The perils of a tourist resort

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DaveyR, Aug 31, 2009.

1. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

We live in a small lesser known tourist town in South Tenerife. Now the town is split into two parts and separated by a Barranco (Gorge) with it being residential on our side and commercial/touristic on the other. This works quite well usually unless the wind is on the wrong direction which it has been tonight.

Being one of the hottest months we spend most on the time outside. Sometimes I even sleep out on the terrace if it's really warm. Tonight so far I've had to listen to "Macarena" done very badly. Various Michael Jackson numbers done as flat as a pancake and 5 games of bingo announced in English, Spanish, German, French and Danish. I can't wait for the next instalment of so called entertainment. In a way it's a good sign as tourism on the Island has been so bad in recent years but for me it comes at a price.......................

Do you live in a touristic area? What are the pros and cons?

2. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    I used to live in New Hope, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. One square mile, 1400 people, 3 gay bars, 19 liquor licenses. What do you think of that ratio?? LOL. Actually it was due to the weekend population of about 30,000 visitors.

Some people didn't like the bar crowd pissing in their bushes at 2:00am, but if they were hot guys I didn't mind. :)

The worst things for me were the traffic (can't get or out of your own driveway sometimes) and rowdy people screaming on the street early in the morning, drunk as they leave the bars while you're trying to sleep.

The rest of living in New Hope was great. Would love to go back. What a gorgeous little town and I was right on the Delaware River. When I showed pictures to my realtor when I moved here, she said "I'll just slit my wrists right now. We don't have views like that in Dallas." Unfortunately, she was right.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The biggest drawback here in NY are people visiting from the UK and NJ asking for directions to Tavern On The Green! All in all it does not sound so bad where you live. In Hawaii the biggest drawback are stupid Haole people.

4. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I'd call that a plus :banana: Anything beats what we have had to listen to tonight.

5. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

BITCH :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted