The "Obama Effect" in the Middle East + Elections in Iran tomorrow

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
The most interesting (and significant) news - as yet, unconfirmed - coming out of Iran today is: 40 out of 86 members of the Assembly of Experts want the election nullified. Rafsanjani is the chairman. We see more and more evidence of internal cracks everyday.

Based on "official results" of the election, a graph has been made, which shows Ahmadinejad winning in every city, every sector:

Image001(2)

----------

Nice quote from Carl Owen at Politico.com:

"OK, let me see if I've got this right. Since Barack Obama has taken the presidential oath of office we have witnessed: a) Hezbollah lose a shoo-in election in Lebanon, b) Pakistan begin serious efforts to control the Taliban and al Qaeda elements inside its borders, c) Netanyahu of Israel mumble support about a two state solution and rethink settlements and, d) A major awakening of the Iranian citizenry against the heavy-handedness of the mullahs. What hasn't changed? The simple-minded thuggery of the Right when it comes to foreign policy (and Grover Norquist, someone should gently remind him that it's 2009, not 1989). They have long preferred a modified Teddy Roosevelt approach. Speak loudly and wail away with the biggest stick you can find. I don't know if all this is the results of one speech in Cairo by the President but if it is I hope he gives a second, and soon."

A nice quote but absolutely no correlation between these events and Barack's rah rah fest. In fact what we have also seen is North Korea and Iran spitting in our faces. But oh yeah well go to the United Nations and and impose some more sanctions that will be ignored.

Cowabanga

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Iran Election Live-Blogging (Wednesday June 24)

An Iranian woman account of the protest are now saying the govt are now using axe and chopping people up like animals! The Basij are now using a bloody axe!

I am not sure we can stand by doing nothing. This may call for a UN effort of many nations. Getting axe for dissent is beyond calling for a fair election. Even if Amahdinagad won the election, it would be something to oust him for this insane brutality.

B_24065

1st Like
Media
Iran Election Live-Blogging (Wednesday June 24)

An Iranian woman account of the protest are now saying the govt are now using axe and chopping people up like animals! The Basij are now using a bloody axe!

I am not sure we can stand by doing nothing. This may call for a UN effort of many nations. Getting axe for dissent is beyond calling for a fair election. Even if Amahdinagad won the election, it would be something to oust him for this insane brutality.

It will never happen with this pussy ass liberal bitch in the White House.

B_24065

1st Like
Media
----------

Nice quote from Carl Owen at Politico.com:

"OK, let me see if I've got this right. Since Barack Obama has taken the presidential oath of office we have witnessed: a) Hezbollah lose a shoo-in election in Lebanon, b) Pakistan begin serious efforts to control the Taliban and al Qaeda elements inside its borders, c) Netanyahu of Israel mumble support about a two state solution and rethink settlements and, d) A major awakening of the Iranian citizenry against the heavy-handedness of the mullahs. What hasn't changed? The simple-minded thuggery of the Right when it comes to foreign policy (and Grover Norquist, someone should gently remind him that it's 2009, not 1989). They have long preferred a modified Teddy Roosevelt approach. Speak loudly and wail away with the biggest stick you can find. I don't know if all this is the results of one speech in Cairo by the President but if it is I hope he gives a second, and soon."

OK, let me see if I've got this right. Since Barack Obama has taken the presidential oath of office : a) North Korea is threatening to lob a long range missile in the direction of Hawaii, and is, as we speak shipping weaponized uranium around the pacific. b) Iran has flatout rejected any Obama liberal pipe dream for diplomatic negotiations regarding its nuclear program c) The US has reversed 28 years of pro Israeli policy. D) The federal deficit has quadrupled. E) 2 million jobs have been lost. f) unemployment has hit 9.4% (and rising). g) unprecedentally, the leader of a foreign nation openly insults a US president publically (chavez at the america's summit)...and on and on. What has changed? We have a pussy ass little bitch in the white house. The second coming of Jimmy Carter is here.

Last edited:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK, let me see if I've got this right. Since Barack Obama has taken the presidential oath of office : a) North Korea is threatening to lob a long range missile in the direction of Hawaii, and is, as we speak shipping weaponized uranium around the pacific.

N. Korea got nukes while Bush was in office, and Kim Jong Il has always been the type to say stuff such as this to get global attention.

b) Iran has flatout rejected any Obama liberal pipe dream for diplomatic negotiations regarding its nuclear program
Well, at least an initial "rejection" of diplomacy is better than a failed military campaign, and hopefully there will be some sort of shift in Iranian politics that makes them a bit more open after this current situation is over.

c) The US has reversed 28 years of pro Israeli policy.
Why is supporting Israel a necessarily good thing? What sorts of benefits have we reaped from this relationship?

D) The federal deficit has quadrupled.
While you didn't cite this, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (Too lazy to research this myself), but, as shown will the end of the Great Depression (both FDR's New Deal and WWII), money does have to be spent.

E) 2 million jobs have been lost.
The economy was in a tailspin when Obama took over and has only recently begun to level out. Also, job loss is generally the last part of an economic downturn to be corrected.

f) unemployment has hit 9.4% (and rising).
See above point

g) unprecedentally, the leader of a foreign nation openly insults a US president publically (chavez at the america's summit)...and on and on. What has changed? We have a pussy ass little bitch in the white house. The second coming of Jimmy Carter is here.
What do you suggest we do, then? Invade everyone who calls us a name?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is supporting Israel a necessarily good thing? What sorts of benefits have we reaped from this relationship?

I will simply take issue with this one part of your post, which, based on my past postings, hopefully will inform you on what we have reaped from our relationship with Israel and why it is a good thing

I would say, it is a good thing, and perhaps you will too if you choose to read my post on this very topic which has been brought up before.

http://www.lpsg.org/2079771-post34.html

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As this has drawn on out for a few more days, the dilemma of how the U.S. should respond has become clear.

1). There absolutely has been an "Obama effect" in Iran and it's effect has been positive. Whether or not the Iranian government's response will be fanning the flames or extinguishing them has nothing to do with Obama. The Iranian regime's behavior is not new or spontaneous.

2). The military option would absolutely backfire and is not really feasible. There is absolutely no link between the Iranian reform movement and U.S. military might.

3). The reform movement is like a delicate flower right now... over watering could kill it. The right wing wants to help it along with condemnation and harsh rhetoric, which is like watering the flower too frequently and too shallow.

4). Obama provided a spirit of "change" yet if Krauthammer and Bennett have their way... the reform movement would die immediatly under the weight of their harsh rhetoric. Obama has chosen to do the right thing and has played this as well as it could be played.

It looks like something good has become. It's up to the Iranian people to bring about change in their country. It just sucks that we don't have much time to wait for them to do the job. The military option is still on the table if they fail, which they might.