The New Wonder Woman

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

The following editorial is from movies.msn.com:

Who Is The Next 'Wonder Woman'?

Power up the invisible jet and get those bulletproof bracelets shined: After years of standing in the shadows, the fabled Amazon princess is finally coming to the big screen. Last week Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver announced that Joss Whedon would write and direct the first "Wonder Woman" movie.

Whedon is best known for creating "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and its acclaimed spin-off "Angel," but he has a long career in the movie business, having written the screenplays for "Toy Story" (a group effort) and "Alien: Resurrection." Whedon is currently enjoying good buzz with his upcoming sci-fi adventure "Serenity," which is based on his short-lived Fox TV series, "Firefly." But beyond his background with strong female heroines, Whedon has written a number of comic books, including a current run on "Astonishing X-Men." In fact, Whedon had long been rumored to take over "X3." Whether that was something he was seriously considering is unclear, but he's excited about his new project.

As he said in the announcement's press release, "Wonder Woman is the most iconic female heroine of our time, but in a way, no one has met her yet. When Joel and I began discussing the character, I realized there is a woman behind the legend who is very fascinating, very uncompromising and, in her own way, almost vulnerable. She's someone who doesn't belong in this world, and since everyone I know feels that way about themselves, the character clicked for me."

What does this mean? Well, don't expect a campy homage to the beloved '70s TV show that starred Lynda Carter. Look for a more serious take. I personally hope that includes strong mythological ties the character developed when she was "reborn" by writer/artist George Perez in the 1980s and that continue to resonate in the comic today.

But who will play her? If the filmmakers decide to go for a big movie star, there may not be a lot to choose from. Sandra Bullock has been named as a possibility for the role for years, but at age 41, she might be a tad old for the numerous sequels the studio is obviously anticipating. Angelina Jolie might be perfect, bringing an exotic look and acting chops for the role. However, she's done the icon thing before with Lara Croft, and that didn't end well. Sarah Michelle Gellar made Whedon's Buffy come to life, but rumor has it they aren't interested in working together again. Jennifer Love Hewitt is another actress that people speculated could be a contender, but she might be a bit short for the role. Naomi Watts would be great, but would she do it?

A more authentic idea would be to go with a Latin actress, who would reflect Wonder Woman's Amazon roots. Salma Hayek and Penélope Cruz fit that bill, but Hayek is just way too short and Cruz's accent would be a problem for most American audiences. Jessica Alba is making waves with big movies this year, but one of those is "Fantastic Four," where she's playing the Invisible Woman. You can't play two different super heroes -- those are the rules (sorry, Jennifer Garner). Eva Mendes was great in "Hitch" and would bring some sass to the role, but for a truly inspired choice, I would consider (don't laugh) Jennifer Lopez. I know what you're thinking: "J-Lo? Did you see 'Gigli' and 'Jersey Girl'? Are you crazy?" Yes, everyone knows she has had some tough times recently, but her career is rebounding. And though she hasn't shown it lately, the girl can act when she wants too (remember "Out of Sight"?). She has the star power, the beauty and the booty for the role.

What is more likely is for an unknown to be cast in the role. Warner Bros. went this route with "Superman Returns," and it allows for more of the budget to be spent on production. Expect the real dollars to go to a more recognizable actor as the picture's villain. One lesser-known actress who is already volunteering is Morena Baccarin, who stars in "Serenity." While sitting in on a Los Angeles comic convention Q&A panel with Whedon last weekend, she made her desire to be considered apparent. Baccarin is of Brazilian ancestry, which might fit Whedon's requirements. But a search will likely go far and wide with many screen tests and internal discussions to come. Don't expect an announcement for some time.

Who do you think should be in the new "Wonder Woman" movie? Let me know at buzz@microsoft.com.

-------------------------------------------

I hereby ominate Jana. Older, sensual, intelligent. Who could be better?!?

If not her, then perhaps Jennifer Connelly [​IMG]

or Carrie Anne Moss:
    [​IMG]

2. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

As if there's any question...Jana is the ONLY person who could be the next Wonder Woman.

3. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big: No questions asked. Hands down....

JANA

Smart, compassionate and not to mention she fits the description of a sexy wonderwoman.

And instead of like deflecting wristbands, she should have something to do with her head. Earings or like a thinking cap perhaps? It will reflect her intelligence!

We all know you love to accessorize Jana!

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Jana gets MY vote all the time. Now Hollywood's vote on the other hand, well there aren't that many well known brunette actresses out there who could adequately be the one to succeed the ravishing Miss Carter.

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Either Jana or Ashlar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, Ashlar looks great in that costume and he knows it!

7. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

Jana for Wonder Woman!

In all seriousness, I'm not sure which movie star I'd pick. Halle was the first one to come to my mind when reading the article, but she's already been Cat Woman.

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

In all seriousness, I'd pick Angelina Jolie hands down. She's stacked, beautiful, and believable as a smart woman who can kick ass, not many Hollywood types are. I bet she'd look great in the costume too if I could ever get it away from Ashlar!

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I think it would be curious to have Anna Nicole Smith take the role.

She needs the money.

We need the laughs.

10. D_Barbi_Queue

oh, but we can't forever ruin the image of Wonder Woman! ha/ha

11. jeepwranglerboi

jeepwranglerboi New Member

Well, anyone that knows me knows that I am a huge fan of Wonder Woman. There has indeed been talk of a major motion picture for several years. Due to popular belief, Sandra Bullock was never offered the role even though there was big Hollywood buzz about her playing the part a couple years ago. Now, I like Sandra but a Greek Superhero she isn't. Other names that have been mentioned are Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer Connoly, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Chyna Doll, Eliza Dushku and Lucy Lawless. I think Eliza Dushku would be great as would Angelina Jolie. There has also been talk that Lynda Carter will play Hippolyta, Diana's mother, The Queen of the Amazons.

I've always wondered why Wonder Woman hasn't been made into a movie before. I think all young girls and homosexuals need a hero to look up to. Hahaha. In all seriousness though, I hope that the picture does indeed come to fruition and that the parts are cast well. It will certainly be hard to fill the red go-go boots of Lynda Carter. I think that anyone who reads the comics or grew up watching the kitschy TV series has in their head how Diana should look. I mean can you imagine anyone else but Christopher Reeves as Superman? I know that I certainly cannot. Anyway, thanks Lex for the post and I'm keeping my silver bracelets crossed that filming will start soon.

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

*smells ozone from jeep's sparking bracelets* :)

13. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I agree. I was watching the SciFi channel not long ago, and it was playing the 1974 movie Wonder Woman starring Cathy Lee Crosby in the title role. What were they thinking? I know what Wonder Woman looks like, and that wasn't it!

See here: http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/135669...83/91335418.jpg

14. jeepwranglerboi

I agree. I was watching the SciFi channel not long ago, and it was playing the 1974 movie Wonder Woman starring Cathy Lee Crosby in the title role. What were they thinking? I know what Wonder Woman looks like, and that wasn't it!

See here: http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/135669...83/91335418.jpg
    [post=295630]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    I know! Wasn't that horrible! Bad, bad, bad movie. What were they thinking anyway?

15. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Romey may look cute in the Wonder Woman outfit, but Jana is gonna be hot, hot, hot with that lasso :evilgrin:

Cathy Lee Crosby should never have been cast as Wonder Woman, we all know what WW looked like and it was defnitely not a cheesy ex-talk show host who thought she was an entertainer, tried to be the spokeswoman for Carnival Cruises and now designs clothes made in sweat shops in Asia.

16. jeepwranglerboi

Hey prep, I think ya got Cathy Lee Crosby and Kathy Lee Gifford confused. Regardless, neither are Wonder Woman! :D

17. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    New Wonder Woman?

Man, just show reruns of Linda Carter in that tight fitting outfit. That's all I ask.

SG

18. naughty

Gold Member

Prep,

Jeep is right. Cathy Lee Gifford nee Johnson was the Dorothy Hamill wannabee on "Name that tune" in the 70's .Cathy Lee GIfford was the gal pal and ultimate "Delilah" of the ever arrogant quarterback of the Redskin's Joe Thiessman.She broke up his marriage and dumped his ass right after he broke his leg in the Superbowl! A class act all around !

Naughty

19. D_Barbi_Queue

I'd really like to see Angelina in that role. She's hot! One of my first girl crushes. I just don't think they'd give it to her since she was Laura Croft already. *sigh*

20. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I don't know about Angelina Jolie as WW. as Lara Croft, she slid right into the role without any changes necessary, but WW, she'd need a helluva makeover.

truth be told, I'd have thought that Sandra Bullock had been considered for the role. I mean, she is tall, natural dark hair, and damn smokin!

Draft saved Draft deleted