The night of the long knives.

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Remember, Mr. Hardcock, that what happened here tonight, for the most part, involved only week-long suspensions.

Well I can tell you that the moderating staff here is a little more lenient. What was done didn't warrant a perm ban. But if these people continue down that path after they come back, they will get a long vacation.:frown1:

I stayed out of it, so I have no idea what went down. But I'm sure it was building for some time.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just stumbled upon this thread. I've seen some people on LPSG get seriously pissed at other members. I think of the "Tiger Attack at the S.F. Zoo" and how heated it became. There are going to be disagreements and differences of opinions. Sometimes they escalate and get downright hostile. We can express our differences respectfully without attacking others, although in the heat of the moment, it takes restraint. It usually works best when the members self-govern so the mods don't have to get involved.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just stumbled upon this thread. I've seen some people on LPSG get seriously pissed at other members. I think of the "Tiger Attack at the S.F. Zoo" and how heated it became. There are going to be disagreements and differences of opinions. Sometimes they escalate and get downright hostile. We can express our differences respectfully without attacking others, although in the heat of the moment, it takes restraint. It usually works best when the members self-govern so the mods don't have to get involved.

If you knew the situation and all that it entails, your mind would literally be blown! It is DEEP brother... extremely convoluted, you would have to have it explained to you in order for you to understand it. That would in turn, get the person who explained the situation for you to get in hot water here. Suffice to say, there is soooo much more to this debacle than disagreements and differences of opinion.

It usually works best when the members self-govern so the mods don't have to get involved.

I think that's what some of the members were trying to do. If moderation was going to be loosened then members felt they had to take matters into their own hands. Look what happened.

Tripod is right though. There are a lot of underlying issues.

lorne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
HAHAHAh cred on the name, perfect for the subject. I really had nothing to contribute other than applause for the wicked use of historical knowledge.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Interesting title for a thread however nobody has been executed by the Nazi's.

Sometimes you become too close to an issue that you can't step back and say wft am I saying?!

Sometimes we just need to let OTHERS post in threads and not live in threads posting a comment to every comment that is posted. But that really does boost your post count...

Maybe the quick reply function should be changed... do away with that and have to actually really want to post something... makes it too easy to just type in nonsense/namecalling.

I intentionally turn my Latest Posts/Latest Blogs/Latest Threads. Can't see what is recently posted then really can't care too much... I'll stick to chatting mostly... I'm here to have fun and learn a few new tricks, or is that get a few new tricks? :D

Most of what I say isn't worthy of being permanently immortalized in a post that could in anyway be viewed as being constructive to the purpose of the site :) (now don't hold that last statment against me).

I await the return of cooler heads :)

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
WOW! Stay away for a few days and the sky falls!

I have read what I think was the offending thread and I agree that these decisions were somewhat arbritary. I saw at least two members who have posted in this very thread that should have been banned long before ManlyBanisters or Lex should have been. Again this is my opnion and since opnion is subjective and we have a wide range of moderators I am sure it was hell for them to agree on whom to censor and who to not.

I agree that everyone needs to take a step back and cool down- otherwise this place may implode into WWIII.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Practically all the people who are prepared to stand up and say 'that's a load of bollocks' have gone.

It's a load of bollocks, the whole debacle, from start to finish.

Though, truth be told I'm not actually standing.

That said - stand back a little and it's clear the situation was left to fester far too long. If you look objectively there was no shortage of shit thrown by all sides, and IMHO once that happens the issue of who started it pretty much becomes schoolyard rationale.

CB deliberately posted to the (3 week old) betrayed thread to bait Arliss because she was pissed at him for being provocative and she railed elsewhere at LA for being...well I don't know what he was but I say it needs medication. That's fair enough, but to then cry wolf when they responded seems naive, to be charitable.

She was provoked but this is the Internet, a little perspective is called for and she must have known this was exactly what they wanted. So, either she's smart enough to know this and didn't care, or she isn't. After the others weighed in, what happened was all but inevitable.

Arliss, LA (and others unrelated to this incident) are attention seeking misfits, they always have been, this is abundantly obvious, or so I thought. Yet many of those caught up in this were (evidently) unable, or unwilling to resist giving them exactly what they crave, either through choice or poor impulse control.

With this in mind, and without the wisdom of hindsight - once it got to the stage it did, and trying to remove personal animosity and affinity from the equation - consider what would you (the broad 'you' not just SP) have done so very differently? This is just another episode in a cyclical theme and has certainly highlighted yet again a number of personal issues, not restricted to those in the moderating team.

Finally, hiding the 'betrayed' thread is a cheap and cowardly act. Whoever made that call - that's way more than bollocks. :rolleyes:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am a moderator on one site, and I was recently perm banned on another.

It doesn't matter if you are well liked, if you question authority, you will get banned.
I got banned twice at this one place, once for lewd behavior. The second time I was perm banned, again for lewd behavior,
:tongue: Dude you don't seem stupid, what part of no lewd behavioe did you not get the first time? :confused::rolleyes: but enough people liked me to fight to get me back.
The third time was the charm. I questioned authority and it was viewed that I was stirring the pot, and it was voted on to have me banned for good
Did you finally ask them what was meant by lewd behavior? :biggrin1:
And if anyone were to mention me, they get banned too, as stated by the moderators there.
Guilt by association? that does seem a tad harsh. I was a veteran and well liked member by just about everyone, but I saw the moderators changing their views on what was worth moderating and letting slide, and I questioned it. That was the last of me.

I saw a lot of what I saw on that site, here last night. I hope that things get back to what they once were, because what happened on my site was not fun. And I hear from other people on there that the place has gone down hill big time. I would hate to see that happen again, this is a really great site.

Moderators do have a thankless, tedious job. I am lucky that the site I moderate is incredibly small, and all the members are good friends. So we never have any grief. But once you get into the big numbers for members, there will be conflict. And even if you are veteran member and well liked, if you cause a riff, you will not be around long. The goal is to keep the entire site happy, and one person banned (9 in this case) to keep the site as a whole running smoothly, then that's what has to be done.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Members suspended/banned so far:
Snoozan - I didn't know her, always thought she seemed a level headed gal.
Mercurialbliss - I didn't know her.
Cigarbabe - Responded to each other once or twice, she was always nice enough to me.
ManlyBanisters - Was kind and nice to me.
BedheadRed - Was kind and nice to me.
Vince - I didn't know him,
Lex - Was kind and nice to me, seemed a smart guy too.
Italian1 -Was kind and nice to me.
Mem0101- Funny guy, no problems here.
Arliss - I didn't know him.
Lafever - Frightened the living shit out of me.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is worth a reread truer words couldn't have been spoken. IMO

That said - stand back a little and it's clear the situation was left to fester far too long. If you look objectively there was no shortage of shit thrown by all sides, and IMHO once that happens the issue of who started it pretty much becomes schoolyard rationale.

CB deliberately posted to the (3 week old) betrayed thread to bait Arliss because she was pissed at him for being provocative and she railed elsewhere at LA for being...well I don't know what he was but I say it needs medication. That's fair enough, but to then cry wolf when they responded seems naive, to be charitable.

She was provoked but this is the Internet, a little perspective is called for and she must have known this was exactly what they wanted. So, either she's smart enough to know this and didn't care, or she isn't. After the others weighed in, what happened was all but inevitable.

Arliss, LA (and others unrelated to this incident) are attention seeking misfits, they always have been, this is abundantly obvious, or so I thought. Yet many of those caught up in this were (evidently) unable, or unwilling to resist giving them exactly what they crave, either through choice or poor impulse control.

With this in mind, and without the wisdom of hindsight - once it got to the stage it did, and trying to remove personal animosity and affinity from the equation - consider what would you (the broad 'you' not just SP) have done so very differently? This is just another episode in a cyclical theme and has certainly highlighted yet again a number of personal issues, not restricted to those in the moderating team.

Finally, hiding the 'betrayed' thread is a cheap and cowardly act. Whoever made that call - that's way more than bollocks. :rolleyes:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

Dong, as so often, you've basically stolen the words from my mouth. And welcome to them.

I don't think it's cowardly. May have been unwise, but I'm not sure about that, either.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, if I post to a three week old thread I should be banned? Do you people know what was done to CB? Apparently many of you don't and a few of you I'm afraid, are flapping your gums about something of which you only have part of the information. CB is a full fledged victim in this situation.

I'll say it again, those who don't know the situation shouldn't be telling everyone what they think ought to be done.

This is truly a tragic situation and people's live's are changed because of it.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
CB is a full fledged victim in this situation.

She's not blameless.
That may sound unfair, but I don't think it is.
Once everyone got into the fray, there was enough blame to go around.
That said, CB is anything but a troll, and her difficulties came from people who were. Obviously.
But once you accept the bait, you're part of the problem.
(And was arliss her main problem? I thought it was another familiar figure.)

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
She's not blameless.
That may sound unfair, but I don't think it is.
Once everyone got into the fray, there was enough blame to go around.
That said, CB is anything but a troll, and her difficulties came from people who were. Obviously.
But once you accept the bait, you're part of the problem.
(And was arliss her main problem? I thought it was another familiar figure.)

She had shit done to her that is literally, extremely malicious. Are you not aware of what was done to her? That shit was RAW brother, absolutely unbelievable! The people who did what they did should be arrested.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
She had shit done to her that is literally, extremely malicious. Are you not aware of what was done to her? That shit was RAW brother, absolutely unbelievable! The people who did what they did should be arrested.

The stuff indeed was raw, completely beyond the pale.
Cigarbabe would never do anything like that to anyone.
But without paying attention to whom I'm talking about, and speaking only in principle: When the argument is carried over to a new location by a given person, that person becomes part of the problem. The larger context doesn't really matter. (Sounds cold, I know, but otherwise the escalations are endless.)
Some timeouts were needed.
The mesh that was used was not very fine.
Instead of just getting the scum of algae, they got tunas, bass, groupers, and most horrifying of all, anthias.
It's messy but it's done.
And now we have to wait for the ecosystem to re-establish stability.
We should let the waters still.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dong20 said:
CB deliberately posted to the (3 week old) betrayed thread to bait Arliss because she was pissed at him...

Equates to:

So, if I post to a three week old thread I should be banned?

How exactly?

I've highlighted the key words that may suggest why I believe it doesn't. You know that wasn't what I meant, surely?

If you could re-read what I wrote it should be clear where my sympathies lie but that doesn't me blind to the actual events that transpired, surely you can see that, because I believe I wasn't writing in code.

This may sound harsh, but sometimes a small injustice can help rectify a much larger one.

Yes she did, but with respect she and others threw plenty back. What I saw was a lot of increasingly childish and vitriolic name calling spread over a few days by a number of posters, but hardly anything meriting arrest, I think you're overeacting. But, perhaps I missed some of it, since the (apparently) pivotal thread has been 'disappeared' that's possible.

That it shouldn't have been allowed to continue as long as it did seems self evident. The issue of moderator intervention (or not) is clearly a major issue for some. I've said before that I'd favour a suspension of moderation outside underage posters and let the chips fall where they may.

Some have said this would result in a verbal bloodbath. That may be true but if so, that surely says as much about the maturity of the membership as it does about the efficacy and impartiality of the moderators, I'd say.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
What I saw was a lot of increasingly childish and vitriolic name calling spread over a few days by a number of posters, but hardly anything meriting arrest, I think you're overeacting. But, perhaps I missed some of it, since the (apparently) pivotal thread has been 'disappeared' that's possible.

The worst of it was on the 'other' site, dong.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I missed some of it, since the (apparently) pivotal thread has been 'disappeared' that's possible.

Yes, the piece of evidence that all of my righteous indignation comes from has been removed. Now I seem like the crazy man on the corner shouting that the world is gonna end. If you read what was written about her, you would be appalled Dong... someday this will all come to light.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, the piece of evidence that all of my righteous indignation comes from has been removed. Now I seem like the crazy man on the corner shouting that the world is gonna end. If you read what was written about her, you would be appalled Dong... someday this will all come to light.

Come on Tripod, 'righteous indignation'? That's an epithet entirely of your own concoction and application - if that is you're saying that's what I accused you of which would be as unfair as it would be inaccurate. If it's not then I apologise for misunderstanding why it's bolded and pointed in my direction.

I was 'appalled' long before any of this happened, not because of what was said but that it was said at all by people who are, allegedly adults.

Besides, I've already said, that I think removing the thread was a cowardly act. What more do you want, blood?:tongue::biggrin1: