The People Have Spoken!

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well yes, but in terms of the consequences and severity of the other laws being broken in the US, and elsewhere I'd say immigration laws are, in comparison, small potatoes.
I've made no claims as to which laws are more important. Whether immigration laws are important rather depends on whether you think the United States is, or is not, a country. A country without any control of its borders isn't a country, it's a road.
In the absence of a channel at the border marked criminal foreigners and another marked law abiding foreigners, that argument seems somewhat redundant.

Certainly, committing an illegal act is perhaps not the best start in a new home but as a neighbour I'd prefer an otherwise law abiding 'illegal' than a native citizen cum axe murderer/rapist/childmolester.
It's not that difficult. Illegal immigrants are, prima facie, criminals. Legal immigrants may or may not be criminals, but at least they don't automatically start out as criminals as their first action on entering the U.S. They may immediately embark on crime sprees after legal arrival, but that's not really the point at issue. Nobody has postulated that murderers, rapists, embezzlers, etc. are not criminals or that they shouldn't be handled by our ponderous law enforcement machinery.
I recall saying that if a nation has immigration laws they should be enforced, fairly and firmly. The problem is by and large it's evident that they're not. Whether that's because they can't be, because it's inconvenient, or because actually, it's recognised they are simply unenforceable, perhaps even to some degree undesirable. That seems a better question.
If there was actually some consensus that they should be enforced, perhaps they would be. We don't seem to have that consensus.
As for those celebrating, enjoy it while you can...:rolleyes:
I imagine you say much the same thing after a terrorist attack is foiled.

No victory is permanent. That doesn't imply that it is not, after all, a victory.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When a cause backed by conservatives prevails, its "...the people have spoken."

Anything else: "...a defeat for America and a victory for special interests."

But as the conservatives saddle up for a self-rightous prance around the capitol dome, remember that this might prove a hollow victory in the long run. Penny wise and pound foolish. The racism evident in so many debates about immigration will likely only serve to anger Hispanics, a group that once might have been a fertile growth area for Republicans.

That's all this is about anyway. Votes, and cheap labor. Nobody in our government gives a rat's tail about racism, immigration, Hispanics, or you and I. It's all politics...meaning, money, and power. It's always been this way and always will be. The shrunken heads will remain in power.

ucjohn8

Just Browsing
Media
The illegals are here as cheap labor for wealthy people. The poor do not hire people, they do their own work. If the illegals were not here the wealthy would have to pay people what it is worth to do the dirty work. The legal people in the U.S. would earn alot more. The wealthy are not worried about costs going up as much as they're worried about proffits going down, or having to do some work them selves.
The whole world is overpopulated. The U.S. doesn't have to be. When I die I want to leave what I have to my family, and that goes for my country also. I don't want to leave my country to the children of illegals. I don't think that future generation should have to compete with the children of illegals. The U.S. is ours for our betterment and the good of our children. We shouldn't be giving it away.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whether immigration laws are important rather depends on whether you think the United States is, or is not, a country. A country without any control of its borders isn't a country, it's a road.

I think I already said that. A law is, in real terms as important, and thus enforeable as it is considered to be by those who are tasked to enforce it, as to those subject to it.

It's not that difficult. Illegal immigrants are, prima facie, criminals. Legal immigrants may or may not be criminals, but at least they don't automatically start out as criminals as their first action on entering the U.S.

I said that too:

"Certainly, committing an illegal act is perhaps not the best start in a new home but as a neighbour I'd prefer an otherwise law abiding 'illegal' than a native citizen cum axe murderer/rapist/childmolester."

They may immediately embark on crime sprees after legal arrival, but that's not really the point at issue. Nobody has postulated that murderers, rapists, embezzlers, etc. are not criminals or that they shouldn't be handled by our ponderous law enforcement machinery.

Of course not, but then as I don't recall saying otherwise I'm not sure of your point.

As for the point. I think that's almost entirely the point, at least based on some of arguments I've read on this topic. The underlying implication that illegal immigrants (I'm referring to those form south of the the border) are somehow moral defectives by definition, appeared quite evident, if sometimes veiled. Not (so far) in this thread especially, but in others.

It's entirely unclear how you feel about illegal immigration beyond deeming it illegal.

If there was actually some consensus that they should be enforced, perhaps they would be. We don't seem to have that consensus.

Very true. Here too. But then I think I said that too, here and elsewhere.

No victory is permanent. That doesn't imply that it is not, after all, a victory.

Depending on what side you're on of course. But I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean in the context of this bill however. Certainly it's not a victory, or a defeat for me as such, I have no vote in the matter, I'm just an interested observer.

Alternatively, if you've gone a bit tangental then yes, today's events in London reflect, so it appears so far, a victory for law enforement and thus for innocent civilians, much like myself. Being neither a terrorist nor craving involuntary immolation I'm naturally very happy about that.

I imagine you say much the same thing after a terrorist attack is foiled.

Actually, based on your earlier comments on that theme I think that may be more your bag. Amateur psychology isn't your thing is it? :rolleyes:

B_ironsoul

Experimental Member
Media
I listen to talk radio a lot, and I really think a whole hell of a lot that area of media helped make this happen. They really broke everything down so clearly, and told listeners who to call to make their opinions heard. AM radio is such a hidden treasure, I really wish more people would partake in it.
Now, of course, our wonderful leaders are trying to shut AM radio down. WTF.

ripsrips

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm not a conservative or republican, I'm a registered democrat who is against big government and giving away all our $$$$ to social programs and against higher taxes to pay for programs. I'm personally against abortion (but everybody makes there own choice).
I have almost always voted democratic.

My grandparents on both sides came from mexico the legal way back in the teens & 20's.
I'm 100% for building the border fence and keeping limits on entry to this great country and allowing those from any country who will ad something to society and not just letting in the poorest of the poor and the uneducated. I don't care what country they're from and if it means that my produce goes up a little so be it.

So am I a racist...NO! if we are are a nation of laws we must enforce them...better late than never.

I've thought long and hard on this and no longer will I vote because of a party, only those who have the same principals.
Here in Calif. Sen. Boxer & Feinstein have lost my vote!

PussyWellington

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You won't need new immigration laws once the North American Union is in place. Think it can't happen, look at Europe. Canada, U.S.A and Mexico with the Amero as the currency.

You don't have to dig too hard to find it covered in the media, even Fox has run a few stories.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A "North American Union" wouldn't solve the immigration "problem". It would only move the boundary to the south.