The practice of aborting female fetuses

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can't speak for any other woman. The only way I would consent to any type of abortion is if the fetus is deceased. Otherwise male or female I would keep it.

B_doogie888

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As long as the actual means of abortion is within certain ethical parameters, it is the mother's choice whether to abort regardless of the reason.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
pro-choice is pro-choice.

an unwanted child is an unwanted child.

feminism would call for better conditions for the girls already living as second class people. is not likely to be twisted to deny any women control of her reproductive rights.

the reality of unwanted female children being death by exposure, infanticide, or slavery. check out The Dying Rooms for bitch slap from the real world.

several countries are already facing realities of selective births on all fronts.. jobs, care givers, marriages.. and a marked shift in gender roles.

on the good side women are needed to fill jobs formerly reserved for men. these jobs require a more educated workforce opening up schooling/secondary schooling to the female population. you want to keep your now trained/skilled works on the job, leads to better health care and birth control being available to more women.

marriage rates falls, women are in a position to hold there own, or have more say in partnerships. lower birthrates slow population growth, usually the first line of justification for birth restrictions. a more independent class of women changes the stigma attached to female babies.

or...

women are stripped of all power, consigned to breeder or property status. the Atwood dystopia.

both are playing out world wide.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
the reality of unwanted female children being death by exposure, infanticide, or slavery. check out The Dying Rooms for bitch slap from the real world.

several countries are already facing realities of selective births on all fronts.. jobs, care givers, marriages.. and a marked shift in gender roles.

on the good side women are needed to fill jobs formerly reserved for men. these jobs require a more educated workforce opening up schooling/secondary schooling to the female population. you want to keep your now trained/skilled works on the job, leads to better health care and birth control being available to more women.

or...

women are stripped of all power, consigned to breeder or property status. the Atwood dystopia.

I snipped your post a bit shorter, but Preach it, MickeyLee.

For those who don't know, 'the Atwood dystopia' is a reference to The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. And it is daily life in lots of places still, where children are sold and bartered like cattle.

Kaurik

Sexy Member
Media
So to summarize, you're proposing that a skewed male-to-female ratio will lead to an increase in opportunities for women in society at large. Thereby decreasing the use of that practice.
pro-choice is pro-choice.

an unwanted child is an unwanted child.

feminism would call for better conditions for the girls already living as second class people. is not likely to be twisted to deny any women control of her reproductive rights.

marriage rates falls, women are in a position to hold there own, or have more say in partnerships. lower birthrates slow population growth, usually the first line of justification for birth restrictions. a more independent class of women changes the stigma attached to female babies.

or...

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So to summarize, you're proposing that a skewed male-to-female ratio will lead to an increase in opportunities for women in society at large. Thereby decreasing the use of that practice.

to ya OP, i am pro-choice. i acknowledge that agree or disagree i have no say in how a woman exercises her reproductive rights. simply doesn't matter how i feel about.

i'm more worried about rights and what not of ladies already walking planet earf.

my tangent suggested two possible outcomes. one increased freedoms/opportunities. the other ended with a uterus being property of the state. women being population supporters with no rights.

the good side....

WWII was a pretty good example. women filled jobs for men in the military. the place of women in American society never shifted back to pre-war expectations. the women's movement jumped from suffrage to equality.

is over simplified, but i ramble on a good day. go with it.

bad side... well... mail order brides, human trafficking, countries where women are denied education, child brides, hierodulic slaves... the lives of women are worth nothing. :frown:

could go either way.
i worry the final say might be in the hands of people with bad intentions.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
surely the simple solution is not to sex the baby during scans taken before the cut off date for an abortion? well...unless there is some gender specific genetic disorder you want to avoid passing on.

saying that, if they are that set on getting rid of girls, if the family place that little value on female life, then maybe it is more cruel to allow those girls to be born.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
surely the simple solution is not to sex the baby during scans taken before the cut off date for an abortion? well...unless there is some gender specific genetic disorder you want to avoid passing on.

saying that, if they are that set on getting rid of girls, if the family place that little value on female life, then maybe it is more cruel to allow those girls to be born.

Also bear in mind that all these prenatal tests cost rupees that the vast majority of families in India cannot afford. Poor families will still have to put the female babies out to die or bring them up to selling age. Luckily the 'middle class' in the subcontinent is slowly growing.

pcghabsy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sex determination is officially banned in India, but what would doctors not do for a quick buck?

Kaurik

Sexy Member
Media
MickeyLee, I originally misread your "or..." in your first post to mean that either you allow choice or women are stripped of power, not as two consequences of sex selection.

For the sake of argument, can't one consider the banning of sex determination as restricting choice?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MickeyLee, I originally misread your "or..." in your first post to mean that either you allow choice or women are stripped of power, not as two consequences of sex selection.

For the sake of argument, can't one consider the banning of sex determination as restricting choice?
Why? I agree than unwanted is unwanted. I say let those people gender-select themselves out of existence.

Kaurik

Sexy Member
Media
The baby could then be put to death once they're born if the father or mother is dead set on having sons as Helgaleena mentioned above.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why? I agree than unwanted is unwanted. I say let those people gender-select themselves out of existence.
when there's only one girl for every ten men, i wonder if they'll suddenly be appreciated a little more.

gonna be hard to have a son if you can't even get a wife.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The baby could then be put to death once they're born if the father or mother is dead set on having sons as Helgaleena mentioned above.

umm, are you suggesting that infanticide is preferred over an abortion?
cuz i am a bit unclear with ya intent. :confused:

when there's only one girl for every ten men, i wonder if they'll suddenly be appreciated a little more.

gonna be hard to have a son if you can't even get a wife.

current affairs in China.

Kaurik

Sexy Member
Media
umm, are you suggesting that infanticide is preferred over an abortion?
cuz i am a bit unclear with ya intent. :confused:

Sorry, I think I was unclear with that post. I asked if one could consider that banning sex determination through ultrasound or whatever to be restricting choice. Helgaleena previously mentioned that some poor families who couldn't afford these procedures could possibly resort to infanticide once the baby is born. I was inferring that by banning sex determination, some of those who would have had an abortion could resort to infanticide. Although now that I think about it, they would probably just determine the sex illegally.