1. fournineteenfiftynine

fournineteenfiftynine Well-Known Member

Albums:
    During the roast of Michael, Pam (one of the more socially normal characters on the show) put down Michael by telling everyone he had a small penis. Why is being accused of having a small penis a socially acceptable put down? Why is it socially acceptable to put someone down for something they have no control over? It would have been totally inappropriate for say, Jim, to have put down a female character for having a large backside (even though backsides are something you have some control over).

There are many teenage boys watching a program like this who feel insecure about their even 2-3 inch flaccid penis even though we all know that it is "normal." Programs like this unfortunately just reinforce the idea that it is perfectly okay to ridicule males because of their penis size.

I know some will say - "it's just a joke." But unfortunately, this form of ridicule is never called out because people would accuse you of having a small penis if you were offended.

It was a really funny episode and would have been better without the easy put down.

2. Stephenmass

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can't help what you are born with 4959....I have friends all sizes and shapes I guess, some big, some small, some medium....eh, doesn't really matter much to me! And I agree, too much emphasis on jokes about penis size can make someone that already feels small, feel even smaller. Interesting post.

3. fournineteenfiftynine

Albums:
    Thanks for the comment!

As adults, we can "get over it." But I do think about the 15 year old out there who gets teased by others in the locker room and then has to go home, watch his favorite TV show, and then get slammed again. I don't think the writers think about that (or care) when they go for the easy laughs.

4. D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Jim, to have put down a female character for having a large backside (even though backsides are something you have some control over).

The comparison should have been Jim putting down a female character for having a flat chest. Anyway, I do understand your point. Joking about body characteristics can leave emotional scars, especially in the adolescent years. Although in the past I have been the brunt of male jokes because of my chest size, I still do not pick on men because of their penis size. "An eye for eye makes the whole world blind."- M. Gandhi

5. fournineteenfiftynine

Albums:
    Yes, you are right. That would have been the closest comparison. But you know that the Office writers wouldn't have done that and that the character of Jim wouldn't have said that. Isn't it interesting that it is no problemo for the character of Pam to say what she did.

6. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

In all fairness Pam stated that she only saw where it ended and not where it began (Fun Run Episode).

Fun fact... over 33 million watched the office this past Sunday! The highest ratings for NBC since ER in 2004.

7. fournineteenfiftynine

Albums:
    No, that is not correct. She said he had a tiny penis in this week's episode. I'm not talking about the Fun Run episode.

8. B_just8inches

B_just8inches New Member

the office is the bets show?

9. B_reid96816

B_reid96816 New Member

I did not say she did not say it, watch the Fun Run Episode then you'll understand why she said Michael has a small penis... (guess you're not an office fan) So check your facts before you make your claims.

10. fournineteenfiftynine

Albums:

Let me be clear. I was ONLY talking about this week's episode. Again, I did see the fun episode and I do like the show a lot. I was just disapointed that the writer's of the show took the easy way out and decided to use the old "small penis accusation" as a put down. So I'm not clear as to what facts you are talking about. I never said anything about the Fun Run episode in my original email. Geesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted