The Potato, Give Me Some Ideas

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Par boil peeled, cubed potatoes in salted water with a quartered lemon until they have a little give when pricked with a fork.

Drain really well and discard the lemon and pat dry with paper kitchen towel.
Spread out onto a cookie sheet and place into preheated oven until the surfaces are completely dry.
Mean while place a roasting tin on the burner and melt duck fat until it starts to ping and spit.
Dump dry par boiled potatoes into the fat and coat them well.
Roast in a hot oven until golden and drain and reserve the fat for next time.

Adding the lemon to the par boiling stage gives the potatoes a wonderful tang.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Take a look at the recipe thread I've posted, gratin potato, scalloped potatoes, potato pancakes, potato salad... of none of that floats your boat I'll look through my recipe file.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I love Mr. Potato Head, sorry flashback to childhood. But I'm getting bored with my uses of the mighty potato in my dishes.

I would like some new ideas / recipes.

I like to cut them up and fry them in corn oil.

Potatos cut up about 1/4". (cut pototo in to 4 pieces long way ) should look like this I Can't Fry Potatoes | Forkbastard
little bit of garlic salt on them

then fry them

Some ketchup on them when done

You need a cast iron pan to cook them right though

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
In Finland they make many potato casseroles. Some of the most famous are Liver Casserole and Rutabaga Casserole.

Liver casserole is made much like regular scalloped potatoes, except you bake the sliced potatoes and onions in pureed fresh liver, either ground or in the blender, supplemented with milk or cream. It is available in groceries and delis.

Rutabaga casserole is equal amounts of boiled rutabagas and potatoes, mashed, dotted with butter and cream and baked again for sweetness.

Janson's Temptation is matchstick-sliced potatoes layered with chopped onions and anchovies and baked in milk.

My family makes special rye bread with raisins, caraway, and mashed potatoes in it for Christmas season.

Here in the USA commercial 'potato bread' often has no potatoes in it at all :mad:

When making fried potatoes I like to bake them first in the microwave, then peel. They are especially good at absorbing bacon grease that way.

There is a British dish called Colcannon which is very tasty. You boil potatoes, mash them, mix with chopped cabbage and bake it all together. When I was in Netherlands we ate a similar thing called 'kale-potatoes' where when the potatoes were almost done boiling, add chopped kale until it is tender, then drain and mash it all together with butter and milk.

Pompeynate

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I love making loaded baked potatoes.

Bake in the oven (so to get nice crispy skins).

Scoop out contents & mash with a little butter & sour cream.

Once mashed add some grated cheese, spring onions (scallions) or chives & if a meat eater some chopped ham or cooked bacon.

Put back into skins, add more grated cheese to top & put under a grill until cheese starts to bubble & go brown.

Nom :biggrin1:

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
fried, baked, boiled, mashed, with and without butter, with or without sour cream,
with or without any of at least 100 kinds of cheese, with or without different kinds of meat, with and without black beans,
You can do all kinds of things with a standard potato.

Which makes me get the next question, what kind of potato? Blue? Yuke.Gold?
Idaho? each potato has its own taste and its own texture and moisture content which means each potato has its own best way of being cooked and its own best choice of ingredients which go with it.

B_jdunhill

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I love making loaded baked potatoes.

Bake in the oven (so to get nice crispy skins).

Scoop out contents & mash with a little butter & sour cream.

Once mashed add some grated cheese, spring onions (scallions) or chives & if a meat eater some chopped ham or cooked bacon.

Put back into skins, add more grated cheese to top & put under a grill until cheese starts to bubble & go brown.

Nom :biggrin1:

right out of my playbook. I also like to take the babies right out from under the bush when I have em growin and bury the theft spot again like nothing happened. Boil em in chicken stock and squash em with drawn butter and pepper. So simple and so omg tasty.

Tincture, not a commonly used word...innit :)

MMMMmmm too much tincture me thinks :)