The olympics ceremony

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
China is bad yeah yeah yeah, we know that, comunism just doesn't work, it's evil etc etc.

But let us just screw all that and think of the ceremony itself, ignoring the bad things in the background.

And heck, the ceremony was so beatifull that it's real easy to do! So emotional, colorfull and symbolic! I really liked it.

This is something I've never seen before, but the opening in greece was quite beatifull too and I'd like to quote the words of many people during the ceremony in the Athens

"THIS is real art! Remember the ceremonies during the olipics in america? Those just sucked!"

What exactly sucked about them? I remember the opening ceremonies in Atlanta and Salt Lake City being "emotional, colorful and symbolic" too.

D

deleted213967

There is so much we can learn from other cultcures, step back look at the greater picture before making a judgement or comment. We all have things in our past that we are not proud of.

Ya batcha! Like child labor, censorship and wholesale repression.

I do agree the ceremony was quite photogenic...and to be honest the effort was an international one...Many (if not most) of the architects of the event were "Not Invented Here".

dajunglee786

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it was pretty cool i must admit. the reporter on the news said it cost £20 billion to organise this olympics. well if the rest is as good as the opening ceremony, it will be money well spent for people into that kinda thing. jolly good show!

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Sorry but hosting the Olympics is a giant boon to any country by way of prestige and money. It is asinine to try and separate politics. As a matter of fact, it's more about politics than sport. I guarantee China cares more about it's prestige and the money it is raking in from tourists more than sport.

And I say kudos to Jimmy Carter!

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Negative people have to get over themselves. I can't believe how you gotta hate. Do you realize how much this has done for the people of China. Screw there government. People hate the US government but still feel good towards the people of the US. Its not always about the government. The Chinese people are some of the most gracious people in the world. Hell they will even rub your stinky feet to make you feel good. If you don't want to watch the Olympics what in the hell do you think thats gonna do. NBC is still gonna broadcast it. The Olympics is still gonna go on. And you will be the only person that will be out anything. I am hoping that I can at least see some of the opening show. I know I won't get to see most of the competitions I want to see.

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah. I realize the Chinese government forcefully evicted thousands of people making them homeless so they could host the oh so precious discus throw and whatnot on that land. Any Chinese citizen who protested the evictions were beaten and tortured.

Go watch your Olympics and have a good time, I don't really care. But human rights is much more important to me than a sporting event, I don't care how big.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is no different then land being taken by eminent domain here in the US. Unfortunately people did get hurt there. I just heard an ad here on tv today where you can get properties for very little because the properties were forclosed for as little as 1000 dollars. I always thought this was a bunch of bull shit too. Peoples homes taken from them for a little bit of taxes and then someone else has them all but given to them and they make a killing on the resale. Whats even worse is someone sells books teaching you how to acquire these properties that are all but stolen from the owners.

Last edited:

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
You can't compare eminent domain or foreclosures with this. The government pays fair value for eminent domain seizures, and banks foreclose on homes because the owners can't keep up with the payments. The people forced from their homes in China received little compensation, if any. They pretty much got their homes jacked.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yes I can.

some of this shit is amazing. So far most of this stuff I have never seen before. NBC of course sucks.

if you want to boycott china do it by not buying anything made in China.It might be pretty difficult to do.

Last edited:
D

deleted3782

I will say...the Chinese know how to throw a party...and they have the bank account (thanks to the Americans) to pay for it. When I was there last year, I was very impressed with the ability of the Chinese to host visitors, to show off technological advancement, and to show off their culture. All of that was clearly incorporated into the ceremony as well.

It would havce been a great event to see in person. Maybe 2012 in London?

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cheers Deno & others

Part Chinese myself with my Father still holding title to his property in Kwangchow since 1924 i think i have a reasonable grasp of the way China is from then and now.
I was there in the late 70s and seeing 10 year olds with there baby sister strapped on there back, collecting pine needles to light there cookers for dinner that evening as compared to seeing the way things are as was the opening...WONDERFUL
Your President was able to humble himself??(maybe) and attend after his many strong words re Chinas Human Rights is a pretty clear indication to me..of Divorcing Sport&Politics
enz

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Negative people have to get over themselves. I can't believe how you gotta hate. Do you realize how much this has done for the people of China..

...oh you mean like the (link) forced evictions in their thousands, bulldozed lives with no or little recompense, now protesting, utterly distraught and mainly unheard on the streets of China.

I choose not to wear blinkers.

Last edited:

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I did, too, Tank, especially the Tai Chi done by 2008 young men. Perfection.

I couldn't help but admire the artistry while at the same time dreading for anyone who was caught making a mistake. That would be a death sentence for sure.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
absolutely fantastic. I'd love to have been there. What ever anyone believes I only have hope for China and the World. One World One Dream.

rbkwp your country has done a great job so far, good luck over the next 16 days. Hopefully there won't be to many people trying to disrupt the events.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NOT wishing to politicize this thread but perhaps the doubters will read this article and open your minds .. just a little .. especially if your chosen leaders are amongst those who chose to attend
enz

Olympics - smh.com.au

Elsewhere around the stadium were 85 other world leaders and hundreds of corporate chiefs, most of whom knew little about Beijing other than they could not afford to miss it. They are here because of China's economic might, because of its geopolitical power and to witness the world's most populous nation coming of age after 200 years of poverty and turmoil.

For four months these leaders have been reading about China's draconian security measures and myriad human rights problems. Some threatened to boycott, such as France's Nicolas Sarkozy, and others, such as Rudd, toyed with the idea of quietly not turning up. But in the end more leaders were in Beijing last night than in the three previous Olympic Games combined

If they could break from their minders to walk the streets, they would see the Games are broadly popular and so too is the Chinese Government. In a new survey by the respected American polling group, the Pew Research Centre, an astonishing 86 per cent of Chinese respondents said their country was heading in the right direction - up from 48 per cent in 2002 and much higher than any other country.