The Queen is dead and New Yorkers rejoice!

Mattness

Expert Member
Media
Kirkland, WA (Outside of Seattle, Washington)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OMG YES!

I lived in Manhattan when she was doing her thing with her hotels and she was SUCH a joke! I remember a sketch they did, I think on Saturday Night Live spoofing her TV commercial where she bragged that she paid attention to every detail in her hotels where they were licking the toilet bowls clean or something... it was so funny.

Here's info on her and her legal trouble for those who don't know who she is:

Leona Helmsley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OMG YES!

I lived in Manhattan when she was doing her thing with her hotels and she was SUCH a joke! I remember a sketch they did, I think on Saturday Night Live spoofing her TV commercial where she bragged that she paid attention to every detail in her hotels where they were licking the toilet bowls clean or something... it was so funny.

Here's info on her and her legal trouble for those who don't know who she is:

Leona Helmsley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for not making me feel so old Mattness. I find it odd that we Washingtonians have responded, but no NYers. lol

Kirkland is just a stones throw from us. We are Woodinville here.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why would we rejoice? I'm nowhere near your age, but I'm old enough to remember her heinous acts, and her stupid commercials (but not the SNL sketch). However, I don't think it's a good idea to rejoice in the suffering or death of another. It can only be toxic to onself. I find it to be gross, actually.

Besides. She wasn't my landlord. I wonder what color the lights will be tonight, or if it will be dark.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why would we rejoice? I'm nowhere near your age, but I'm old enough to remember her heinous acts, and her stupid commercials (but not the SNL sketch). However, I don't think it's a good idea to rejoice in the suffering or death of another. It can only be toxic to onself. I find it to be gross, actually.

Besides. She wasn't my landlord. I wonder what color the lights will be tonight, or if it will be dark.

The title was tongue in cheek. Much like a NY Post headline. Anyone's passing is a somber moment. I was just curious who remembered her.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The news just broke here that Leona Helmsley AKA The Queen of Mean has died.

Anyone remember her? I do. What a piece of work she was.

The title was tongue in cheek. Much like a NY Post headline. Anyone's passing is a somber moment. I was just curious who remembered her.

OMG! I so totally remember her! I new exactly who you meant as soon as I saw the heading. I'm sure her family and friends love and miss her but she really put the itch in bitch. She probably had undiagnosed bi-polar disorder not to mention OCD. The poor thing.:frown1:

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
SNL had a funny scene of Jim Baker, Leona, Zsa Zsa all breaking out of jail together. They all end up driving off a cliff.

Also, Suzanne Pleshette did The Leona Helmsly Story which is equal in camp to Mommoie Dearest...love it

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OMG! I so totally remember her! I new exactly who you meant as soon as I saw the heading. I'm sure her family and friends love and miss her but she really put the itch in bitch. She probably had undiagnosed bi-polar disorder not to mention OCD. The poor thing.:frown1:

From the reports, I'd say it was OCD. I remember an incident a former employee related about a banquet at one of the Helmsley Hotels. The salad was brought out and she flew into a rage because the lettuce leaves were still wet.

Funny thing is when you look back at it, OCD wasn't really a big understood thing until recently, back then, you were just bitchy.

Even more interesting is how Leona tells the story of the romance between her and Harry. It really did sound romantic, but of course media tore it apart saying she was a gold digger, she saw $$ signs, etc. maybe she did or maybe she didn't, but I would like to think that Leona was genuine in her love for Harry.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I remember her. Like so many of the wealthy and powerful she was quite full of herself. Helmsley was the one who said something like: "Only the little people pay taxes."

Still, I try not to make a habit of celebrating death, even the death of cranks like Helmsley, because I fear it might become too short a gap between celebrating death and causing death.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I remember her. Like so many of the wealthy and powerful she was quite full of herself. Helmsley was the one who said something like: "Only the little people pay taxes."

Still, I try not to make a habit of celebrating death, even the death of cranks like Helmsley, because I fear it might become too short a gap between celebrating death and causing death.

Very wise. Nice quote from you too. :smile:

Like I said, she was pretty mean in the public eye, but I'd like to think she had her redeeming qualities.

Classic case of narcissistic personality disorder. I have no sympathy for her and I'm sure legions of mistreated employees and taxpayers have none either. If there's any karmic justic out there, be on the lookout for a newborn Pekingese with too many teeth and a hellacious temper.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Her money to charity was a tax right off and an attempt to look better to the public. I'm not saying something kind about her now that she is gone. Some people are awful and deserve no forgiveness. She got off on people seeing her do shit to other people. If you ever read Carol Channing's book...which is actually a hoot...she has a story about LH. Totally funny in that it is so awful. I mean when Dolly says she was a cunt...need one say more???

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The news just broke here that Leona Helmsley AKA The Queen of Mean has died.
Anyone remember her? I do. What a piece of work she was.

She always had a permanent scowl :mad: on her face. One that even a face lift could not remove.

I also heard she will be placed in a $1.5 million mausoleum.