The obscenity of excess

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
There was a short piece on page four of The Times today about a UK surgeon who had commissioned a £1.4 Million kennel complex for two dogs.

I really have no problem with people who earn money, but my reaction to this was that I hope she dies. How can you do this when a further 5% of your country are about to loose their jobs and other people are enduring dreadful suffering around the world?

Humanity :rolleyes:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is disgusting, but at least you know that they are getting ripped off.

D

deleted213967

There was a short piece on page four of The Times today about a UK surgeon who had commissioned a £1.4 Million kennel complex for two dogs.

I really have no problem with people who earn money, but my reaction to this was that I hope she dies. How can you do this when a further 5% of your country are about to loose their jobs and other people are enduring dreadful suffering around the world?

Humanity :rolleyes:

Still, wouldn't commissioning a 200-foot yacht be even more selfish?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
You wouldn't get one for £1.4M.

But fair question. Much though I am a pet lover, I don't think it is necessary to spend that much on their living accomodation.

There is a position where money is ridiculous and meaningless. But if you get there you have lost contact with reality and become ridiculous and meaningless yourself.

D

deleted213967

You wouldn't get one for £1.4M.

But fair question. Much though I am a pet lover, I don't think it is necessary to spend that much on their living accomodation.

There is a position where money is ridiculous and meaningless. But if you get there you have lost contact with reality and become ridiculous and meaningless yourself.

...and that is why the very best of them find self-actualization in advanced philanthropic enterprises...like my neighbors Bill and Melinda.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Drifter...I hear you, but I'm from the team of "You can't tell me how to spend my money"
However I find it in more distasteful that she would boast about it to the press.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Though, if these people earned their money, shouldn't they be allowed to spend it as they see fit?

Yes.

But that doesn't mean the rest of us can't stop and think for a moment about how far 1.4 MM pounds would go towards improving the lives of the less fortunate.

I'm not in a position to spend that kind of money on a kennel (I'd have to get a dog first, I suppose). And perhaps, just perhaps, there are circumstances in which an expensive kennel could be considered a practical property improvement and thus an investment, as opposed to a completely wasteful luxury.

And, being realistic here, even if the doc came to his senses in time and decided that the mega-kennel was ridiculous, it's not as if the money thereby saved would have gone to charity.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What we don't know...Is this person may or may not be a very philanthropic individual and may or may not give greater or equal amounts of money to benefit greater mankind. So before you sentence someone know all of the facts.

scorpiokc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Excess is always rampant, and god bless those able to pony up for whatever they want. It really has become annoying more so than usual lately, though, with economic crisis this kind of crap. I love pets, too, but I swear to God if I had any money, even if splurged on some fancy place for the dogs I couldn't live with myself maybe using 95% of that million-plus budget to, oh, I don't know, perhaps donate to a charity to feed the ones suffering about now? I find it appalling.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whatever happened to with great power comes great responsibility?

Meh! That was back in my day...:rolleyes:
They dont have a responsibility to anyone. I would gather they pay more than their fair share of taxes which in turn pays for many of the programs for the people in need.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Though, if these people earned their money, shouldn't they be allowed to spend it as they see fit?

She's obviously being allowed to spend that kind of money ... on a pair of dogs that will have no sense at all of any advantage for her splurging.

I think it's obscene.

Doesn't she know that I have next to no retirement funds?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Still, wouldn't commissioning a 200-foot yacht be even more selfish?
Whoa whoa there. Let's just leave the yacht building industry out of this discussion... :cool:
(1.4mil will only buy you a 60 footer anyway)