The olympics ceremony

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The lighting of the torch was just SICK.
Love China or hate them for whatever, you have to give it up to them for their opening ceremony. Simply breathtaking!
Agreed! I thought it was spectacular. The shear number of people and the fact that most only practiced for 8 months!?!?! :eek: It was truly an awesome opening event.

No, I don't agree with their politics but y'all keep forgetting the Olympics are not supposed to be about politics. It's supposed to be about the athletes. :cool:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Boycotting the Olympics this year and I will do so when it is hosted by any country that employs slave labor.

Um... on what basis do you think China employs slave labor?

Look, I spent a few years there and , sure, they don't make American wages... but then, none of them pay American prices, either.

Y'know those $70 shirts and slack you buy?

The Chinese buy the exact same stuff for $1.50.

The thing about the Olympics is this... When a US city hosts the olympics... they are pretty much on their own in coming up with the money to put the thing on...

When Beijing got the olympics... the entire Chinese govenrment unleashed unlimited funds to set up for it.

Amazing what you can do with an endless supply of labor and money.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
RBKWP is right.
In the time I spent there I found the CHinese to be among the most optimistic people on earth.

You see people in their 20s and 30s all the time with ridges in their teeth.

This tells you that when they were 4 years old, they were starving.

I WATCHED as a sleepy little factory town went from mopeds and 3 wheeled delivery carts, to having the single highest per capita car ownership in China... in just 5 years.

The stores used to all be construction supplies and fixtures... the stuff you need to build factories... Today, the street level stores are all consumer goods and services, from restaurants to DVDs and electronics... cosmetics and clothing.

China still has a lot of poor... but they already have 100 million middle class consumers... close to matching the US.

The government of China is trying it best to MANAGE the country's shift away from collectivism and toward capitalism.. WITHOUT such huge mistakes as profit oriented healthcare.

But its a big task. And they have to do it in a way that does not result in cultural chaos.

Give them a break.
Besides... over the next 15 days or so... take a look and see the kind of stuff the Chinese are eager to build... the breathtaking architectural triumphs...

And realize the US hasn't built an architecturally significant building in 30 years.

Time to put away the big foam USA number 1 fingers.
And take a look at what the next economic giant is gonna do with their money and ambition...

While we allow our politcians to piss away our financial futures in pointless wars, and de-regulated corporate incest.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...oh you mean like the (link) forced evictions in their thousands, bulldozed lives with no or little recompense, now protesting, utterly distraught and mainly unheard on the streets of China.

I choose not to wear blinkers.

Well, I have to say, the ceremony was absolutely beautiful...unfortunately, having now seen this terribly sad video i cannot help but think about all that beauty masking the ugliness behind China's rise.

No country is perfect, certainly not mine (USA), but there is something incredibly disturbing about CHina.

The people are wonderful, cultural, appreciative, interested, positive and a source of great potential in the world. The move to a market economy has been excellent, but there is so much collateral damage, from a regime that is still run by the same thugs who orchestrated Tianenmen Square.

Everyone is here kowtowing to them, and i agree we should not embarrass them during the games...but the second the games are over, there should be massive international demands that China now live up to the beauty and modernity it displayed to the world through the olympics.

The behavior of this still Communist, brutal, authoritarian regime is disgraceful.

From its treatment of humans, as well as its treatment of animals (taking people's dogs and killing them in the street, through absolutely insane anti-"bigger dog" laws) this government must reform...but like most governments, those in power do not wish to lose it. The difference, unfortunately, is that these thugs, will resort to any means to keep it and the people seem helpless to combat it due to the still very frightening interior authoritarian power of the still very strong Communist Party.

I had known about China's human rights record etc. and it has bothered me quite a bit...but how can anyone not be shaken by that video in the link above, that showed 1.5 million people were made homeless, just to put on the games.

I can only imagine the outcry here in New York or in L.A. if while preparing for the olympics our government made 1.5 million poorer citizens in the general area homeless, for little compensation, and when the people tried to protest, they were beaten and put in informal jails and the press were intimidated and shooed away.

This place would go absolutely nuts. I have a feeling that all the high profile american athletes, like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Coach K, all the corporations like GM, MCDonalds etc. would absolutely walk away from any type of representation of an abomination like that.

I will watch these games, because of the efforts of thousands of athletes who have worked their whole lives towards this and they deserve an audience. But i will watch these games with a very heavy heart....knowing that beneath all that beauty in the opening ceremony, something very sinister and ugly is being hidden beneath it... :frown1:

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
RBKWP is right.
In the time I spent there I found the CHinese to be among the most optimistic people on earth.

You see people in their 20s and 30s all the time with ridges in their teeth.

This tells you that when they were 4 years old, they were starving.

I WATCHED as a sleepy little factory town went from mopeds and 3 wheeled delivery carts, to having the single highest per capita car ownership in China... in just 5 years.

The stores used to all be construction supplies and fixtures... the stuff you need to build factories... Today, the street level stores are all consumer goods and services, from restaurants to DVDs and electronics... cosmetics and clothing.

China still has a lot of poor... but they already have 100 million middle class consumers... close to matching the US.

The government of China is trying it best to MANAGE the country's shift away from collectivism and toward capitalism.. WITHOUT such huge mistakes as profit oriented healthcare.

But its a big task. And they have to do it in a way that does not result in cultural chaos.

Listen mate, when I was a child I used to visit my maternal grandparents in Ireland, they lived (like much of Ireland) in abject poverty, the diet was eggs, lard, cabbage and potatoes....bacon if you could get it and black pudding. Now Ireland is a whole lot wealthier....so what?

The opening ceremony I am sure was SPECTACULAR, and within the next 20 years I am sure that another opening ceremony will be written about in such lustful regard.

In the meantime however, what about the Chinese Governments blatant disregard for it's own people in its drive to create this spectacle that will create wonder and awe? While you are all 'oooohing' and 'aaaahing', RIGHT now there are HUNDREDS of thousands of people left destitute, homeless, beaten by developers and governmental thugs, or locked up in jail for complaining. Also, some have gone missing. Don't believe me, watch THIS.

OVER 1.5 MILLION Chinese people have been evicted, often by brute force, to make way for the Chinese Olympics.

Not some bandwagon that I have pointedly jumped on either, but in all actuality, a fact I have known about for some years. After reading 'Seven Years in Tibet' as a teenager, I've always felt anger and reproachment at the Chinese Government and watch them with a suspicious eye.

Also, yes actually, they do use slave labour in China, much of the official olympic merchandise on offer were made by children, working long hours for a menial wage. In this day and age, that to me is slave labour. And the Chinese Government are very canny....if found out, they will report the finding of the child labour factory in the (state controlled) press, and say that officials are investigating. In the meantime, the labour goes on. But the World thinks...'ok, something is being done'.

All of you who choose to enjoy the Olympics, you should do....after all thousands of innocent people were forced out of their homes and livelihoods, with little or no recompense, destitute, in jail for protesting...after all, nothing untoward must be seen on China's tightly controlled streets.

These are PEOPLE WITH SOULS, HUMAN BEINGS, not just stories, or pixels on a screen.
Keep those blinkers on, while you watch the games on your huge plasma screen in your cosy home, with your Grandparents, parnts, spouses, your children...all that you hold dear, privileged and safe.

Again, watch THIS... (if you dare).

WOW, just look at that amazing Olympic Torch.

BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT.

If we truly live in a World where our people, our kind, can so easily turn a blind eye to the wrongs done by the corrupt powers that be to others, then lets face it, we are FUCKED.

It's fucking shameful. And utter shame on those who wilfully wear those blinkers. Shame on you.

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't you mean Blinders? I keep thinking "Wearing blinkers" is some chick in vegas with big boobs with lit up tassles.

Oh great, now I will have that disturbing mental image in my head. :eek: I knew he meant blinders but I didn't think, blinking boobies! :eek::tongue:

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Don't you mean Blinders?

I keep thinking "Wearing blinkers" is some chick in vegas with big boobs with lit up tassles.

[/color][/size][/font][/b]
Oh great, now I will have that disturbing mental image in my head. :eek: I knew he meant blinders but I didn't think, blinking boobies! :eek::tongue:

Blinkers is the correct term. Blinkers are used on draft horses or horses pulling carriages to prevent them from seeing anything but what is in front of them... kind of like some politicians... (sorry)

leonceswim

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
recorded it last night, watched it today. i thought it was absolutely amazing! unlike anything ive seen. the drummers were amazing, i played drums and know how hard it is to hit at the same time as the person next to you, now think in the thousands! fireworks were so extravagant, everything was well planned out! i was amazed throughout the whole thing! events are exciting too! go phelps! got his 8th medal tonight in the 400 im!!! he has 7 more finals to go to! haha

ConnerM360

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Maybe politics and the Olympics should be separated. That is no excuse to ignore what is happening BECAUSE of the olympics. I do not think that they should be boycotted but I believe it would be in the TRUE spirit of the olympics, bringing together nations for sport and competition, (Remember wars in old times were halted for the games) for the olympics to of been held somewhere else. Although it was the the most amazing thing I have ever seen (performed) with 15,000 performers alone. It is not needed. We simply do NOT need 4 and a half hours of excessive use of money. I think it would of devastated the government of china to have taken their olympics away thus showing them THE lesson. You can not brush those people off because the show was so breathtaking. Those people are being oppressed right before your fucking eyes.

Last edited:

fgeorgio

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didnt like it much...There was no story to say,just images trying to impress by their enormity and vast numbers.The Athens 2004 opening ceremony was far better.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
then you had no grasp of what was going on. There were 3 traditional themes going on with the telling of the story. It was done mostly for the people attending who are Chinese. It was beautiful. A living artwork.

Blinders, also known as blinkers or winkers, are a piece of horse tack that restrict the horse's vision

so both are as accurate as the other

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Post *51

Sounds to me like your commentators did not follow the script and explain to the viewers what was happening
as to how you can say..there was no Story..a little dissapointing to hear your thoughts re such
especially as effort was put in place to send a VERY CLEAR message of the History of China
Then again having Athens Greece as your location .. explains a LOT'
enz

fgeorgio

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Plus i must state the worlds hypocricy...For months before the Olympics of Athens,international media was accusing us of terrorist risks,in China already there have been 2 attacks and a relative of the American team was murdered and no network has said anything.I belive it is a matter of time before an Olympic city is hit.
Deno,the point of the ceremony is to spread the host countrys message around the world and not to try to make the locals feel proud(they can do that in their next communist parade),rbkwp,i can assure you i am far from biased,my belief was that it was just a mixture of images that tried too hard to impress and failed.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
fgeorgio

rbkwp,i can assure you i am far from biased,my belief was that it was just a mixture of images that tried too hard to impress and failed.

on reflection i had no right to over state my own views re the opening
You were giving your opinion as to the OPs thread (i had stated mine and should leave it at that.)
I can see now how over eager postings happen -learning-
Sorry
enz

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didnt like it much...There was no story to say,just images trying to impress by their enormity and vast numbers.
:wtf1: Apparently the Greek media dropped the ball on the translation of the images portrayed. It was non-stop commentary here in the USA they had a script which explained every movement color and image. I'm sorry you missed out on what was truly a series of superb performances. :frown1:

The Athens 2004 opening ceremony was far better.
Careful your ethnocentrism is showing.:tongue: I believe your eyes are green. :rolleyes: Uhm, not to be nasty but I don't even remember it. Though to be fair my parents moved from NJ to GA in August 2004 and that whole summer is a blur of activity. None of which involved watching the Olympics.

I remember being impressed more by Australia's closing ceremony than by the opening one. Italy's opening and closing ceremonys were long but stylistically I remember being quite impressed by everything but the clowns which I thought looked scary. Normally I kinda like clowns.:redface:

Plus i must state the worlds hypocricy...For months before the Olympics of Athens,international media was accusing us of terrorist risks,in China already there have been 2 attacks and a relative of the American team was murdered and no network has said anything.
Can you access www.cnn.com or http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7550969.stm they have been doing quite well at reporting all Olympic news and not just those events in which their countries succeed. :cool:
Once again I have to wonder why the Greek media is dropping the ball on coverage. The US media has been full of news on the attack on the US Mens Volleyball coachs' in-laws. Perhaps the Greek media isn't giving it much attention because it didn't happen to one of their own and therefore they don't care.

I belive it is a matter of time before an Olympic city is hit.
I sincerely hope not! Though horrible I believe this was just a random act of violence. I don't think a terrorist group has claimed responsibility. Also it should be noted that the assailant was coward and commited suicide to avoid persecution. In China that may have been considered the honorable thing to do which I consider odd, given the dishonorable nature of his attack.

Deno,the point of the ceremony is to spread the host countrys message around the world and not to try to make the locals feel proud(they can do that in their next communist parade),rbkwp,i can assure you i am far from biased,my belief was that it was just a mixture of images that tried too hard to impress and failed.
I thought they did an excellent job of spreading their message around the world. What surprises me is that a beautiful and civilzed country such as Greece completely dropped the ball on transmitting this message to its citizens.

Perhaps some people were leery about the Athens Olympics because they remembered that Greek Cruise ship attack back in 1988. Silly to make that connection when it happend so long before the opeining ceremonies in Athens? Of course, but you never goes what goes through a persons mind.

fgeorgio

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I rarely watch Greek news...i usually watch foreign news(CNN,Russia Today,english Al Jazeera,ZDF,BBC).What i am getting is they are sucking up to China praising everything they do.All countries that have organised Olympic games in recent years,with the exception of Australia have benn victims of terrorism or are even waging a war against them...Korea had a dictatorship at the time,Spain had a war with ETA,USA had Oklahoma federal building destroyed(and an attack during the games in Atlanta) and the world was obsessed that Al-Qaeda was going to devastate the Athens Olympics.Anyway...we are getting off topic.