The Perfect Church-Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by 9j6p9, Apr 7, 2007.

1. 9j6p9

9j6p9 New Member

:confused: I'm taking a poll - and since some of the most honest people I know of (or so I think:cool: ) seem to congregate here at the lpsg water cooler and urinal, (whatever), I'll start here, and direct my question to the guys: Let's say you were looking for a church that met your needs for the place you're at right now, what would it be like? What keeps you from finding one (besides the presence of the ubiquitous and fabled "hypocrite")? I'm truly curious, as matters of faith:rolleyes: have crept into more than one instant messaging conversation I have had at this site. I'm not publishing this, just wondering where some of my fellow lpsg members might be in relation to this issue. Thanks again for your honesty:smile:

2. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is about a poll and you didn't create one? And it's about religion.

You're a bold one. :x lol

3. Freddie53

Gold Member

I go to church. So I might not be the best to answer the question but here is my short list of what the perfect church should have;

1. Priesthood of the believer. These is a fancy term that means that each person is his own priest and can access God without anyone intervening for him. It also means that the individual and God work out what is best for the individual. It is about each person has their own relationship to God. It is not my place to question someone else's relationship to God. Each person works out his life with God. The church doesn't decide for the member what is best for that member.

2. True love. Each member should be supporting each other regardless of what shortcomings each member has. The members should really love one another as God loves us.

3. Hypocrites aren't allowed to take over. Hypocrites are in every church. We all can be hypocritical at times. The key is not to let hyporcrites or hypocritical thinking take over the church.

4. Open Communion and Open Baptism in a Christian church. It is God's table not ours. The church only provides for the table. It is not the church's place to decide who is worthy to take communion and who isn't. Same with Baptism. If a person has been baptized and is happy with it, the church shouldn't require a second baptism just because it wasn't first done "in their church."

5. A liberal attitude. By this I mean the members are acutely aware that their beliefs and opinions on religion are open to debate and every position just might be right and it might be WRONG. We do will with the right part. People don't handle the part where they might be WRONG very well.

6. Mission minded. Taking care of the poor, the bereaved, those in need. Those that the rest of society has condemned are welcome in this perfect church.

7. Church recognizes that it is a faith journey for all of us. We will all get there if we keep traveling, but the road does get difficult and some are further down the road then others.

8. A belief that God is still in charge and in the end, peace and harmony will prevail. Those who didn't get a fair shake here on earth will get one in the next life. That God is still creating and the time will come when there is nothing but good and mercy. Evil and suffering will someday come to an end. It might be in heaven instead of here on earth for some, But that day will come.

9. This should have been first. My perfect church recognizes that God loves us more than we can possibly love ourselves.

10. All people are imperfect and ALL PEOPLE can be brought into a perfect relationship with God. It is a choice. God will not force anyone to do anything.

11. The writers in the Old Testament use the punishments in their writing poetically. There are consequences for our mistakes. That doesn't mean that God ordains that we suffer. It is a case where if I drive 100 miles around a curve while drunk that has a 15 mph warning, I will crash and probably die. This is a consequence of my own mistake, not a punishment from God.

I wrote this as I thought them. There not perfect and if I had a week or two to really hash them out I could do a better job.

The bottom line is: Does your perfect church have a God that is redeeming his people and bringing them to a better life or world or does your church have a God that is punishing his people because they are so horrible.

I can go to a less than perfect church. But I just can't stomach the churches that are preaching about the wrath of God and how he is out to get us all. If that church is the only one available, I will stay at home.

4. Adrian69702006

Gold Member

Well this is a tall order! As a bell ringer I think my main criteria would be a decent ring of bells of a good weight and an active band of ringers.

That to one side, the things which I value are:

Stately and ordered liturgy, preferably using the traditional Book of Common Prayer. Worship 'as God and Cranmer intended' as more than one person's described it.

Good music.

An intellectually rigorous engagement with both Scripture and Tradition - not forgetting Reason as well.

A willingness to give everyone space to be themselves, regardless of churchmanship, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

A social conscience and a desire to make a difference.

A Happy and Blessed Easter to everyone! :smile:

5. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Freddie summed it up pretty well.

I want
    1. fantastic music--good isn't good enough

2. good preaching--preaching about Jesus' love, not about hate, etc., but also realizing that we are sinners and sometimes need to have our toes stepped on.

3. I'm with Freddie on open communion (to all believers), but I do believe in adult baptism and that one does need to be rebaptized if they didn't come from a church which baptizes "believers"

4. a missions minded church--not only to far off lands, but as well as in the community. (supporting inner city groups, running youth clubs, offering tutoring to kids, etc.)

5. a church that values tradition, but also looks at the here and now

6. worship that brings us closer to God, because it's pure and has no agenda

7. fantastic music...did I say that already? LOL

This is just a beginning, but no church is perfect, but we can all strive to make our churches better.

6. viking1

Gold Member

The others posters pretty much said what I would. Especially about the preaching of hate rather than love. These hardcore fundamentalists who say if you do this or that you are going straight to hell. That's not exactly preaching love is it?

7. boerkie

boerkie New Member

sadly it is them hardcore hell and brimstone preachers that have all been caught with their hands in either the cookie jar or the hot dog stand!!

i used to get all fired up when i read about swaggert (TWICE!!) and that preacher up in colorado.

now he was a gay basher allright!! come to find out taking the rod to the gay community meant a totally different thing to him!! i laffed so hard !!!

8. 9j6p9

9j6p9 New Member

You folks have nailed it - the responses are good and I'm glad you've taken the time to speak up on this vital issue - now, if I might notch this conversation up just a tad. . .what can churches do to zero in on the guys to get them in the door? Sounds a little like I'm looking for a dissertation on salesmanship (I'm not), but we need to offer something.

You folks are great - as I've said before, some of the most honest and open people are here - and I appreciate all of them - so, back to the question, what's in it for the guys, who would rather be doing anything but going to church?

9. viking1

Gold Member

I would say it mostly goes back to the showing love toward everyone thing.
    Making all people feel welcome regardless of race, economic status, particular religeous beliefs, sexuality, ect. Also, make things not so boring.
    As one poster said, good music is a must. A preacher that is positive and doesn't just harp on the sinful things people are doing, or that the end time is right around the corner. Some activities that are fun and the congregation can participate in together. Most of all that members be supportive of one another...we all make mistakes and need loving help and guidance.

10. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was at an Al-Anon meeting the other night, and the subject of a Higher Power came up, as you might expect.

All 12 step programmes are spiritual, in some fashion. Which makes it kinda hard for atheists (like me) to participate--hence, the prgramme defines a "Higher Power" broadly. So broadly, that the exact phrase in the literature is "a higher power some of us choose to call God."

A fellow member used the phrase, and gave it a spin. He referred to "a higher power I choose to call love".

I think that whether or not it espoused belief in a capital-G God, I could be a happy congregant in any church which chooses, in a practical sense, to recognise love as its higher power.

Love of family, love for the planet, love for one's fellow man or woman, love of grace and beauty, and the love that unites two spirits in an intimate bond. That's truly what makes human beings moral and good. You can't be bad if, every time you face a moral question, you ask yourself, "does my answer serve love?"

Love. Live it. Preach it. Worship it, if you must.

11. Talmidge

Talmidge Active Member

Albums:
    Im trying to start up a church for the Fonz but apparently its illegal

12. sir narnian

sir narnian New Member

Good Question!! I've Visited almost all of the churches in my community, (And there are a lot) and I know that there is no perfect church. I would be content if the Body of Believers, follow the Holy Spirit, try thier best to keep God's Commandments, respect one another in faith and love, encourage one another, give the gospil of Christ to all men and women in a respectful way, try thier best to live thier lives the same way (God's Way) in and out of the church building, If i'm sinning- they will let me know lovingly, allow me to use my gifts and talants (Spiritual and phisical) to help them in thier faith and reaching out to others, and is not ashamed of the bible and what it teaches. Most importantly, they believe Jesus Christ as God's own son and is alive today.There are hypocrites in the Body of Believers I belong to. Yet I know the nonhypocrites are real. In words, actions, and deeds. That is why I do not leave the body.

Draft saved Draft deleted