The New Hampshire Republican (!) Primary

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: While the major news outlets are reporting John Kerry's victory in today's NH Democratic primary, I thought I'd share with you some tidbits of the Republican primary.

Conventional wisdom says the incumbent, George W. Bush, is running unopposed, but in fact, 14 people filed in New Hampshire to appear on the ballot.[sup]1[/sup]

With 97% of precincts reporting, Bush has "only" 87% of the votes cast in the Republican primary; one of eight votes cast were by people who chose to show up and vote against Bush.

He shouldn't feel too bad, however: '84 incumbent Ronald Reagan received only 86% in that primary. And his dad, '92 incumbent George HW Bush, received only 53% in that primary. '96 incumbent Bill Clinton received 94% in his primary.

Source: www.primarymonitor.com

[hr]
    [sup]1[/sup] New Hampshire also permits write-in candidates; in fact, a write-in candidate won the 1968 Democratic primary (!). However, a write-in candidate earns no committed delegates.

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Not bad overall, mindseye, when you consider that New Hampshire is an integral part of the liberal New England establishment (i. e. a BLUE state.)

;)

3. Imported

Gold Member

hawl: [quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1075271186;start=0#1 date=01/28/04 at 05:36:07]Not bad overall, mindseye, when you consider that New Hampshire is an integral part of the liberal New England establishment (i. e. a BLUE state.)

;)[/quote]Bush is in such trouble that things may have changed, but New Hampshire is traditionally very conservative and thus a red state-www.usnews.com/usnews/news/election/map.htm. From a very happy Kerry supporter :'( :'( :'( :) :) :) ;) 8).

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Oops! My bad!

The poor little state got lost in that sea of blue!

I love New Englanders. I lived in Upstate New York for a couple of years and learned to respect the trustworthiness, warmth and practicality of people who chose to live where the growing season is only 3 seconds long.

:D

5. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: What about us Midwesterners, Pecker? It's short HERE too. :D

Wisconsin changed its primary this year to 2/17. Does not appear that it will make a difference by that point.

6. bigstr8bulge

bigstr8bulge Member

7. jay_too

jay_too New Member

bigstr8bulge..

The article tells it like it is. I come from a very Republican family; some even held their nose and voted for Dubya. I almost did. Today, only two out of 35 (parents, brothers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins) are planning to vote a Republican ticket; and one of those will end up voting for the Democratic nominee says his wife.

Why? Well, the party of Gingrich, DeLay, Lott, Frist, and Rove is no longer our party. The party left us. We have become Democrat-voting Independents.

jay

8. bigstr8bulge

bigstr8bulge Member

[quote author=jay_too link=board=99;num=1075271186;start=0#6 date=01/29/04 at 20:45:32]

Why? Well, the party of Gingrich, DeLay, Lott, Frist, and Rove is no longer our party. The party left us. We have become Democrat-voting Independents.

[/quote]

Amen man....those four names always make me cringe.  W was my last choice for president, first I went with Lizzy Dole, then I went for John McCain (and actually campaigned for him) and low and behold we got Gov. Bush.  Oh well, unless things change he will get my vote for a second time, but certainly not my enthusiastic vote.  You are right, the party of Gerald Ford and Bush #1 has left us, we are on a strange track that makes some us of puke.  The Dems have plenty of problems of their own however, we need a re-alignment within one of the two parties to start representing us (and the mainstream) again.

If the Dems were smart enough to nominate Lieberman they would win in a landslide, and I would be one of the first campaign volunteers.  Instead they have trial lawyers decrying special interests and Dukakis II with the "scream heard round the world."  Check the recent NY Times article for the truth about the Dems and the special interests they claim to oppose (and even better, Sen. Zell Miller's [D-Georgia] recent book, "A National Party No More.")

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted