The power of TV advertising

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A raw look at the power of "branding" and television advertising.

Pre-school kids tested in a controlled study said even fruits and vegetables tasted better when wrapped in familiar McDonald's fast food wrapping instead of identical foods in plain wrappers.

These articles are well worth a look.

Is this just good marketing by Mickey D's or is it insidious brainwashing of a generation of youthful consumers?

McDonald's label tricks tots’ taste buds - Diet & Nutrition - MSNBC.com

AllDay : McDonald's Nation

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
<.> Is this just good marketing by Mickey D's or is it insidious brainwashing of a generation of youthful consumers?

Probably a mixture of both, while it remains to be discussed seperately in how far good marketing is a form of brainwashing.

An important factor in this studies would be the level of awareness of the McD wrapping. If the kids tested in this study are more familiar with this, they should tent to trust the contents more than they would trust the content of the unfamiliar, plain wrapping. I know that from myself, I have a distrust against plates or containers from other people.

The other strong factor here is the product/lifestyle interaction. Two products can be roughly equal in quality, yet the one with the better PR, which suggests that your lifestyle increases by using this product (what bullshit, really) sells better.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Probably a mixture of both, while it remains to be discussed seperately in how far good marketing is a form of brainwashing.

That discussion is exactly what I hope to inspire in this thread.

To begin with, its up to the parents to limit the amount of time their kids spend watching television or eating fast food.. That should be elementary. But even concerned, aware parents up against entire industries devoted to, well, brainwashing, kids into becoming compliant, conformist consumers of all the trappings of pop culture.

Where's the line between brainwashing and advertising?

Two products can be roughly equal in quality, yet the one with the better PR, which suggests that your lifestyle increases by using this product (what bullshit, really) sells better.

Exactly. That's good PR. Cigarette and beer ads in magazines aimed at 20ish young men jump immediately to mind. Clothing and jewelry ads for women.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's funny how branding works. I for one would be dubious eating anything wrapped in a Micky D's wrapper even if it were from their so called "healthy" entree menu. The brand just exudes unwholesome "garbage food" for many health concious people.

But to the regular kid out there in middle America, when you tell a lie 10,000 times you begin to believe it - I'm loving it, happy meals, playground, kid birthday parties, good food, fun, all at McDonalds X 10,000 = TRUTH. They have shamelessly poured billions into telling lies and preying on children. They are probably a primary reason for the child obesity epidemic in this country.

Unfortunately, packaging and branding are required to sell product. It has become a necessary evil to perpetuate our consumer culture. It will never go away as long as there is competition to make a buck. There is no line between brainwashing and advertising. The best we can do is educate ourselves and our kids and decide by our pocketbooks. Consumer beware.

Interesting enough there was a time when generic products were popular in yellow packaging with black lettering without all the advertising hyperbole. The fad faded quick as they became a brand onto themselves known for it's low quality sub-standard products only people on food stamps bought.

It is also interesting to note that packaging is a major source of landfill garbage in this country. Ever notice how much needless waste a meal at McDonalds generates?

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That discussion is exactly what I hope to inspire in this thread.

To begin with, its up to the parents to limit the amount of time their kids spend watching television or eating fast food.. That should be elementary. But even concerned, aware parents up against entire industries devoted to, well, brainwashing, kids into becoming compliant, conformist consumers of all the trappings of pop culture.

Where's the line between brainwashing and advertising?

Exactly. That's good PR. Cigarette and beer ads in magazines aimed at 20ish young men jump immediately to mind. Clothing and jewelry ads for women.

parents should simply limit the kinds of food their kids eat. mickey d's likes to advertise to kids in a way that their brand is familiar and comforting to them. this underlying association can stay with them the rest of their lives. if parents can keep them away, and parents can, then it is likely to have a weak affect and be displaced by health and body concerns they will aquire as they get older. as for cigs and alcohol? that's just good clean fun.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is this just good marketing by Mickey D's or is it insidious brainwashing of a generation of youthful consumers?

It's both. Do you remember the KRAFT commercials of the early 80's? An entire generation of children grew up thinking cheese was spelled K-R-A-F-T. :redface: :biggrin1:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
<.> Exactly. That's good PR. Cigarette and beer ads in magazines aimed at 20ish young men jump immediately to mind. Clothing and jewelry ads for women.

Why was smoking so popular among young men? Because everyone thought just because you smoke the brand, it makes you the Marlboro man. Take that as an example for products being advertised through a lifestyle. Or look at car ads, probably the other section where lifestyle is an important marketing factor.

I'm no parent, so I wouldn't start making advisories for other parents, but what SpeedoGuy says cuts it for me: Don't park your kids in front of the TV all the time. An alternative might be an initiative that forbids commercials for McD, KFC and all the other stuff during TV shows for kids, or the respective channels.

However, one thing is good about McD: It's the only reliable food source during times when other eateries are already closed. And the KFC near Keflavik AFB was a local attraction when you didn't like the O or E clubs.