The Oscars

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dickbulge, Feb 28, 2005.

1. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

Does anybody want to sound off about the Oscar cremony or the winners?

The insta-critics seem to universially hate the show but I thought it was well produced for what it is. The setting was ingenous and not boring, while it worked reasonably well at its task of getting people on and off the stage. I thought presenting the awards for technical achievment from the audience and the "artistic" awards on stage worked OK, though some critics apparently don't understand the difference between those talents.

Rock was a disappointment. He's no bad boy, in fact as someone has said he is the black William F***ing Buckley. Just because he uses a lot of adult language doen't mean his work is controversial, edgy, or daring. I didn't hear all of his opening bit but what I did hear was a little gentle humor directed at the Prez. Sweet. Rock should go back to the New Jersey suburb he grew up in. The rest was just lame and he read the prompter like a zombi.

And speaking of zombis, Eastwood's direction is just as wooden as he is. Always has been.

In best actor, Don Cheadle should have instead of Jaime Foxx.

2. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

Okay...I happened to be in Vegas this past weekend and normally would not have been in my hotel room at the time but I happened to be partied out from being there a week...But back to the oscars - I only woke up when they announced Jaime Fox won...I personally never get moved by Oscar speeches (hell Chris Rock was right - I have never watched them either) - but Jaime's speech really moved me...I mean it was not written down so it was coming from the heart...I thought was incredible and I always thought Jaime liked being silly but he showed a different side that is what makes him a great actor...I really like Don Cheadle too and think he is a under rated actor but I really think Jaime deserved it more than him...I mean just the fact that Jaime was nominated for 2 Oscars for 2 different movie showed he deserved it...

3. ziggity

ziggity New Member

Albums:
    I just saw MDBaby and it deserved every single award it could have gotten...

and it was really sad :(

and HILARY SWANK, WHO WAS ALREADY SMOKING HOT, GAINED LIKE 20lbs MUSCLE FOR THE ROLE...

turnon?

.... YES :eek:

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I'm glad Jamie Foxx got the recognition he deserves for Ray.

The first time I noticed him was when he played the corner man in Ali, for which he should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

This was an off year for the Oscars show. No blockbusters. No controversy. No Bjork.

Just oatmeal.

5. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

It is hard for me to see Hilary Swank as sexy since I saw her in Boys Don't Cry but she was smoking in that dress she had on...I think the extra pounds agreed w/her...She looked really hot...

6. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

I had mixed feelings about the Oscars. I thought that Chris Rock had some hits and some misses but got through it alive.I thought Sean Penn was particularly priggish about the Jude Law joke. Jude made some real stinkers last year but still gets cast. I jumped for joy over Morgan Freeman's best supporting actor Oscar. I was tickled to see him feeling it when the camera caught him off guard later in the show. I was also delighted that Alan Alda got a nomination. I havent seen Aviator so I could not speak for it but I am glad that Jamie won for Ray. His portrayal was brilliant almost to the point of eerieness. Beyonce is a pretty girl and she has lovely voice, but I would have chosen another singer for the French nominee for best song. Prince was an interesting choice for presenter and Puffy too. I loved Bandaras singing the winning song. He rarely gets to show that side of his talent. I also was thrilled at the return to glamour with the gowns that were worn this year.

Naughty

7. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

I thought Chris Rock's opening was hilarious.

Am I the only person who thinks Foxx just revamped his other speech? I knew as soon as he started talking about his grandmother that he'd start crying, then everyone would say he had an awesome speech and how he deserved it. Depp should've got his Oscar, but I didn't expect him to win anyway.

8. jeepwranglerboi

jeepwranglerboi New Member

I thought it was one of the dullest Oscar ceremonies ever. Chris Rock was an abominable host. I would take Billy Crystals opening any day over Chris' and that isn't saying much. I haven't had much of an opportunity to see a lot of films this year so I certainly cannot say whom should and should not have won or been nominated. I have a good friend who is on the academy and she says that a lot of it is political, I know, surprise, surprise! As far as Beyoncé goes, puh-leez! All I want to know is, why? Why would you have her attempt to sing those songs? She obviously does not have what it takes to song them. I found it atrocious, especially the song from 'The Chorus.'

9. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

I think Foxx's emotions were sincere, but I think his speech at the Golden Globes was more spontaneous. That speech was well-received, so he kind of had the green light to cry again.

I think the people that were so disappointed in Chris Rock were the people that believed the hype. He was never going to be wild and profane, but they got the audience to suspect that he might ahead of time to get more viewers. I thought he did fine, although the anti-Bush segment seemed a bit out of place, like he just wanted to make sure he got that in there. The Oscars needed a shake-up and he did that.

When I first heard that they were going to hand out some awards in the crowd and were going to put all the nominees in some categories on stage, I thought it was a terrible idea. But when I saw it I though it wasn't a bad compromise. It did seem to speed up the show, which is good. And all the winners still got to give speeches.

By the way, I watched the show on tape later that night, and let me tell you, that's the best way to watch the Oscars. After fast-forwarding through all the commercials, songs, categories I didn't care about and speeches I didn't want to hear, I watched all of it in about an hour. I might not ever watch it live again.

10. naughty

Gold Member

Jeep.

I was trying to be nice about Beyonce so I will let you rip her for me! LOL! I was wondering if someone decided since Chris Rock was hosting would they have Puffy,Prince, and Beyonce up there too.

Naughty

11. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Yeah. It might be that they were just upping their quota of coloreds.

12. Imported

Gold Member

clownboots19: You mean you guys actually watched the Oscar's? I thought only gay people watched the Oscar's?.....Oh, wait......

13. Imported

Gold Member

clownboots19: You mean you guys actually watched the Oscar's? I thought only gay people watched the Oscar's?.....Oh, wait......haha

14. Imported

Gold Member

clownboots19: Hey, I didn't say it, Chris Rock did, sorry...

15. jeepwranglerboi

jeepwranglerboi New Member

WOW! :wow: I cannot believe that you just used the word 'coloreds'. What's next calling J.Lo a 'spic'?

16. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, but Chris Rock is a token either way. And annoying.

17. naughty

Gold Member

Dr. Dilznick,

I am assuming that you were using the antiquated term colored with tongue in cheek or were you refering to the multiplicity of peoples of color ( AfAm, and Latin) represented there ?

naughty

18. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Yeah.

19. naughty

Gold Member

I thought so...
    From your posts you sound like a relatively informed human being....

20. jonb

Gold Member

I just wish right-wingers would realize making fun of TPTB is an Oscar tradition.

Draft saved Draft deleted