The pesky one percent

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What do you do with it?

If you're 99% sure you're up to a happy relationship, and with a great guy, but there remains that pesky 1% of doubt? Do you reason with yourself until it goes away? Ignore it? Pay attention to it? Do you drench it in alcohol?

Today's my last week on the job, the last four days really since FRI is reserved for my farewell party. I'm packing my belongings, I have arranged transportation (moving is a little difficult if you have a truck, your car, and your fun car). But I can't get rid of that percent. Maybe I just have to kill it.

D_BobN_Weave

Experimental Member
Media
my gf told me there is a pesky 1% about our relationship!!! she is from a divorced family and she says thats probably why......but geez.....if in 3 years i havent shown her that im 100% commited......i dunno what else i can do!

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's how you know you're serious. If you see that 1%, or 10%, or even 50%, but you're determined that goddamnit this it going to work, the chances of success go 'way up. If he's decided the same, it can't fail.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
That pesky 1% is a useful 1% that keeps you on your toes and aware.
100% would probably make you bored and complacent, and more at risk of being taken for a ride!

Cherish that 1%.

B_Kshelby67

1st Like
Media
It sounds like a lot of things are changing for you, which really makes it normal to be scared. Ignoring it and pretending it isn't there is not the answer, because it you don't address it, it can become this huge monster. Instead, think about why you went as far as you have. What has made you feel like this was a good choice so far? Perhaps if you revisit those good thoughts, the fear may subside. Any sort of change is scary. You never know till you go ahead a give it a try though. Good luck to you.

roosevelt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1% is a good thing, it keeps you realistic. Don't ignore it, but don't let it ruin the other 99%

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
99% is better than 90%. That 1% is your escape hatch err eject button - use it in case of an emergency. Many happy returns Claire. Remember to give him some MRE's and keep him warm in the foxhole.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh my, so many replies already!

E-an said:
my gf told me there is a pesky 1% about our relationship!!! she is from a divorced family and she says thats probably why......but geez.....if in 3 years i havent shown her that im 100% commited......i dunno what else i can do!

Probably nothing. If it's still around, it won't go away. But if you can live happily with it, I don't see a reason trying to get it out of her mind. Probably she needs it, same way as I do.

Big_Dirigible said:
That's how you know you're serious. If you see that 1%, or 10%, or even 50%, but you're determined that goddamnit this it going to work, the chances of success go 'way up. If he's decided the same, it can't fail.

Interesting take. Are you alluding to my sense for reality? I mean, there's always something that can go wrong, but being aware of that and actively trying to avoid it is a good thing.

Kshelby67 said:
It sounds like a lot of things are changing for you, which really makes it normal to be scared. Ignoring it and pretending it isn't there is not the answer, because it you don't address it, it can become this huge monster. Instead, think about why you went as far as you have. What has made you feel like this was a good choice so far? Perhaps if you revisit those good thoughts, the fear may subside. Any sort of change is scary. You never know till you go ahead a give it a try though. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your good luck. That's what I meant by reasoning with it, probably it won't go away then, but again I can revisit all the better aspects of a relationship and force my percent to the background.

earllogjam said:
99% is better than 90%. That 1% is your escape hatch err eject button - use it in case of an emergency. Many happy returns Claire. Remember to give him some MRE's and keep him warm in the foxhole.

Ha, foxhole? Do I look like a fuckin' infantrywoman? And MREs, I think if he has 1 % and I serve him MREs, we'll soon be at 100%. Fun aside, yeah, it is an escape hatch, but like the eject button, one bettern remembers that there's no return after you made use of it. So, keep it for the last exit.

dreamer20 said:

Thank you honey, so heartfelt from you!

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That 1% is the risk you have to carry. After all, if you aren't willing to risk things for a relationship, then how much is it worth?