The practicality of flowers

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by I have Foreskin, Mar 16, 2009.

1. I have Foreskin

I have Foreskin New Member

Albums:
    Okay ladies, I'd like to ask you to explain to me the concept and etiquette of giving flowers to women, because I haven't ever got it really figured out on my own.

I've never been a flower giver, I think the only time I ever did was for the high school prom, and that was in the late 80s.

I know women like flowers, but when is the right time and occassion to do it?

I think showing up with flowers on a first date is kinda early, I think that shows the guy is trying too hard. Plus if you're meeting her somewhere instead of picking her up at her place, she'd have to carry it around all evening. Impractical.

Then again, if you brought her one at home, she'd have a minute or 2 to see it then it's time to go out and leave it at home. :confused:

I can see bringing flowers now and then once you've been going out with someone for a month or more, especially if you're going to spend an evening or weekend at her place, but doing it earlier in a relationship seems weird to me.

Can anyone help me on this?

2. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm no lady, but will share two thoughts based on years of experience giving women flowers:

1) I think flowers pack the most punch when they are unexpected. Flowers on Valentine's Day or an anniversary are trite and unoriginal. Have some delivered to her at work on a totally random day and she will *love* it.

2) ALWAYS instruct florists to avoid carnations and mums. Both are cheap fillers and you will get a much more interesting (and expensive-looking) arrangement by avoiding them. This was a tip from my first girlfriend, who called these "funeral flowers," and it has served me well every since.

Hope this helps!

Steve

3. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I adore flowers!
    Have only been involved with a few men that really spoiled me with them constantly, but they were always appreciated and rewarded.

Imo, it is appropriate to give your date a small gift and flowers are easy.
    If you are not picking her up, give her something else that's small, but anytime you pick up a date or enter her home, bring some flowers. Keep in mind, some women hate flowers, but if you know she likes them, they're a simple, hard to fuck up gift - especially early on.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Flowers are never wrong.

Only one man has ever bought me flowers - others seem to have thought I was 'too practical' or something - they were all mistaken.

Thanks, sweetheart :kiss: - I still have one pressed between the pages of a book.

5. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    just remember what a very wise woman once said:

"Flowers are poor people's jewelry"

points to anyone who can properly attribute this quote without using google, ur on the honor system here.

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I think flowers would be nice.

7. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hope there is an old love of mine out there who has one of my flowers pressed between the pages of a book...

8. Principessa

Gold Member

I love flowers. I don't think it's trite or a fascist plot to give flowers to a woman for whom you have feelings on Valentines day, her birthday, or your anniversary.

I love flowers and a bouquet of wildflowers is always appreciated.

As for Thadjock's quote about flowers being poor peoples jewelry; I think that's bull shit. Flowers are always an appropriate gift while jewelry is not. Think about it, let's say you do bring her a bouquet of flowers on the first date. That is sweet and should be appreciated unless she is either allergic or a feminazi type. Show up on the same first date with a diamond heart necklace and she immediately thinks: needy, clingy, stalker, trying to buy love. It will go down hill from there unless she is a gold digger.

9. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Off the top of my head, I'm going to guess Zsa Zsa Gabor.

10. MickeyLee

Gold Member

flowers are poor people's jewelry - Karen Walker.

i don't like getting flowers. sorry.

watching something beautiful rot is not in the least bit romantic. i'm a queer girl, we don't have vases :irked:. give me a good book, a mixed CD, loan me a copy of your favorite movie... something unique to the person giving the gift, i guess.

a nice bottle of hooch is always an option.
    ml

11. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    who?

u r incorrect sir.

12. polesmoker

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    LOL. My mom told me something similar to this growing up. My man knows to skip the flowers and bring some bling.

13. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    .....cuz she aint hangin with no broke n***ah..... --kanye w.

14. polesmoker

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Pretty much. She also said flowers die, but diamonds are forever.

15. D_Mylor Mentallydaft

D_Mylor Mentallydaft Account Disabled

they make no sense, they are a waste of money ...............

and yet i give them to every woman i am courting, haven't seen in a while , is sad, whos birthday it is and holidays.......... what can i say , i'm from the south....

16. B_New End

B_New End New Member

I have always bought flowers after at least 3 months of relationship, and have only once done it for a holiday. I think surprise flowers are the best, especially if you buy them from a street vendor, and especially if you buy them from a street vendor for your girl, while she is there.
    I also know girls love it when you pick a rose from a bush. :D

Also, flowers are living, and smell nice. Jewelry, especially diamonds, is overinflated minerals.

17. MagicJohnsonFan

MagicJohnsonFan New Member

Albums:
    I would have to agree with this. Receiving flowers never fails to make me smile. Receiving them when I'm not expecting them or when they're delivered to work just adds to it. I have a few petals from the first flowers my love ever sent me and I still smile when I see them.

My grandfather never bought flowers for my grandmother, but he grew different kinds and she was never without at least one bud in a vase on the kitchen table. I always thought that was terribly sweet.

18. greatdickismydrug

greatdickismydrug New Member

Flowers have never done anything for me but I can say don't worry about "the rules" make your own.

19. Ed69

Gold Member

And my wife and daughter would tell you that diamonds are about as facinating as the cutoff saw in my garage!Diamonds are as common as gravel and used for coating on cuting tools.My daughters boyfriend gave her a set: earrings,necklace and and a ring that he paid to have resized to fit her finger.All platinum and ruby"s.I think the boy might be serious about taking care of my little girl!And yes it all started with flowers!

#19 Ed69, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  20. cbrmale

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't forget to keep giving your wife flowers after you get married too. I don't know what it is about women and flowers, but you can never go wrong when you give flowers as a present.

Draft saved Draft deleted