The Professional Sports Situation In Canada

KTownBlondy: ok, i hate combination of guys and sports, but i love sports alone, and as all the other canadians here know the pro sports situation in canada is very bad right now...

with the NHL lockout, the Toronto Raptors were out ONLY SPORTS TEAM left that was worth a damn, since they had the star value of Vince Carter... they weren't very good even with Carter, but at least he was a large recognized name in the NBA. now with carter gone to the Nets and the NHL lockout, Canada has no good sports teams....

i will cheer for the Toronto Blue Jays as much as the next Canadian, but face it, they suck ass

Montreal Expos dont even count, they have the worst luck ever :(

we lost the Vancouver basketball team long ago, but they sucked anyways

so, all we have left is the NHL, and well, we dont even have them right now...

Canada has some of the best hockey teams, Vancouver Canucks (YAY MY FAVORITE), Calgary Flames, Toronto, and Montreal, all good teams. but with the NHL on lockout, Canada now has NO GOOD SPORTS TEAMS... grr :angry:

any1 else have any thoughts on this :mellow:

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Expos also don't really count because they aren't in Montreal anymore!

The Blue Jays haven't been terrible the last few years, but they have the misfortune of being in the same division as the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees. So they have little chance of finishing second or third. (Although the Yankees are heading for a fall in the next few years.) I heard that they bought the Skydome for a song though, so that should help them financially.

I'm a big hockey fan. The Kings' loss in the 1993 finals to Montreal still eats at me. (Who would have guessed that would be the last time a Canadian team won the Cup? That's just wrong.) Unlike most sports fans down here, I do miss the NHL. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the country doesn't. I'm sure the NHL will bounce back OK in Canada because they have such a strong fan base there, a hockey culture really. But I really think some of these recent expansion teams might not survive this lockout. Teams like Nashville, Columbus, Atlanta, the Florida teams. I'm not sure they're going to make it. The owners are seriously overestimating the strength of hockey as a U.S. sport. It's not even the fourth-biggest sport here now, far surpassed by NASCAR. Major league soccer gets higher ratings in some places. It's really on the verge of not being a major sport in most of the U.S. The players are overestimating their market value, I think. I don't know if a salary cap is the answer, but if several teams go under, there will be fewer roster spots left for those players. It might not ever recover south of the border. That would be a shame.

surf221: hahaha the expos...i remember i went to an expos game when i went up to canada with my girlfriend and i got the tickets b/c they were pretty cheap...we were pretty much the only ppl in our section...

the grizzlies were never that bad...but i dont think people in canada are into bball the same way we are down here...it does suck that the NHL is bitching at each other right now, especially since one of my friends was supposed to go into the draft for 2005, but now all he can do is sit around and wait, or find something else to do with himself...

you guys should get a football team...that's the ultimate spectator sport in my book

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by surf221@Jan 26 2005, 09:01 PM
you guys should get a football team...that's the ultimate spectator sport in my book
[post=277810]Quoted post[/post]​

Uh, there's already a Canadian Football League.