The Number's Right!

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Maybe that a lot of friends didn't make it. Unlike me, they had the chemokine (C-C motif) receptor 5. I was very lucky. I don't regret anything, but that others didn't have the same blessing.

Fascinating, ff.
I hope I did not seem too blase.
What difference, in transmission rate, does lack of the chemokine (C-C motif) receptor 5 make?
And how rare is this advantage?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Fascinating, ff.
What difference, in transmission rate, does lack of the chemokine (C-C motif) receptor 5 make? And how rare is this advantage?

Here is a quicky explanation borrowed from a Wired article:

Genetic resistance to AIDS works in different ways and appears in different ethnic groups. The most powerful form of resistance, caused by a genetic defect, is limited to people with European or Central Asian heritage. An estimated 1 percent of people descended from Northern Europeans are virtually immune to AIDS infection, with Swedes the most likely to be protected. One theory suggests that the mutation developed in Scandinavia and moved southward with Viking raiders.

All those with the highest level of HIV immunity share a pair of mutated genes -- one in each chromosome -- that prevent their immune cells from developing a "receptor" that lets the AIDS virus break in. If the so-called CCR5 receptor -- which scientists say is akin to a lock -- isn't there, the virus can't break into the cell and take it over.

To be protected, people must inherit the genes from both parents; those who inherit a mutated gene from just one parent will end up with greater resistance against HIV than other people, but they won't be immune. An estimated 10 percent to 15 percent of those descended from Northern Europeans have the lesser protection.

PS: Hope I didn't seem too testy. Sorry for any attitude. It has been a perfectly fun discussion, but I do have occasional outbreaks of tremendous survivor's guilt that I have not quite worked through.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
PS: Hope I didn't seem too testy. Sorry for any attitude. It has been a perfectly fun discussion, but I do have occasional outbreaks of tremendous survivor's guilt that I have not quite worked through.

You didn't seem testy, Doc. And you never show attitude.
It merely seemed logical that my remark might have seem blase ... not that you had given any such hint.
I applaud your genetic luck and hope your survivor's guilt touches you with an ever more gentle hand.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
You didn't seem testy, Doc. And you never show attitude.
It merely seemed logical that my remark might have seem blase ... not that you had given any such hint.
I applaud your genetic luck and hope your survivor's guilt touches you with an ever more gentle hand.

Wow, you learn something new everyday... FF, You have my condolences. AS for survivors guilt, just remember the ones you loved. Remember them as good people.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

Wow, you learn something new everyday... FF, You have my condolences. AS for survivors guilt, just remember the ones you loved. Remember them as good people.

You are both very kind. Thank you.

Now, I have diverted us from the urgent task of pinning down Pendragon's number. I believe the last bid was 62, so in true "Price is Right" fashion, I bid 61.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You're way short :redface:

I stopped counting at fifty :eek:

What happened to my post guessing 808 for 40's:biggrin1: :Eyecrazy:

Did we get Kochanski's yet? I'll go 36 24 36

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
You're way short :redface:

I stopped counting at fifty :eek:

What happened to my post guessing 808 for 40's:biggrin1: :Eyecrazy:

Sorry that I left that specifically unaddressed. I believed that I'd established the low four figures as the proper ballpark, but may not have made that clear. 808, however, was a much nicer guess than was 666! :rolleyes:

In return, I'm willing to double down, LP: 122? (I know, I know, you didn't count exactly... but its so fun to play.)

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
4444 is low four figures - but I think I understand.

Pretty much right for me :redface: - still, some great memories :smile: even if I have been a slut.