The new standards of beauty. Right or Wrong?

B_JasonDawgxxx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do you feel fashion magazines, Hollywood etc. Has set an unhealthy standard for woman re their weight? After watching the new "90210" I was shocked at how super thin these girls looked. How do you feel about this issue?

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's always been that way. They even photoshop women to make them look even thinner.

As long as you realise that it's not their standard you have to get, but just the one to feel comfortable with who you are, it's all good. Never think you have to be as thin as they are. It's their job to look like that.

B_JasonDawgxxx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
But Is it healthy? I dont think its normal for a woman of say 5ft8 to be 100 pounds. These girls live on coffee and tic tacs. And than woman see them on t.v. in magazines etc and think they are fat.

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's not healthy. But we can't tell them what to do. The standard should be lowered. Less than flesh on bones is good too.

Women should realise that they shouldn't look like the women in magazines. Very few look like that and the ones that are in magazines are photoshopped.
Just stay healthy women! You don't have to be flesh on bones to be beautiful.

Gl3nn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
yeah, women want to be as thin as the ones in magazines and when they are as thin as them they can't stop with their habbit of losing weight and become anorexic.
It's terrible.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's very unhealthy and disgusting at the same time. What's worse is that you have a bunch of overweight, plastic surgery collapsing has beens running the show trying to tell people that they're ugly and need to lose all this weight.

I always had a problem with a person who's eating a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese trying to tell me how to get a better body.

B_JasonDawgxxx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's very unhealthy and disgusting at the same time. What's worse is that you have a bunch of overweight, plastic surgery collapsing has beens running the show trying to tell people that they're ugly and need to lose all this weight.

I always had a problem with a person who's eating a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese trying to tell me how to get a better body.

Yes and fashion critics that look like helen keller dressed them, lol

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Couldn't agree with you more J. Unfortunately this stuff remains popular cuz LOTS of people gobble it up. They wouldn't be putting these girls on mags and TV shows if people weren't watchin' and buyin'. It's not just the corporations, it's the audience that feeds them.

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Actually, there are small changes taking place regarding that matter. Some magazines photoshop the extra skinny models to make them look a little more 'even' (whenever the bones are visible, etc). It's also happening with celebrity photo shoots, they make them look 'healthier'.
They are not yet asking them to get healthier, just to look so. But coming from a multi-billion dollar business based on image, I guess it's an important step.

However, a fashion designer will continue choosing a skinny model because the clothes will show off more. Unfortunately, that's how it is.

D

deleted15807

The images we see everyday are admittedly so heavily enhanced they bear no resemblance to reality. They aren't photographs but rather 'aspirational images'.

I saw one photoshoot where they actually shaded in abs on the model. Who can compete with that?

D_Juan_Grande

Account Disabled
Media
The images of girls/women that we are bombarded with is completely warped. How many girls do you see that look like a stick.....not many im guessing. For the health of the girls they are targetting I personally think they should portray girls of various shapes and sizes, after all who wants to look at a stick with her bones sticking out, not me

RLSteve

Experimental Member
Media
I think they need to sell more scales that measure body fat as opposed to total body weight. That way, people could focus more on decreasing body fat percentage while still making sure they maintain a healthy body weight.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The images of girls/women that we are bombarded with is completely warped. How many girls do you see that look like a stick.....not many im guessing. For the health of the girls they are targetting I personally think they should portray girls of various shapes and sizes, after all who wants to look at a stick with her bones sticking out, not me

Yes. I'd like to see women of various sizes there too.

And yes, I read fashion magazines, but sometimes the ones I read have pictures of women like Queen Latifah and Jennifer Hudson as well as the super-thin women. I like that because it shows that you can be on the "thicker" side and still look good.

I've been on both sides of this, and neither time I was "at standard"! When I was in my teens I was VERY thin (5'2" and 94 lbs.), not from anorexia but just naturally thin and healthy - and where I lived, men didn't like "skinny women"! By the time I moved to where men were going "Don't be overweight!" and "No fat chicks", I was overweight! :mad: Now fortunately, I've never been morbidly obese - I've ranged from very thin like when I was in my teens, to the "average-thick" that I am now.

I'm all for people being healthier, exercising more, eating right (I'm not real good at that eating right part since I hate to cook, but I freely admit that! :biggrin1: And I don't exercise quite as much as I should, even though I like to exercise - life seems to get in the way.) But I don't like unrealistic-thinness being seen as such an ideal that we have all these girls (some as young as 5! :eek:) and women starving themselves to try to fit that ideal.

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Yes, I think they are pushing an unhealthy, unrealistic standard of beauty. But, I don't think as many people are listening to them nowadays. Thankfully, more and more women are waking up the the fact that us men like curves, not women with bodies of 12 year old boys.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I actually don't mind the sticks. It gives me something to laugh at. If people are going to be down on themselves about impossible standards and they are over the age of like 20, I'm going to laugh at them too. Any younger, then sure they can be roped into that shit, but after 20 I should hope that people have enough brains to realize that they probably will never reach those impossible standards.

I don't consider myself fat, but I am above the weight range for my height and age, but that's life, I will never diet, count calories, or go to some impossible length to work out at a gym. I run 2-3 times a week just to keep my heart in shape, I'm not concerned about my waist size, unless I gain 20 more pounds.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i agree with jason and he couldn't have said it any better. being from los angeles, it's so much harder to fight against conforming to the image that the entertainment industy has always portrayed. the media gives us the image that thin is beautiful. however, it couldn't be any further from the truth.

it's true beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors. but these 90210 girls who are barely tipping the 100 lbs. scale are just completely unrealistic. real people don't look like that unless they have eating disorders or plan on starving themselves to death.

i'm sure there are lots of people who find this 100 lbs. look attractive. but after being here on the site and hearing out real opinions from real people, i have come to realize accept that real men embrace curves and actually prefer it 9/10 times.

i truly believe these hollywood actresses are giving people, especially young girls who watch the show, the wrong idea about body image. in reality there is nothing wrong with the way real women look.

Tristessa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
There have been some studies in the UK and US comparing both men and women's views on women's bodies.

One study found that British women's ideal was a size 6 US/size 8 UK, but that British men overall preferred a US size 10/size 12 UK.

When the same study went around in the US, American men overwhelmingly picked a US size 0-2 as their ideal. To be fair, I've seen the pictures of the women they used in the study, and their clothes aren't very flattering to the women, nor did they always pick women with evenly distributed weight. But I still found it shocking. I haven't lived in the US in about 7 years, and never as an adult, so I guess I don't really know what it's like there anymore.

I'm not skinny, but I'm healthy, active and happy with my body. Is there actually such a discrepancy between ideals in different countries?

Interestingly enough, my sister is a natural size 0 US. She has to eat pretty much constantly to maintain her weight and not get too thin, so I think the backlash against skinny girls can be unfair too. As long as you take care of yourself and your body with a healthy approach, it shouldn't be such a focus.

Last edited: