The power of money

Javierdude22: Ok, what's this all about?

Companies not paying taxes since the fiscal year of 2000? Can somebody please explain tome who is to blame for this? Is it the IRS screwing up,or are politics involved?

This sickens me to the bone man. Here we are in a so called 'less than favourable conjunctural times' and a bunch of big ass companies record earnings of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Let's see if I get this straight. Companies in the US (and let's see how things are in Europe, I think they get away with a lot there as well) don't pay taxes,  while the poorest segment of the population pays a disproportionate part of their income on taxes. The companies have layed off a stack of people, while moving operations overseas. Overseas, these companies pay their workers between 25cents-$1 an hour, under bad working conditions, while upholding the original prices for their goods that we could hardly afford WITH a job, let alone without one.

'I would like to buy those jeans please'.

Saleslady:'Wonderfull, in how many terms would you like to pay?'.

'Terms?'

Saleslady: 'Yes, but we also accept kidneys, lungs, stemcells...'

'Why is it so expensive?!'

Saleslady: 'Well,these jeans actually have bloodstains on them from when a 10 year old Burmean girl pricked herself on the sewing machine, cool huh?!'

Come on man, I am for capitalism...more or less...but capitalism never meant that companies should be free from rules. And that is what we need very quickly, strict rules.

SpeedoGuy: Jav:

I don't know how it happens.

Oregon regulators reported that Enron (which still owns the largest electric utility in the state) paid only $10 in state taxes in 2001.

Another good question is why it took the New York state attorney general, Eliot Spitzer, to investigate and prosecute blatant fraud in the mutual fund industry? State attorney general? Where was the SEC when all this was going down?

?????????????????????????????????

SG

swimguy_14: its called lobbying.

the govt needs a reset

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
It's caused by the same 'leaders' who give themselves huge raises in the middle of the night, take 'fact-finding' junkets with their families and friends all over the world, get free haircuts at work, limos, motorcades, 'leftover' money from campaign funds to pay their debts, 100% pension (plus a pension for spouses, plus longevity bonuses), the best healthcare coverage in the world, etc. etc. etc.

All paid for by guess who?

It's a good thing we don't have royalty in the US, isn't it?

lacsap1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
[quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1081702207;start=0#3 date=04/18/04 at 12:48:30]

It's a good thing we don't have royalty in the US, isn't it?
[/quote]

Long life the "president" ;)

As living in a constitutional monarchy I can tell you that
our "royalty" is a lot cheaper in the money spending then the 2 party republic lobbying system.....

ORCABOMBER: Heh. At least with Royalty, they have an audit. Business can do anything they want except fight in wars.