The One That Slipped Away

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Ethyl, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Did you ever have a relationship that, given the chance today, you'd do it all differently? You know that he/she was it and for whatever reason you screwed up, lost the chance, made other choices, et. al? Or has someone told you they let you slip away? (true in my case)

2. Principessa

Gold Member

[quote=mercurialbliss;703106] Did you ever have a relationship that, given the chance today, you'd do it all differently? Yes, I have. Doesn't everybody?

You know that he/she was it and for whatever reason you screwed up, lost the chance, made other choices, et. al? Uhmm, yes and... We dated for 10 years, broke up for 4 years, got back together for 2 years, then broke up for the last time 5 years ago. He may have been the right man at the wrong time...but I doubt it.

Or has someone told you they let you slip away? (true in my case)
    Yes, that happend once. I didn't want his drunk, lying ass back then, and I don't want it now.

3. RoyalT

RoyalT New Member

Not really. See I usually think that about the most recent ex. I did think it about my last ex until about last night.

We officially, really broke up about four days ago. She is seeing a guy THIS SATURDAY and will probably fuck him. The thought of someone else being inside her and her letting him sickens me. Also I think it was a guy she was texting why we were going out. And I know she did cheat on me at least once for certain. She was beautiful but that's about it, really wasn't worth my time.

So in answer...perhaps initially for a day or two, sometimes a week. But in time, usually when I find someone new, they become the 'one'. Which is probably 'five' or 'six' but you know...one sounds cooler :tongue:

'One that got away' is the phrase btw. I thought this was going to be about guys slipping out! :rolleyes:

My Answer: Love isn't love until its past. But each future love(r) is better than the last. At least that's what I tell myself.

4. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Honestly, I don't know. That's one of the reasons why i'm asking.

5. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have only been in 2 really serious relationships and in both instances was engaged to be married. The latter was successful. :)

I was, however, recently talking to my ex-fiance who did tell me that she regretted our departing. We were together for 3 years and our plans were to marry after completing undergrad. Things changed. My philosophy.... it was her lost and she NOW sees that.

I also had a girl friend (not dating, but close friend) during high school whom I was attracted to and she me but we never made any attempts to persue. I was timid and shy and she did not want to jeopardize our friendship. It was about 7 years where "confessions" surfaced. I suppose if things were different, I would have definitely persued her. She was extremely cute (still is), brilliant (is now a medical doctor) and someone whom I could relate to very well. Alas.....

6. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

go watch "Annie Hall"

i've had a lot of relationships that i think i would've approached differently, but its the awful old cliche about hindsight, yknow? i dont necessarily think that any of the girls have been "the one", but i feel like the relationship ended prematurely, or something like that...

when i look back, i just try to learn from mistakes..."ok, i was too possesive of this girl, but then i gave this other one too much space, so where's the middle ground?"

7. Gisella

Gold Member

Well..I have regrets as because I was immature and my ways to may had hurt some, and would wish to do different in this way but it would not affected the ending and we go separate ways. But as we mature and supose to become better..some take longer than others.

But I have not let anyone slip away as was supose to be with me...and knock on wood because I dont want to feel like that and have any regrets as letting someone slip away...but I've heard that but still deep inside them it would not last even if we both did it different. It may was just some nostagia and the relationships they were in were not very good ...

For this motive its very important to take time to get to know and do not rush or let be pressured into steady situations as moving together and papers goes plus start family soon. I would hate to be trap like that and have nostalgia about someone else.

omg...knock on wood again.

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Not me. In my previous relationships, I did all I could to make them work, so there's really nothing I could do differently.
    I'm not perfect, but I never did the kinds of things to any other person that ex #1, ex #2, and ex #3 did to me. In the case of my last ex, I still have absolutely no clue why he acted the way he did. He did some really really shitty things. I don't regret the decision to split with any of those three. Not at all.
    I agree 100%. Two of them told me later "Letting you go was the worst mistake I have ever made." Of course, I agreed with them. #3 begged me to give him another chance, but I told him "I don't hate you, I just don't want to be around you. I gave you 6 or 7 chances while we were still together. I could never have done the things you did, not even to an enemy, let alone a lover. All things considered, I doubt it's possible you have changed at all." Good riddance. I'm glad I held out for a good one! It is better to be alone than to "settle for less."

