The Price of Gas Where You Live

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
A few people mentioned how the mayor of London is charging commuters to enter the city. I believe the mayor of NYC plans on doing the same thing in the near future. What doesn't make much sense is that most New Yorkers don't drive. They use public transportation. It's really going to effect the people from NJ, Conn., and Long Island.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Taking this one as a high to compare against - others are posting cheaper

I'm sure this has been said but:

3.785 litres = 1 US gallon
3.65 per gallon = 0.964 US$ per litre (rounding down)
1.00 USD = 0.743161 EUR (XE.com)
0.964 USD = 0.716409 EUR
You pay .72c (EURO a litre) ????

I pay EURO 1.30+ - heading for 1.35
1.30 EUR = 1.74916 USD
So I pay $6.62 a gallon

Stop MOANING - YOUR Govt subsidises the FUCK out of your oil prices!!

I thought that government taxes constituted most of the price of a gallon of fuel in most European countries. After all Eruopean oil refineries pay approximately the same for a barrel of oil as oil refineries do in the states. British Petroleum (BP) has an edge in Europe with its North Sea oil supply and is making killer profits.

What is the percentage of government taxes collected on your fuel? In the states it might be 15-20% of the fuel cost depending on where you live.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Mapquest says the place I most often get gas at, in Eagle River, is $2.76.(I haven't filled up since this thread started, so haven't checked myself)

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
$3.289 at Von's in Pacific Beach. I use my bicycle and the trolley to commute to work. I only use the car for shopping, weekends, and road trips.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I usually walk everywhere I need to go. I also take the bus (which many here run on E-85) for longer trips to appointments, etc. As I said in my first post, I really don't feel like carrying all sorts of stuff on the bus, or especially while walking, so I'll usually ask for a ride to the store with one of my friends or family members. I know that the price of gas has curbed driving by some of the people I know. Less quick trips to the grocery store and more planning and consolidating of driving trips are some of the things that they do. Still, cars offer convenience and personal freedom that I don't think people will ever give up. Perhaps alternative fuels are the answer, but even those have problems of their own. More fuel efficient and hybrid cars would help, but not many people seem to like the ones that already exist, so how do we get them to like new ones? If I drove, I'd drive anything, but I know not everyone feels that way.

Anyway, thanks for the posts everybody!:smile:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another case of Ohio strangling its residents- $3.49 here! Looks like I get to help fund the fucking war whether I want to or not.:angryfire2:

My sympathies to our UK members. We haven't been through your growing pains though, and with our piss poor public transportaion, it's damned near impossible to get around outside a major metropolitan area without a car.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought that government taxes constituted most of the price of a gallon of fuel in most European countries. After all Eruopean oil refineries pay approximately the same for a barrel of oil as oil refineries do in the states. British Petroleum (BP) has an edge in Europe with its North Sea oil supply and is making killer profits.

It is, but forget North Sea oil, it's declining with about 60% of reserves (UK reserves nearer 88-90% depleted in the larger fields) used with an effective end by about 2030 perhaps much sooner but there's much 'interpretation' of figures. Production is about half that of 1999, maybe 1.5 million barrels per day. As far as the UK is concerned the same applies, even more so to gas. It's not good for the UK enconomy, so expect pump prices to head skyward.

What is the percentage of government taxes collected on your fuel? In the states it might be 15-20% of the fuel cost depending on where you live.

About 80% of the pump price is tax.:rolleyes:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
More fuel efficient and hybrid cars would help, but not many people seem to like the ones that already exist, so how do we get them to like new ones? If I drove, I'd drive anything, but I know not everyone feels that way.

They will 'like' them well enough when fuel is $10 a gallon - i.e. EU prices, of course by then we'll be paying $30!!

Perhaps there will be a major role for fuel cells - once the cost is more realistic.

NorKelp

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Taxes on fuel are apparantly wildly different in the US compared to Europe. While the Americans get away with a mere $3+ per gallon, the Europeans in average pay twice as much. (In Norway it's now $7,4 per gal.) It's all about politics. We buy the same oil in the same markets, which as we speak costs $71,05 a barrel (Brent). Consequently, American taxes on fuel are significantly lower than in Europe. I do understand the whining from the Americans, because you have to compare with yesterday's prices.

The most important question, however, is how much longer we can spend and consume and pollute without inflicting irremediable damages to Mother Earth. Something got to change.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Consequently, American taxes on fuel are significantly lower than in Europe. I do understand the whining from the Americans, because you have to compare with yesterday's prices.

I also understand it.

I don't sympathise (much) but I do understand the frustration felt without proper investment in public transport to offset the need to use cars for necessary journeys. As for the lazy ass, drive to the mailbox usage, well that's another matter, price hikes may reduce that one!

On public transport, I know many here use it where they can, in a broader sense I think the irrational social stigma of 'riding the bus' needs to be overcome before that one will gather much momentum and again, price hikes may help there too.

The most important question, however, is how much longer we can spend and consume and pollute without inflicting irremediable damages to Mother Earth. Something got to change.

$10, $20....$30 a gallon anyone? Seriously, it's a valid question and though it's been covered on LPSG at least one it's always good for a few rants.:smile:

flaman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
an average $2.97 here in tampa, florida, and rising daily. already ao $3.09 at some stations.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
The BP station a few blocks from my house has regular Unleaded for $2.99 a gallon. One of the Exxon stations nearby has regular for $2.96.
In my SUV (yes, I know...don't even start on it) I am supposed to use Premium, but I've been using 89 octane because it is not nearly as overpriced as Premium is.