The new Star Trek movie.

Media
Perhaps there is another thread on this subject. I still don't care. lol

Non-spoiler observations: There are no obese people in space.

I did not care for a couple of the actors chosen to play characters such as:
McCoy - Karl Urban and Chekhov - Anton Yelchin

Wynona Ryder's ass was up in there. How did that happen?

Here is the IMDB link: Star Trek Movie

The special effects that were touted to "blow Trekkie fans out of the water" I just did not see. Going into warp speed was cool but even so, I felt over all it was rushed and some hasty decisions were made.

I expected more. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you, Gene Shalit or is it Rex Reed? :tongue: You're prettier than both of them put together thank God! :wink:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
huh, people just have to over think everything, It was a great movie well worth the 7 buck I paid to see it. McCoy was excellant seemed like Bones to me except for the handsome and wrinkle free face. He even sounded like Bones to me. And Chekov was a cute 17 year old boy with to heavy of an accent for my tastes but I guess that was all part of the gig.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Loved the film...wynona ryder was an odd choice...what was up with the old lady voice she was doing...didn't fit the age of the character. Loved McCoy, plus he was hot

Media
huh, people just have to over think everything, It was a great movie well worth the 7 buck I paid to see it. McCoy was excellent seemed like Bones to me except for the handsome and wrinkle free face. He even sounded like Bones to me. And Chekhov was a cute 17 year old boy with to heavy of an accent for my tastes but I guess that was all part of the gig.

Over thinking was not part of the equation here. It was an enjoyable feature, I was merely interested in what other people thought.

Tyler Perry was a pleasant surprise for me as well.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
huh, people just have to over think everything, It was a great movie well worth the 7 buck I paid to see it. McCoy was excellant seemed like Bones to me except for the handsome and wrinkle free face. He even sounded like Bones to me. And Chekov was a cute 17 year old boy with to heavy of an accent for my tastes but I guess that was all part of the gig.

Huh?? Seven bucks?? Had to shell out $9.50 per down heah.

As an older gen follower of the modern day mythos, I found very little objectionable. The plot was a little weak, but rather well done overall, imo. The characters were well cast, and one could easily see likenesses to the original series characters in each of them (with the possible exception of Checkov, who was quite a departure from the original). In particular, Quinto's portrayal of Spock was so uncannily close it was...well... "fascinating".

Nor did one mind the departures from the original ship's design, updated yet still true to the basic concepts. Nice touch the familiar shirt tops (thank God the didn't do those pants...) and an interesting twist to the storyline of the entire series (though it does give rise to endless theoretical argument and speculation re. the undoubtedly inevitable changes to all that we've already seen).

But that's speculation for future gens. All in all, the movie was quite enjoyable, and my only disappointment was in NOT knowing it was also playing at the local IMAX.

Ah well...guess that means we gotta go there this weekend for the encore.

Last edited:

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Coincidentally enough, I'm enjoying a cup of Earl Grey right now. lol

I haven't seen the movie yet, but expect to. I've read some Star Trek novels over the years, some of which were excellent. I wonder why the producers have not had the sense to adapt some of them for movies?!:confused:

Media
Huh?? Seven bucks?? Had to shell out $9.50 per down heah.

$9.50?? I paid $15 to see it in Imax, its $12 in a normal theater. I'm surprised the OP didn't like McCoy's character, I loved him and it seems from what I read online he was most peoples' favorite new actor representing the old character. I absolutely loved the movie, one of my only complaints was the sound effects and lack of conventional Star Trek music (Only the end credits had it).

The sound effects just sounded cheesy in general to me, especially things like the phasers. I kind of pictured they just had a trekkie hiding behind something going "pew pew"

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Hmmm...the phasers...don't remember the sound of 'em, only that there was a helluva lot more blasts of light flying around than ever shown in the original series (Star Wars influence maybe). And yes I did like the way they worked in the original theme music at the end but agree the overall musical score could've been much better developed.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Whoops...hold the phone. Guess I won't be running down to the IMAX to see Star Trek this weekend. Learned yesterday that "The Imax Experience" Star Trek showing at local AMC theaters features screen sizes only a little larger than regular screen sizes for your extra four bucks.

Hardly the 5.5 story tall screen we saw Dark Knight on at the Entergy Imax (Aquarium of the Americas). After all, size does matter folks. Guess I'll have to wait.:rolleyes:

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Seriously dissapointed by this movie, and I'm a huge Star Trek fan. Mind you it's not because I'm a purist, I was excited as hell for a revival of the franchise.

It's really not as good as the slobbering reviews say it is, it feels like a wannabe Star Wars that was seriously rushed.