Edit: damn, those formatting tags gave me hell this time around. It kept re-inserting them where I had deleted them, when I was previewing! Has that happened to anyone else?

9. wifeofalargeman

wifeofalargeman New Member

I never believed in divorce and said I never would and guess what? I did.
    I regret that I didn't encourage marriage couseling for us before I left him
    or just kept those fucking blinders on a little bit longer till the kids were older. How they have been affected has been my biggest regret over him.

I wonder how things would have been with my college bf if I had been older and ready to really commit. He was a great guy and my parents loved him!
    He has a beautiful family now and a great life, I am really proud for him and yes I sometimes wonder could that have been us.

but, I wounldn't have my kids if I had stayed with him, I wouldn't have my now husband if I had stayed with the ex.

10. DGirl

Gold Member

If I was not married to who I am with now.." I would say yes. I messed up.." Because, my man ( hubby) is the best guy I ever met!! Really. The other guys were just NOT right.." The SMALL problems that we had would have grown to EVEN bigger ones........:mad:

S- told me that if I got in the Navy, that he was NOT going to wait for me!:eek: WTF????

M- wanted me to GET out of the NAVY!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

G- wanted me to LOSE weight...." I would have IF I WAS OVER WEIGHT:rolleyes:

11. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    I had an absolutely fantastic relationship about six years ago. We met via an online personal ad and had a nice dinner & walk for our first date (although I was afraid to try a kiss or even a hug at the end; I didn't want to screw it up!). Two weeks into it, her roommate said that it seemed like we had already known each other for years. We may have disagreed on things, but I'm not sure what they could have been. We never argued, because we both quickly realized that it would be a mere miscommunication or misunderstanding.

It was GREAT. I was definitely in love.

Then, suddenly, she had to bail. When she talked to me again about a month later, she revealed that she "had been very bi for a number of years now." After much more soul-searching, she came to terms with her sexuality and realized that she was, in fact, gay.

Oh, doggone it...

But, we've been friends ever since. Lately, she's also said that she felt an aversion to heterosexual sex because of deeply-ingrained fears of STDs and pregnancy (thanks in no small part to Catholic schooling). She has dreamt about it, though, and even with me being included in her dreams.

She's now married -- went with her girlfriend to Vermont last December to get it done. And, really, they're a great couple.

12. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    My thoughts exactly. I know there are some who can't bear to think of being alone, but there are much worse things, such as being with the wrong person.

13. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    At 33... I have fucked up just about every relationship I've ever been in (I'm a man). I've cheated, lied, been way too angry, but generally it was the indiscretions that I regret the most. I have lost some good women, but everything is in the plan and I guess I have no regrets, but if I could do it over again, I would have kept my dick in my pants way more often. I highly doubt that anyone ever pines away for me and wishes that we were still together, but I don't know... I fucked most of them over, the few I haven't, probably do miss me, but I've changed numbers a few times and noone can get a hold of me, and I am certainly not looking for them!!!!!

14. Pumblechook

Pumblechook New Member

Albums:
    I wouldn't say that I knew "she was it," but as far as things having happened differently/lost chances, that happens all the time. Basically, every girl who had potential with me and I with her who I didn't end up dating falls under this category lol. The ones that I have dated aren't there, because obviously since we don't date anymore, we figured out that we could only go so far. The ones that didn't have good chemistry with me aren't either, because obviously we had nowhere to go. So, I'd say only with the ones, for whatever reason - timing and the ages we were at the time being the most common - that I could have had a good relationship with, but didn't, would fall into this discussion. I actually think the timing thing comes along quite commonly at least at my current age and environment. It doesn't bother me at all though, because every new day there is another person who you meet and the timing isn't right, so you miss another chance with each other. Then every once in a while things match up and you get the chance to see where you can go.

15. D_Yorick Yankwilly

D_Yorick Yankwilly New Member

I agree. You have to be with the right person in the end.

16. Bacchusbigboy

Bacchusbigboy New Member

Albums:
    I guess I forget the ones that get away as it is too painful to hang onto and you can end up regretting. Live life for now with the person you are with and enjoy them now.

17. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    God, yes. I can think of at least two relationships that could have flourished but failed instead due to my immaturity. Such memories are now painful for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted