The Penis is a Muscle!

remek

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Every man, I would presume, wonders if he can enlarge his penis at some point in his life . . .

. . . well, except for several of the "gifted" gentlemen that are members here.

Nonetheless, many men think about their penis size much more than others. I myself am curious by nature, so I always wondered how this magnificent organ between my leg works. I also was on the "smaller" side. It wasn't long before I too wondered if the penis could enlarge. Several years ago, I learned that the answer was no. "Penis enlargement is impossible," I was informed by a famous internet doctor. He also claimed that the penis in no way resembles a muscle, and therefore penis enlargement through penile exercising is out of the question.

The Truth

Eventually, I learned the truth: the doctor was following a highly accepted myth. The fact is: penis enlargement is very real.

Yes, penile exercising works. However, no one knows exactly how penis enlargement works. Does it work by stretching the tissue? Does it create more cells in the penis or enlarge the cells already there? Does it work by creating scar tissue (which is clearly improbable, but still a question that many men ask)? Moreover, how do the exercises really work? Why do some men report multiple inches gains and why do others not gain at all?

Theoretically, you apply stress to a tissue and it gradually gets bigger overtime. Many men and women have done this to their earlobes, for example. But the penis is much more complex than earlobes.

The Penis Is Complex

The penis has a deep, important function. It has to go from flaccid to erect; it has to urine; it has to give you pleasure; and most importantly, it has to discharge semen so you can pass on your genes (although, many men will argue that the former is the more important). Regardless, your penis is much more complex than your earlobes. The earlobes have no biological function and are largely just made of fat tissue. The penis, on the other hand, is made of several different tissues that are essential to the proper functioning of the penis. If you damage these tissues then the penis won't work--period.

Penile Exercising is Healthy
With that in mind, how do penile exercises enlarge the penis without doing any damage to it? Stretching your earlobe clearly damages it, so why is the penis different? We know that penile exercising doesn't damage the penis because thousands of men report that it makes their erections stronger and harder--a clear indication that penile exercising is healthy. In fact, I did a penis enlargement survey of nearly 1000 penile exercisers in the summer of 2005, and the majority of men reported stronger and harder erections due to penis enlargement exercises. Less than 1 percent of men reported weaker erections (and these few men were overtraining, I would presume).

All of this evidence brings about more questions. How is this possible? How does stretching and squeezing the penis not only cause it to enlarge, but also makes the penis healthier? For over a year, these questions racked my brain like the fact that Britney Spears married K-Fed (really, what was she thinking? . . . . or on second thought, what the hell was he thinking?). In any event, there was only one type of tissue that I knew of that could enlarge, harden, and become healthier with exercise--and that's muscle.

Science truly is mysterious. Even scientific facts aren't always fact. But like many scientists, I follow the evidence, at least to the best of my abilities, to wherever it takes me. . . And I was awestruck when I found my answer. . . .

The Penis: Half Muscle

I was rather dumbfounded when I learned that the penis truly is a muscle -- not completely muscle, and not a normal muscle -- but approximately 50 percent smooth muscle. Now don't get me wrong, smooth muscle is distinctly different than skeletal muscle, but it's still muscle. And the penis is made of half of it. In February in 2004, the Journal of Urology reported the amount of penile smooth muscle in the article, Sildenafil preserves intracorporeal smooth muscle after radical retropubic prostatectomy. Here is a segment of the authors' findings:

Published reports suggest that the average penis smooth muscle percent is between 40% and 50%. . . . In contrast, patients with veno-occlusive erectile dysfunction show a much lower percent on microscopic examination. A prior study suggested that these patients have a smooth muscle percent of only 10% to 36%.
The article above confirms that the penis is in fact part muscle. For more confirmation, see the references located at the end of this article.

But what exactly is smooth muscle? And more importantly, what's its role in the penis?

Healthy Smooth Muscle is Essential for Healthy Erections
Smooth muscle is extremely important for vital erections. As the Journal of Urology article above noted:

Normal smooth muscle content and function are necessary for the initiation and maintenance of erection.
To that end, the health of your penis muscle literally defines the health of your erections! This is well documented in another article by Dr. George J. Christ, which was published in The Urologic Clinics of North America: The penis as a vascular organ: The importance of corporal smooth muscle tone in the control of erection.Here is what Dr. Christ had to say about the penis's smooth muscle:

Complete smooth muscle relaxation is both necessary and sufficient to elicit an erection.
In his article, Christ went over (in detail, down to the chemistry) the smooth muscle's role in the penis. The bottom line: smooth muscle is very, very important for proper erections. The smooth muscle causes an erection (which is set off through chemical reactions) by completely relaxing. An erection cannot take place if the smooth muscle cannot completely relax. . . . Accordingly, the smooth muscle is not only important for an erection; it is the erection!

Penis Smooth Muscle and Penile Exercising
How does smooth muscle tie into penile exercising?Well, considering the fact that penile exercising makes erections stronger, harder, and longer-lasting, it would make sense that penile exercising either creates more smooth muscle cells (it could theoretically cause the smooth muscles cells to grow, but in talks with several doctors on the subject, they agree that cell multiplication is most likely). Furthermore, for the penis to enlarge, the smooth muscle must enlarge too.

Also, because the penis is compromised of 50 percent smooth muscle, and smooth muscle has a lot of the basic properties of skeletal muscle, we can presume that smooth muscle might react to stress the same way normal muscle does. Which is a no brainer! What are guys who "PE" doing? They're Exercising!

Indeed, the penis is an extraordinary organ that has captured our attention since we were little boys. And penile exercising is an extraordinary process. No one is for certain how penis enlargement works, but it is probably much more simple than we think.

By taking conventional wisdom (we know that muscle grows due to exercise) and comparing it to scientific facts (the penis is 50 percent smooth muscle and smooth muscle also grows due to stress) we can theorize that the smooth muscle of the penis plays some role in penis enlargement - I'm not sure how much, or how little, but at least some role.

References and Further Reading
  • Andersson, K. E., and G. Wagner. Physiology of Penile Erection. Physiolgocal Reviews. Vol. 75 (1995), pp 191-236.
  • Berk, Bradford C. “Vascular Smooth Muscle Growth: Autocrine Growth Mechanisms.” Physiological Reviews. Vol. 81 (2001), No. 3, pp. 999-1030.
  • Christ, George J. “The Penis as a Vascular OrganUrologic Clinics of North America. Vol. 22 (1995), No. 4, pp. 727-745.
  • DiSanto, Michael, et al. "Expression of Myosin Isoforms in Smooth Muscle Cells in the Corpus Cavernosum." American Journal of Physiology: Cell Physiology. Vol. 275 (1998), No. 4, pp. 976-987.
  • Dorey, Grace. Pelvic Floor Exercises for Erectile Dysfunction. London: Whurr, 2004.
  • Kiviat, M. D., et al. “Smooth Muscle Regeneration in the Ureter. Electron microscopic and autoradiographic observations.” American Journal of Pathology. Vol. 72 (1973), No. 3, pp. 403-416.
  • Kemmer, Aaron. "Exercising the Penis: How to Make Your Most Prized Organ Bigger, Harder & Healthier (Penis Enlargement)." San Fransisco: Semprove, 2008.
  • The Penis Enlargement Gym: Original article, The Penis Is a Muscle!
  • Scwartz, E. J., et al. “Sildenafil Preserves Intracorporeal Smooth Muscle After Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy.” Clinical Urology. Volume 171(2), February 2004, pp. 771-774.
  • Wikipedia: Smooth Muscle.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Every man, I would presume, wonders if he can enlarge his penis at some point in his life . . .

. . . well, except for several of the "gifted" gentlemen that are members here.

Nonetheless, many men think about their penis size much more than others. I myself am curious by nature, so I always wondered how this magnificent organ between my leg works. I also was on the "smaller" side. It wasn't long before I too wondered if the penis could enlarge. Several years ago, I learned that the answer was no. "Penis enlargement is impossible," I was informed by a famous internet doctor. He also claimed that the penis in no way resembles a muscle, and therefore penis enlargement through penile exercising is out of the question.

The Truth
Eventually, I learned the truth: the doctor was following a highly accepted myth. The fact is: penis enlargement is very real.

Yes, penile exercising works. However, no one knows exactly how penis enlargement works. Does it work by stretching the tissue? Does it create more cells in the penis or enlarge the cells already there? Does it work by creating scar tissue (which is clearly improbable, but still a question that many men ask)? Moreover, how do the exercises really work? Why do some men report multiple inches gains and why do others not gain at all?

Theoretically, you apply stress to a tissue and it gradually gets bigger overtime. Many men and women have done this to their earlobes, for example. But the penis is much more complex than earlobes.

The Penis Is Complex
The penis has a deep, important function. It has to go from flaccid to erect; it has to urine; it has to give you pleasure; and most importantly, it has to discharge semen so you can pass on your genes (although, many men will argue that the former is the more important). Regardless, your penis is much more complex than your earlobes. The earlobes have no biological function and are largely just made of fat tissue. The penis, on the other hand, is made of several different tissues that are essential to the proper functioning of the penis. If you damage these tissues then the penis won't work--period.

Penile Exercising is Healthy
With that in mind, how do penile exercises enlarge the penis without doing any damage to it? Stretching your earlobe clearly damages it, so why is the penis different? We know that penile exercising doesn't damage the penis because thousands of men report that it makes their erections stronger and harder--a clear indication that penile exercising is healthy. In fact, I did a penis enlargement survey of nearly 1000 penile exercisers in the summer of 2005, and the majority of men reported stronger and harder erections due to penis enlargement exercises. Less than 1 percent of men reported weaker erections (and these few men were overtraining, I would presume).

All of this evidence brings about more questions. How is this possible? How does stretching and squeezing the penis not only cause it to enlarge, but also makes the penis healthier? For over a year, these questions racked my brain like the fact that Britney Spears married K-Fed (really, what was she thinking? . . . . or on second thought, what the hell was he thinking?). In any event, there was only one type of tissue that I knew of that could enlarge, harden, and become healthier with exercise--and that's muscle.

Science truly is mysterious. Even scientific facts aren't always fact. But like many scientists, I follow the evidence, at least to the best of my abilities, to wherever it takes me. . . And I was awestruck when I found my answer. . . .

The Penis: Half Muscle
I was rather dumbfounded when I learned that the penis truly is a muscle -- not completely muscle, and not a normal muscle -- but approximately 50 percent smooth muscle. Now don't get me wrong, smooth muscle is distinctly different than skeletal muscle, but it's still muscle. And the penis is made of half of it. In February in 2004, the Journal of Urology reported the amount of penile smooth muscle in the article, Sildenafil preserves intracorporeal smooth muscle after radical retropubic prostatectomy. Here is a segment of the authors' findings:

The article above confirms that the penis is in fact part muscle. For more confirmation, see the references located at the end of this article.

But what exactly is smooth muscle? And more importantly, what's its role in the penis?

Healthy Smooth Muscle is Essential for Healthy Erections
Smooth muscle is extremely important for vital erections. As the Journal of Urology article above noted:

To that end, the health of your penis muscle literally defines the health of your erections! This is well documented in another article by Dr. George J. Christ, which was published in The Urologic Clinics of North America: The penis as a vascular organ: The importance of corporal smooth muscle tone in the control of erection.Here is what Dr. Christ had to say about the penis's smooth muscle:

In his article, Christ went over (in detail, down to the chemistry) the smooth muscle's role in the penis. The bottom line: smooth muscle is very, very important for proper erections. The smooth muscle causes an erection (which is set off through chemical reactions) by completely relaxing. An erection cannot take place if the smooth muscle cannot completely relax. . . . Accordingly, the smooth muscle is not only important for an erection; it is the erection!

Penis Smooth Muscle and Penile Exercising
How does smooth muscle tie into penile exercising?Well, considering the fact that penile exercising makes erections stronger, harder, and longer-lasting, it would make sense that penile exercising either creates more smooth muscle cells (it could theoretically cause the smooth muscles cells to grow, but in talks with several doctors on the subject, they agree that cell multiplication is most likely). Furthermore, for the penis to enlarge, the smooth muscle must enlarge too.

Also, because the penis is compromised of 50 percent smooth muscle, and smooth muscle has a lot of the basic properties of skeletal muscle, we can presume that smooth muscle might react to stress the same way normal muscle does. Which is a no brainer! What are guys who "PE" doing? They're Exercising!

Indeed, the penis is an extraordinary organ that has captured our attention since we were little boys. And penile exercising is an extraordinary process. No one is for certain how penis enlargement works, but it is probably much more simple than we think.

By taking conventional wisdom (we know that muscle grows due to exercise) and comparing it to scientific facts (the penis is 50 percent smooth muscle and smooth muscle also grows due to stress) we can theorize that the smooth muscle of the penis plays some role in penis enlargement - I'm not sure how much, or how little, but at least some role.

References and Further Reading
  • Andersson, K. E., and G. Wagner. Physiology of Penile Erection. Physiolgocal Reviews. Vol. 75 (1995), pp 191-236.
  • Berk, Bradford C. “Vascular Smooth Muscle Growth: Autocrine Growth Mechanisms.” Physiological Reviews. Vol. 81 (2001), No. 3, pp. 999-1030.
  • Christ, George J. “The Penis as a Vascular OrganUrologic Clinics of North America. Vol. 22 (1995), No. 4, pp. 727-745.
  • DiSanto, Michael, et al. "Expression of Myosin Isoforms in Smooth Muscle Cells in the Corpus Cavernosum." American Journal of Physiology: Cell Physiology. Vol. 275 (1998), No. 4, pp. 976-987.
  • Dorey, Grace. Pelvic Floor Exercises for Erectile Dysfunction. London: Whurr, 2004.
  • Kiviat, M. D., et al. “Smooth Muscle Regeneration in the Ureter. Electron microscopic and autoradiographic observations.” American Journal of Pathology. Vol. 72 (1973), No. 3, pp. 403-416.
  • Kemmer, Aaron. "Exercising the Penis: How to Make Your Most Prized Organ Bigger, Harder & Healthier (Penis Enlargement)." San Fransisco: Semprove, 2008.
  • The Penis Enlargement Gym: Original article, The Penis Is a Muscle!
  • Scwartz, E. J., et al. “Sildenafil Preserves Intracorporeal Smooth Muscle After Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy.” Clinical Urology. Volume 171(2), February 2004, pp. 771-774.
  • Wikipedia: Smooth Muscle.

Very interesting post.:wink: Thanks a lot. I learned something.

Yes, the penis is part muscle (smooth, that is)

Here is an anatomical drawing of the penis. As you can see, the penis is much more than what's obvious on immediate superficial viewing.

C2697722-45F6-47D6-862F-198AB29BD9CE.jpeg

The penis stays anchored inside the body because of muscles and ligaments which are part of the penis.

I believe that the tear theory is closest. Jelqing causes microtears in the tunica itself which then create scar tissue in the tunica causing it to enlarge inside and thus allowing the corpus tissue to expand to a greater degree.

The smooth muscles, which are extensions of those in the abdomen, are found throughout the penis including the glans.

Anatomy of the Human Penis: The Relationship of the Architecture Between Skeletal and Smooth Muscles

Abstract:
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica] To investigate the anatomy of the ischiocavernosus muscle, bulbospongiosus muscle, and tunica albuginea and to determine their relationships to smooth muscle, which is a key element of penile sinusoids, we performed cadaveric dissection and histologic examinations of 35 adult human male cadavers. The tunica of the corpora cavernosa is a bilayered structure that can be divided into an inner circular layer and an outer longitudinal layer. The outer longitudinal layer is an incomplete coat that is absent between the 5-o'clock and 7-o'clock positions where 2 triangular ligamentous structures form. These structures, termed the ventral thickening, are a continuation of the anterior fibers of the left and right bulbospongiosus muscles. On the dorsal aspect, between the 1-o'clock and 11-o'clock positions, is a region called the dorsal thickening, a radiating aspect of the bilateral ischiocavernosus muscles. In the corpora cavernosa, skeletal muscle contains and supports smooth muscle, which is an essential element in the sinusoids. This relationship plays an important part in the blood vessels' ability to supply the blood to meet the requirements for erection, whereas in the corpus spongiosum, skeletal muscle partially entraps the smooth muscle to allow ejaculation when erect. In the glans penis, however, the distal ligament, a continuation of the outer longitudinal layer of the tunica, is arranged centrally and acts as a trunk of the glans penis. Without this strong ligament, the glans would be too weak to bear the buckling pressure generated during coitus. A significant difference exists in the thickness of the dorsal thickening, the ventral thickening, and the distal ligament between the potent and impotent groups (P http://www.andrologyjournal.org/math/le.gif .01). Together, the anatomic relationships between skeletal muscle and smooth muscle within the human penis explain many physiologic phenomena, such as erection, ejaculation, the intracavernous pressure surge during ejaculation, and the pull-back force against the glans penis during anal constriction. This improvement in the modeling of the anatomic-physiologic relationship between these structures has clinical implications for penile surgeries. -Journal of Andrology May/June 2004
[/FONT]​

remek

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Good find, Jason.

Very interesting post.:wink: Thanks a lot. I learned something.

Then that's all that matters!

To those who said "the penis isn't a muscle," I probably should have started off this thread better.

First sentence should read: "Or at least half muscle."

radicaldick

Experimental Member
Media
that is not correct. there are "smooth muscles" around the blood chambers.

this is ridiculous....what are you implying...that the penis can be exercised like skeletal muscle and increased in size? do you even know what smooth muscle is? your veins and organs contain smooth muscle... it is non-striated. the only muscle that you could possibly argue could have anything to do with penis movement(notice i did not say enlargement) would be at the base where it attaches to the pubic bone, along with ligaments. PE is a waste of time-give it up, get a life, and be happy with the cock you were born with.

Then perhaps Making It Bigger is a forum you should skip since it holds no information of value for you?

Did you not see the brief anatomy lesson previously posted?

Nobody is claiming that the smooth muscles in the penis can be worked like striated muscles. What they are claiming is that the smooth muscle tissue can be made to grow post-puberty and that by expanding those tissues the spongy tissue has room to grow as well.

Now please let us know what gives you the credentials to refute findings found in peer-reviewed medical journals and what contradictory peer-reviewed published studies you are citing.

As I have often pointed out. There has been precisely ONE medical study done on PE and guess what they found? They found it worked. If you know of any others then please edify us.

Otherwise don't make claims you can't back and don't troll this forum.

this is ridiculous....what are you implying...that the penis can be exercised like skeletal muscle and increased in size? do you even know what smooth muscle is? your veins and organs contain smooth muscle... it is non-striated. the only muscle that you could possibly argue could have anything to do with penis movement(notice i did not say enlargement) would be at the base where it attaches to the pubic bone, along with ligaments. PE is a waste of time-give it up, get a life, and be happy with the cock you were born with.

radicaldick

Experimental Member
Media
Then perhaps Making It Bigger is a forum you should skip since it holds no information of value for you?

Did you not see the brief anatomy lesson previously posted?

Nobody is claiming that the smooth muscles in the penis can be worked like striated muscles. What they are claiming is that the smooth muscle tissue can be made to grow post-puberty and that by expanding those tissues the spongy tissue has room to grow as well.

Now please let us know what gives you the credentials to refute findings found in peer-reviewed medical journals and what contradictory peer-reviewed published studies you are citing.

As I have often pointed out. There has been precisely ONE medical study done on PE and guess what they found? They found it worked. If you know of any others then please edify us.

Otherwise don't make claims you can't back and don't troll this forum.

there are exactly zero objective medical studies that show any form of PE provides permanent gains..and no reputable doctor endorses any of the methods...now carry on in your little fantasy world and hope you don't go impotent from attempting to ruin your dick.

btw...not trolling, the title of this thread caught my eye because it was so utterly ridiculous, i felt compelled to post.....so i guess my blood vessels are muscles and so is my kidney...they both contain smooth muscle tissue....

None? As I thought. Go back to your cave troll.

In 1975 the first, and so far, only trial of PE was carried out be Brian Richards, MD,
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Science, Fellow of the Royal Academy, Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine in the UK (in other words, a real physician). The results were published in the British Journal of Sexual Medicine that year. Dr. Richards experiment lasted 3 months, consisted of a tiny random sample size of 64 of which 32 were a control. Of the 32 men involved pro-actively in the trial, 2 dropped out and 2 gained nothing. The remaining 28 gained between 0.94" and 1.4" inches in length and .55" and 1.2" in girth, a success rate of 87.5%.

So far, nobody else has published anything else on the subject.

radicaldick

Experimental Member
Media
None? As I thought. Go back to your cave troll.

In 1975 the first, and so far, only trial of PE was carried out be Brian Richards, MD,
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Science, Fellow of the Royal Academy, Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine in the UK (in other words, a real physician). The results were published in the British Journal of Sexual Medicine that year. Dr. Richards experiment lasted 3 months, consisted of a tiny random sample size of 64 of which 32 were a control. Of the 32 men involved pro-actively in the trial, 2 dropped out and 2 gained nothing. The remaining 28 gained between 0.94" and 1.4" inches in length and .55" and 1.2" in girth, a success rate of 87.5%.

please...u googled and found one obscure study...and this validates that PE is safe and effective for enlarging your penis? knock your socks off brother.