets going.

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I hope some US channel (BBC America or SciFi) arranges to show the "Timecrash" special with David Tennant and Peter Davison. I hope the 2009 specials air too.