The Obama family tragedy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Northland, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Northland

Gold Member

While browsing the New York Post this morning I came across this article which most likely has been mentioned here before; but, hey, as others say, I can't be bothered searching. (truth be known, I wouldn't know where to start searching-although I did know how to Google this matter up)
    Obama's Discovered in Hut in Kenya
    Barack Obama's youngest half brother has been living in a shanty town on the outskirts of Nairobi, Kenya, the Italian edition of Vanity Fair reports.
    "No-one knows who I am," George Hussein Onyango Obama, 26, told the magazine. "I live here on less than a dollar a month."
    George's shack – which measures only 6 feet by 10 feet – features football posters and a photograph of the Democratic presidential hopeful from a newspaper.
    "I live like a recluse, no-one knows I exist," said George, who has the same father as the Illinois senator.
    "If anyone says something about my surname, I say we are not related," he added. "I am ashamed," he said of the way he lives.
    George, who recently enrolled in a local technical college, has met Obama twice: when he was 5-years-old and in 2006 when the senator visited Nairobi.
    "It was very brief, we spoke for just a few minutes," George recalled of the 2006 encounter. "It was like meeting a complete stranger."
    In his autobiography, Obama described George as a "beautiful boy with a rounded head."

A beautiful boy with a rounded head? Oh such a tragedy to be known only in that way. Not sure what I think about the entire hut story-I know if I were George, I'd start making pizza. What? You never heard of Pizza Hut?

At any rate, without the usual level of mud-slinging, which seems to go with the political threads here, I'd be interested in knowing what the posters around these parts think of this matter.

I still think Obama would make a good President, I just hope that he can find a spot in the Cabinet for his kid brother George (that way we'd even keep the Republicans happy as there'd still be a George in The White House).

2. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I fail to see the tragedy.
    Obama has no obligation to take care of nor acknowledge in any meaningful way his father's other children.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

I agree. I don't see a tragedy here either. :confused: Are all wealthy people required to take in, care for, or set up in business their poor relations?

While that might help minimize the homeless problem in the US; I bet the increase in Xanax abuse goes up tangentially.:biggrin1:

4. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    ^no, but the rich are supposed to forget their self-interest and act with compassion towards the plight of all the homeless they know nothing about, rite? Off-topic I know, that just rang funny.

5. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would suggest the wealthy just ... 'dont have time for many others'
    relatives included!
    SAD
    enz

6. Northland

Gold Member

Hello!! Anybody home? The tragedy was clearly outlined for you both:

The unfortunate lad is known only for his rounded head.

Between that, the Pizza Hut reference and the idea of George Obama in the Presidential Cabinet (to cheer the Republicans by keeping a George in The White House) it should have been clear that my posting was done to add some levity to an otherwise bitter/idea-less/money wasting campaign season.

At no time did I say Barack Obama should be taking care of his brother on the financial side or in any other legitimate way (again, the White House idea was for appeasement of Republicans).

7. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    and you're reading the NY Post... Why????????????

a trashy waste of paper published by ultra-right winger Rupert Murdoch which has been caught lying about issues several times over the past few months!

8. Northland

Gold Member

Hey, I'll have you know my links were to Us Magazine and Vanity Fair(Italian edition) so I can't actually blame The Post. To check validity I Googleed it and got those links and I only read The Post because it was sitting on the counter when I walked into the coffee shop (I'd never actually buy the damned thing).

9. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    What do you think McCain should do with his own "brown" children? Should they be given some kind of position?

10. Principessa

Gold Member

My bad, I stand corrected. I didn't see your tongue planted firmly in your cheek. I must have been busy looking at your bulge. :wink:

I'm sure you normally purchase the more intelligently written and intellectually appealing paper such as the Daily News. :cool:

11. Flashy

Gold Member

Well, in all fairness, the poor kid cannot be any worse than Roger Clinton.

He certainly is not as embarrassing as Roger.

12. uncut1234

uncut1234 New Member

its pretty obvious by the way the man carries himself, he thinks his shit dont stink

13. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

*ahem ahehehehehem*

...... Meh.
    Yes, it sucks that that's all he's known for. Most people in the world are known for even less, typically nothing at all beyond the scope of their circle of acquaintances. The fact that he's a blood relative of a high profile politician in another country doesn't grant him fame or obligate said politician to uphold him on a nearby pedestal, especially since he denies the relation when asked about it.
    The only tragedy is for the right-wingers, in the fact that they've felt it necessary to resort to such outlandish and all but pointless mudslinging. Oh no, he's famous, he's doing something with his life, meanwhile his half brother in denial is living in a shack in Nairobi.
    So again, I stand with a resounding "Meh."

14. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Funny article.

I really don't see how Obama has any obligation to a half-brother that he did not grow up with and probably does not know all that well.

Now if this brother had grown up with Obama with a brotherly bond, and now Obama was ignoring him in his time of need that would make Obama a hypocrite.

This situation here is a non-story.

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

More fluff to take you away from the real issues at hand. Watch anti-Obama fans take the bait. And since when is the NY Post considered to be a worthy news source?

Draft saved Draft deleted