The Other Members Of Your Family: Pets

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've been living with Sammy, my male double yellow headed amazon parrot (dyha for short) for almost ten years now. He was seven and a few months when I got him, and he just turned seventeen years old in March. I can't imagine life without him, which is good, because I hope he'll still be with me when I get my first social security check. He is very well taken care of, eats a mix of sprouted grains and beans with veggies and fruit as his base, with some nuts and occasional healthy "people food" thrown in. He has a huge cage meant for birds twice his size (I can fit inside it myself), and plenty of toys to keep him busy when I'm at work. He's so tightly bonded to me that if I fall asleep on the couch with him, he sits on my chest and guards me from my "evil roommates" (in his eyes, anyway). I know a lot of you talked about your dogs and cats, and a few about your rabbits, but parrots can give just as much love, and so I thought I needed to speak up on their behalf. Here are some pics.
:)

Attachments

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
I've been living with Sammy, my male double yellow headed amazon parrot (dyha for short) for almost ten years now. He was seven and a few months when I got him, and he just turned seventeen years old in March. I can't imagine life without him, which is good, because I hope he'll still be with me when I get my first social security check. He is very well taken care of, eats a mix of sprouted grains and beans with veggies and fruit as his base, with some nuts and occasional healthy "people food" thrown in. He has a huge cage meant for birds twice his size (I can fit inside it myself), and plenty of toys to keep him busy when I'm at work. He's so tightly bonded to me that if I fall asleep on the couch with him, he sits on my chest and guards me from my "evil roommates" (in his eyes, anyway). I know a lot of you talked about your dogs and cats, and a few about your rabbits, but parrots can give just as much love, and so I thought I needed to speak up on their behalf. Here are some pics.

i'm not a bird person but i like the last picture of him sitting on your head. sooo cute!! and you have great eyebrows by the way... love the shape :wink:

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
oh yeah i forgot about the shedding and the howling. so high maintenance, lol. but gosh they are such beautiful creatures, aren't they?
Lol, how could you forget the 3am or full moon howling fits?!? :)

Ok, I wanna play, here are my gurlz...

Tuna Turner & k.b.
Big cats! We used to have a lhasa apso, I think both of your cats could kick his ass. ;) So cute and fluffy.

He's cute!
My friend's mom has a few parrot from C. America, we always have to be careful what's said around them becaus they mimic everything!

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
Lol, how could you forget the 3am or full moon howling fits?!? :)
they really howl at the moon? :confused: i thought that was all made up.

He's cute!
My friend's mom has a few parrot from C. America, we always have to be careful what's said around them becaus they mimic everything!
yes so true! my brother taught his friend's bird to say "shut the fuck up." the bird repeated it like a scratched record.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
they really howl at the moon? :confused: i thought that was all made up.
Nope, they howl at the moon, sirens, any high pitched sound similar to their howling or barking, the santa annas, earthquakes... it was constant howling. But we had three, so it was like a pack. One dog may have less tendency to howl? Maybe Nick44 will chime in on his experience?

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Nope, they howl at the moon, sirens, any high pitched sound similar to their howling or barking, the santa annas, earthquakes... it was constant howling. But we had three, so it was like a pack. One dog may have less tendency to howl? Maybe Nick44 will chime in on his experience?

the one pictured was part of a pack of four Siberian Huskies

could get them to howl on cue, but otherwise, they were pretty quiet, and I never heard these four howl at the moon

the one whose picture I listed was also VERY vocal ... rarely barked, but was always "talking" around people ... it was very clear from the tone he used that he was pleased, or disapproving ... always generated a lot of comments

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Simcha, Panchoe is just the cutest. I hope he feels better soon. What an adorable face.

I have five German Sheperds. Mom, Dad, two daughters and son. They are my children. Just like Stacy1185, I too, throw a birthday party for them. They have their own bedroom in the house, or they can sleep with us. Two men, five dogs, one California King size bed. I like when we wake up and we are all in the bed. They swim in the pool. I just love them to death....I would do anything for them.

Aw, thanks....

Pancho's ears look like they are beginning the process of healing. He certainly has more energy. He's been running around, climbing, and knocking over things like a kitten! He's 15 and definitely not like other 15 year old cats I've known who sleep most of the day... :biggrin1:

And I love German Shepherds...

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow, what a beautiful dog! I love how he has differently colored eyes.

I second that. Absolute beauty.

Archie (my aforepictured bulldogge) was up to no good today people. Learned a new way to get daddy's attention. He's about to turn 2, so full-size but still a puppy mentality. Anyway, he discovered that if he runs from the bedroom to the living room at full speed and jumps on the recliner at just the right angle he knocks it over.

The first time he did it he was freaked the fuck out. Once he realized he didn't get hurt, and more importantly realized that dad noticed that he just knocked over the 4th heaviest thing in the house it's rapidly become his new hobby.

Exactly the kind of shit I would have pulled when I was his age (relatively). What is it they say about dogs becoming like their owners? :biggrin1:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I second that. Absolute beauty.

Archie (my aforepictured bulldogge) was up to no good today people. Learned a new way to get daddy's attention. He's about to turn 2, so full-size but still a puppy mentality. Anyway, he discovered that if he runs from the bedroom to the living room at full speed and jumps on the recliner at just the right angle he knocks it over.

The first time he did it he was freaked the fuck out. Once he realized he didn't get hurt, and more importantly realized that dad noticed that he just knocked over the 4th heaviest thing in the house it's rapidly become his new hobby.

Exactly the kind of shit I would have pulled when I was his age (relatively). What is it they say about dogs becoming like their owners? :biggrin1:

That's just adorable. I'm sorry he's found such a noisy thing to do that could potentially damage the floor, but it is funny... :biggrin1: