The Pill

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Tantalar, May 4, 2010.

1. Tantalar

Tantalar New Member

Are there any women that oppose the use of The Pill who are sexually active?

We decided not to use it because of the known risk associated with hormonal suppression and the fact that there is no time each month to just get into that period-rage where all of her feelings can come out even if they are good or bad. We had a bad experience when she tried The Pill and it led us to believe that it would be best to just not go for it.

After we are done having children we just figured we would get one of us "fixed"

2. Fleur

Gold Member

I don't see anything wrong with using the pill...not sure what you've heard...but it's very effective at regulating a woman's cycle and preventing pregnancy.

As far as hormones go, there are low dose options that are just as effective (which I use)...

3. B_Craiggers

B_Craiggers New Member

gf doesn't use them of concern that it could affect her vocal cords (she's a singer).

4. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is no one "pill" there are many different kinds of oral contraceptive.

As for "period-rage" and PMDD (if it exists) increase calcium, which has been shown to bring down the level of prementrual emotional roller coaster.

5. nicesouthernpair

nicesouthernpair New Member

Albums:
    My wife was on the pill when she got pregnant by her boyfriend. We figured it might have been other medication that affected the birth control.

6. Fleur

Gold Member

Yes, antibiotics for one...they usually interact with certain birth controls and make them useless...you need to tell you're doctor everything you're taking...common sense.

There are several different types of oral contraceptive...just go to your doctor and talk about it.

7. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I've been on the pill for the better part of the last 15 years, minus a few years to try to conceive, but i know what you mean about the hormone PMS thing. I have endometriosis and my doctor Rx'd me to take the pill without ever taking any days off of the active hormone pills. So i don't have periods anymore, i havent had them for many years. If i were to take a few days off of the pill i would start my period. Well i'd have to be off of it probably more like 7 to 10 days before the progesterone levels dropped enough to allow for a period.

I dont get all of the PMS symptoms, especially the horrible migraines i used to. It's been a very good option for me and hasnt interfered with my libido at all. I've been on many different types of pills over the years but none of them have worked as well as Seasonale.

8. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    The pill can increase the chances of cancer, heart disease, and strokes. Some women also find that it negatively affects their sex drive.

When I was on the pill, my sex drive was reduced and I chose to stop taking it.

9. dolfette

Gold Member

some brands of the pill give me raging PMS for my entire cycle.
    most kill my willingness to shag.

but i'm not opposed to it's use. that would be stupid, because it works so well for so many. i just choose not to use it myself.

10. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    There's a contraceptive that is common in third world countries that seems to be unknown here in the U.S. Using a special instrument, they insert a few tiny rods into a woman's upper arm. For one year, they gradually release a hormone that prevents pregnancy. Apparently it's very effective and there is nothing more that has to be done for one year once the rods have been inserted. I don't know why that method is not available here; there may or may not be a good reason.

11. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    It's been here in the US for at least 15 years. I have several friends who have used it. It contains the same hormones as the pill.

It has some unusual side effects for some women. Some women experience menstrual periods that last for months, and it doesn't release the hormones at a regular rate, so immediately after the rods have been injected the hormone levels released are extremely high. The women I know who liked it enjoyed it for the convenience, but I was too concerned over the levels of hormones released to try it myself.

#11 petite, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  12. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Personally I use the lowest dose BC pill it's great for ME, no PMSing and mother nature is pretty much non-existent... makes for a happy girl all around. The implants are rare here for some reason and I hate the idea of an IUD though a lot of women use them they can move and cause problems and you have to have it surgically removed. I'll stick with the low dose pill and condoms until I decide to have kids one day.

13. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm on Yaz. I'm having the most agressive PMS, and highest sex drive of my life. I'm angry, and I want to fuck. Weird. I have PCOS, and the pill and a few other meds are regulating my cycle so that I can conceive when I'm ready. I just have to keep telling my body I'm not ready right now.

14. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

PCOS is one of the hardest things to manage, and its one thing to manage it when you arent trying to get pregnant. But trying to conceive with PCOS has to be the most frustrating thing.

15. kit_kat

kit_kat New Member

I read that it reduces a woman's sex drive and sometimes permanently. I can't take that risk.
    You know I bet this probably contributes to the reason some people stop having sex when they get married - they take an AIDS test, then the woman goes on the pill and that's the end of sex. The way the pill works is that you just don't have sex anymore.

16. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Personally i think relationships have a lot more to do with why sex stops after settling with someone. But the pill is known to decrease sex drives, but there are also a lot of pill babies being born so there is some sex going on.

The pill is less likely to cause any permanent damage since the halflife of each pill is roughly 24 hours. It doesn't stay in your system for very long which is why it is needed every day in order to work.

The long term hormonal injections such as Depo-Provera is a progesterone substance that is not capable of releasing a daily dose of birthcontrol, its one large amount (90 days worth) given at one time, and that can permanently cause your ovaries to stop ovulating and getting pregnant can take years after only one injection because of its potency.

Of course it also matters what pill you are on, just because it is staving off your period for 21-28 days at a time doesnt mean its the right pill for you. Sometimes you have to try out different ones and mix and match what works and having a good Gynecologist makes all the difference. For example, when i was 16 i began having low estrogen, i was on a low estrogen pill which worked well to make me not have cramps during my period but the hotflashes were miserable, so my gyne put me on an estrogen patch to wear. The hotflashes stopped and the painless periods were worth the low estrogen pill.

The high estrogen pill i was on later as an adult made me have a lot of cramping throughout my cycle and didnt help much with the hot flashes, genitourinary problems from low estrogen. My doctor changed me to a vaginal estrogen ring that i wear for 90 days (it releases estrogen daily to the area that needs it the most without having to cross the liver and have an increased breast cancer possibility) so im on Seasonale, which is a pill you take for 91 days without a break and you can have 4 periods a year. I don't ever take the break so my periods are no longer around. It's a chemical menopause.

But if someone is worried about the hormones, i'd suggest spermicide and pulling out if condoms arent wanted. I think spermicide combined with pulling out is about as effective as the pill when you count how many errors can be made in the daily use of it.

It's hard to get a hold of a diaphragm or a cervical cap anymore, i think Today's Sponge is back on the market as well. All of them have failure rates and anything is better than nothing when it comes to using birthcontrol.

#16 B_Mademoiselle Rouge, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  17. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I don't understand that! I tried to get a diaphragm or a cervical cap for years! I asked every single time I saw a gynecologist! That drives me nuts. You can put it in hours before you have sex and you use it with a spermicide. It just seems so ideal!

Why can't we get them anymore?

18. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I think the sexual needs of people have changed since the diaphragm was introduced. People were happy to get anything as far as birth control goes and the pill has gotten so popular along with other option such as the new IUD's, cool new condoms made to be more pleasurable for women and the depo shot.

There is also a younger crowd of people using birth control and i think the diaphragm wasnt a convenient on the go option. The young generation would feel silly pulling a diaphragm out of her purse.

The diaphragm and cap require a woman to be ok with digging around in her vagina to put it in and take it out. Many women hate the idea of that. I also believe that since there is not a market for them much anymore than they have gone out of manufacturing. I remember seeing some special diaphragm on the market years ago online that looked much easier to use.

My mom told me that a long time ago you couldnt get a diaphragm unless you were married. Times sure have changed! Also, the diaphragm must be refitted after giving birth, they are pretty pricey to have to do that.

I had a really hard time when the Gyne was trying to fit me for one, she practically pulled my guts out digging around in there to see if their smallest one would be comfortable.

19. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Norplant was withdrawn by the manufacturer after being sued, for not telling users of side effects. And later there was a product quality concern. It was/is used in the 3rd world a lot because US AID had a contract for it to be produced. It provided birthcontrol for 5years.

There is a new version that uses just 2 instead of 6 little rods. One thing I've always seen as offputting to a potential user is you can see the little rods below the skin. Although a small surgical procedure to have 5 yrs of birth control would be a strong positive to outweigh the cosmetic negative.

20. Tantalar

Tantalar New Member

pull out OWNS... unless you are a dumb ass and don't pee multiple times before having sex again. Most people are not intelligent enough to understand this simple concept.

Draft saved Draft deleted