The next guy is majorly screwed!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by swordfishME, Sep 25, 2008.

1. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

I was responding to the "McCain ducks debate" thread and decided that my post was slightly OT and decided to start a new thread on this.

The Presidency of the United States became a completely thankless job due to this latest crisis. McCain and Obama need to seriously get their heads examined if they still want the job, even though they are both committed and one of them will have to do it.

Our War on Terror is in shambles, the economy is facing its most serious crisis since the great depression and the entire world has decided they don't like us anymore. This spells disaster for whoever gets the job in November.

It will take a long time to turn the economy around. There will always be a significant percentage of the population that will blame new guy for not doing things quick enough. This means that there is a great likelyhood that the next incumbent might only serve one term because he will be blamed for economic woes that are not compeletely in his control.

2. Simon9

Simon9 Active Member

The basic problem is the President doesn't run the economy. Never has. And never will. It is believing that he does is what gets us into trouble.

McCain and Romney were asked at the GOP debates, "what qualifies you to run the US economy?" and neither man realized the question a false one. So they both responded "I'm qualified to run the US economy because...". It was sad.

I'm sure if Obama was asked, his reply would have been similar. The best thing the President can do is get the hell out of the way. And Congress (the guys who fiddled with way too many things they shouldn't). Need to learn that lesson as well.

3. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    Well said. Always thought Congress has more control. But what seems to work is when there is a Republican President and a Democratic congress or vise-versa... I'll have to research this more

4. transformer_99

Gold Member

Not really, we'll muddle thru that too. There will be those that win and many more that will lose. The next guy as President actually comes out ahead, they are guaranteed a $ 400K income for the rest of their lives after it. The 4 years may suck for them, but they will be better off for it in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted