The POOR shouldn't be able to vote.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Industrialsize, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd comment on this guy but words fail me:

Columnist: Registering Poor To Vote 'Like Handing Out Burglary Tools To Criminals'

Conservative columnist Matthew Vadum is just going to come right out and say it: registering the poor to vote is un-American and "like handing out burglary tools to criminals."

"Encouraging those who burden society to participate in elections isn't about helping the poor," Vadum writes. "It's about helping the poor to help themselves to others' money. It's about raw so-called social justice. It's about moving America ever farther away from the small-government ideals of the Founding Fathers."

Columnist: Registering Poor To Vote 'Like Handing Out Burglary Tools To Criminals' | TPMMuckraker

2. hsarge

Gold Member

'with liberty and justice for ALL'

3. MickeyLee

Gold Member

*blink*
    my ears just started bleeding... that's bad, right?

4. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    A truly astonishing article. And the reader comments are even more amazing.

The lack of communal spirit for one's fellow man, and the god-like status conferred on anyone or anything representative of "lots of money" is breathtaking, heartbreaking, and sad.

One of an incredible number of mind-boggling comments:

"syrin23 Yesterday 11:13 AM
    I agree completely with this article and have a simple solution to fix it.

Every person's vote is weighted according to how much they paid in taxes. Everyone gets a default value of one. So of that evil CEO paid $750,000 in taxes, [SIZE="3"[COLOR="Black"]]his vote would be the equivalent of 750,000 voters who paid nothing
    [/SIZE]. No skin in the game, no say is how the real world works, but we would give them a small say. (Non-shareholders get NO votes in the dealings of a business). This would be "fair" and serve "justice" as those footing the bill would have the biggest say in what is done with THEIR money."[/COLOR] [emphasis added]

Would it help if it was pointed out to this guy that immensely wealthy people/corporations already have a gigantic say in what is done with their money? In particular, they direct those in political office to do things to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. So, syrin23, your "solution" would only hasten a process that's been in place a loooong time.

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    You were lucky. My head exploded:

Attached Files:

6. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

You gave him what he wanted. By reading his material, and expressing outrage, you raised the number of people who read his comments. It keeps him employed, and brings in big bucks to his bank account. Rush Limbaugh plays the public for the fools in his broacast range. They prove they are fools by listening to him, and he cries all the way to the bank. Cries to the tune of millions. Yes folks, all those who hate him make him very very wealthy.

7. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nifty philosophical trap. Don't read it. Don't be outraged. Just let him go on pandering to his sheep without calling them all out as the greedy, heartless jerks that they are.

Sorry, Rush and his ilk don't make money or get airplay off my back. But I'll continue to call out horseshit whenever it's lying in my path.

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    This line of thinking in the inevitable byproduct of Teabaggery. It makes me fret about my country more than anything else. When oh when will the Culture Wars end?

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw the title and don't even know where to begin with a reply, lol.
    Don't think I'll read it. :p

10. umami_tsunami

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As long as the teabagger troglodytes are breathing in the zenite gas from Rush and douchebags like this, we will be forced to live in the rarified cloud of LPSG intelligentsia. Where's McCoy when you need him!?

11. D_Bob_Crotchitch

You can call it out all you want but if you read their columns, you are indeed helping them out. There are counters that show the number of hits their sites have received. Those hits translate into money.

12. D_Bob_Crotchitch

Blaming this nonsense on the teabaggers is nonsense itself. It is like blaming every kind of leftist insanity on liberals. The Supreme Court would never allow such voting restriction. They overturned the poll tax because it kept poor people from voting.
    I do think you must have a government issued ID to vote. I saw people voting that I knew were not citizens. I knew this information through my job. The right to privacy act prevented me from saying anything.
    I do think that people should be able to pass a basic questionnaire on how the government operates. This nation was founded by people who did not want to be ruled by a king. Yet, ignorant people think the presidency holds such powers, and credit all the good/bad to the president in power at the moment. They do not grasp that only Congress can levy taxes, and appropriate funds. They do not realize that the federal judiciary does not have the constitutional power to legislate from the bench. It is pure stupidity.

13. sargon20

Gold Member

14. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Originally only white, male, landowners could vote in this country.

15. alteclan2307

alteclan2307 Member

Albums:
    Only war brings America together it seems. SilverTrain seems to be correct, the only way anyone feels pain in this country is through their wallet. All my knowledge of things like this comes second hand, that way i remove myself from any type of revenue generating statistic. It's not a cure all and i maybe be plugging into the machine at some other point but it helps me sleep at night and right now, that's all that matters

16. Hornycocky

Hornycocky New Member

Albums:
    It sounds like syrin23's comment was supposed to be taken sarcastically..well i hope so.

17. ripsrips

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Why is it that you liberals curse the rich?
    Those are the very same people that created just about everything you own, your car, computer, cell phone, refrigerator, TV, clothes...everything you own and eat!
    If you use any of these and still call them out...YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE!
    If you really hate the rich go live off the earth 100%...you wouldn't survive...PERIOD!
    You should THANK them for all the comforts you enjoy...and SHUT THE FUCK UP!

18. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    No one's cursing the rich here. We're cursing those who indiscriminately curse the poor. Cursing those who disingenuously portray the poor as clever manipulators of the system--they who so ingeniously have become impoverished so as to "steal" from the system by not paying their share of taxes.

We'll save "it's rich people who invented everything" for a later day. :rolleyes:

Good lord what a douche.

19. Thedrewbert

Thedrewbert Member

Albums:
    The Republicans have finally narrowed down what they really want in this country: 1 dollar = 1 vote.

And to ripsrips above, two replies:

When has raising taxes ever created JOBS? - Hover Dam, Interstate highways system, transcontinental railroad, the GI bill... etc, etc.

Tax cuts are "NOT" government spending! It's your money not theirs! - When taxes are cut in a time when the government is running a deficit, then those who receive the tax cut are being subsidized by the rest of us. Their tax cut goes on the U.S. Mastercard that we ALL have to pay.

20. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

Obviously, I find the remarks disgusting and the comments on the article even worse (if that's possible, good Christ, what a heartless SOB). But here's what I will say in its defense:

At least this soulless example of materialistic extremes is honest and up front about it; Fuck the poor. That's what this guy is saying. The difference is that there's no question that's what he's saying. There isn't any nuance, there isn't any equivocation, and there isn't room for semantic distinctions. He doesn't like the poor for the fact that he has no empathy for their situation and status in life.

The thing is? He's not the only one. In fact he's not even in a minority opinion with that stance. The difference between this jack ass and certain members of Congress is that he's flat saying it without dressing up this turd of a perspective with lip stick and a pretty dress so as to deceive the general public into thinking it's something else.

The article is disgusting, the comments are downright inhumane, and the outrage is a necessary and warranted reaction. But for having the balls to flat out say what so many of his compatriots think you have to give him some snaps. Yeah, you're a monster, but the monster we can see and hear is so much better than the one waiting under the bridge or the other one hiding out in the tall grass.

JSZ

#20 D_Percy_Prettywillie, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted